Football Manager 2007

Dan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Owen is fantastic if you mould him into your side right.

Samaras and Doyle aren't good enough in the game. Get rid of them.

So, give us a glimpse of your squad and a little bit on each player. :P

Managing Southampton, had a takeover, plenty of cash.

GK - Shay Given - Newcastle were relegated and I needed a new goalkeeper

DR - D. Srna - £6m odd - Has been average in the Premiership

DL - G Bale - Goes without saying.

DC - J. Woodgate - Madrid wanted rid, so I beat off a host of clubs. £4.2m

DC - C. Davies - Signed him when I was in the Championship

DMC - Makoun - £7.5m

MC - Sissoko - Went to Villareaal from Liverpool, I met his release clause. £6.75m

AMR - Shaun Wright Philips - £10m - Chelsea wanted him out

AML - Patrice Evra - £4m - United wanted rid

FC - Owen - Snitch from Newcastle after they went down

FC - Hunteleer - £20m + Maldonando

It is a complete overhaul, but exactly what I needed if I want this team in Europe. I also have Micah Richards for something like £5m after City went down. I also rotate Matthew Upson in DC, I signed him for £5m. This is a nice story; he was literally dropped at Birmingham City, for whatever reason so I signed him, he scores the goal that sends us to the Premiership..against Birmingham City. :P

I also have Dave Nugent, Fowler, Kerzahkov (Shit) and John O'Shea. O'Shea is out for 7-9 months. :(

Basically I picked up a load of guys from the Championship, then when we were promoted picked up the guys that the big clubs didn't want anymore. I like my team.

Edited by Lost Soul

Ehh my team changes quite a lot, but I'll try.

GK - Jim Ford, picked him up for free from Ross County. Beat off Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton for his signature due to my first option clause being activated :)

DR - Jorge, signed him from the Portugal U21 squad for about £600k and a bit of of a sell on fee.

DL - Jelle Van Damme, was here when I took over the club. Useful player, just returning from a month long injury or so.

DC - Kevin Pezzoni, was here when I took over the club. Young German central defender, quite good.

DC - Lucien Clement, signed him from the France U19 squad. Very good young player, played well so far.

DMC - Micah Richards, completed the signing in the summer transfer window for £9.25m when Man City went down.

MR - Juan Carlos Menseguez, was here when I got here. Questions whether he could keep the position, has played superbly in Matty Underwoods absence.

ML - Morten Gamst Pederson, perhaps one of the best all round players in the Premiership and on my side. Still alternates the position frequently.

MC - Richard Smallwood, good central midfielder. Was here when I got here only just came back from an injury last season, good central midfielder, plays England U21.

FC - Charles Andre Doudin, signed him when I first arrived at Blackburn. Scored 7 in 12 to help us stay in, has played less regularly this season as I have more strikers but if push comes to shove, he'd still be my number one striker.

FC - Daniel Nilsson, scout found him up in Scandanavia. Was signed promptly from MyPa for £220kand has scored 6 goals in 17 appearances for me. Quick (he's Finnish - so, obviously), young and a good finisher.

However I have several players who can come in.

Michael McGovern and Brad Friedal - even at 39 - are two top notch keepers. So I like my goalkeeper situation. Tried to sign Babacan Volkan but I scooped up Ford on a free.

Kieran Lee played a lot last season when I could sign anyone. He doesn't start but the fact he's a DR/L MR/L/C means he's always on bench due to his versatility.

Kamil Dabrowski a 19 year old from Poland with a shit regen picture. He was recommended to me in every single Poland World Cup match so I picked him up. He's DL/C, not as good as I'd hoped but can be very competent, will try and work him in more.

Zurab Khizanishivili, still here, plays a lot and is a good solid centreback.

Lukas Gross, a 16 year old Czech player. Hasn't improved since I signed him despite playing regularly, and has played agaisnt the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal too but still yet to improve or become worse, his stats are constant, any ideas? I might put him in the U18.

Steve Finnan, still going at 33 but is too slow to play really, but he has awesome stats so unless he starts bitching he'll just sit in the squad.

Mamadi Keita and Robbie Savage. Two different ends of the age spectrum, a young Guinean who struggles to find a place, third choice MC behind Smallwood and Savage, who still has all the stats, and his slowness doesn't really affect him at MC with Richards right behind him.

Sergio Peter, not playing, will look to offload him despite being good because he's good enough to play. Just doesn't manage to feature. Will follow Ricardo Quaresma out the door, but not for £11m ¬_¬

Steven Reid, plays quite a lot but isn't first choice. Good player but will probably be pushed out slightly and perhaps sold on.

Lucas Castroman, a striker who was here when I got here. Top scored last year with 12 but isn't featuring much, can score, is quick but I just can't seem to get him into the squad and perfoming regularly. Still quick for a 30 year old (16) and plays occassionally.

Matty Underwood and Keith Treacy. Two Irish wingers, right and left respectively. Underwood is out injured at the min so Menseguez has come in and performed excellently. Treacy and Gamst rotate a lot, both really good young prospects who I don't want to let go.

Lauri Dalla Valle and Matt Derbyshire. 4th and 3rd strikers respectively (causing big problems for Castroman!). Both very quick and good, Derbyshire can score goals and does so, and headers too, so I try to play him regularly. Dalla Valle is young so I'm trying to give him some time but it's hard with so many good strikers.

Some players have been shoved in the reserves (De Vita, Chamagol) some have been sold (Samba, Quaresma) but I'm happy with my squad. I'm 6th in the league after 20 games but look at this, 2 points behind 3rd... 7 points ahead of 16th. Very tight league. Fans want to rebuild, board want to avoid relegation, I want midtable, could MAYBE push for Europe. See how we are going into the final 1/3 or 1/4 or so.

I'll do mine in a second, but Kevin Doyle scored 47 goals for me last year and was the fans player of the year. He put anything and everything away, i think Samaras, but I don't think I'll get enough for him, for a quality replacement, I would be hoping for someone with 18/19 Heading to replace him.

Where do you see yourself in say 5-10 years into the game?

I want to bring this Southampton side to the Champions League, into the knockout stage. That is my one aspiration. I actually want to take over Real Madrid once I achieve that and try and bring back the glory days there, maybe if the job pops up in three or so years I will have to consider.

Depends what pops up. I want to win the Premiership and La Liga at some point, and the Champions League. Would also like to manage in Peru or Chile, and perhaps a national side. Taking most squads to either new heights, as in improving them or winning the league, or winning a trophy at most clubs.

Not that any of them will mean anything to anyone:

Thurrock 2008/09

GK: Josh Clapham - Tried to loan him from Plymouth, but the deal fell through when his contract ran out. Signed him when he got fed up of the dole three months later. He's great for my level, but isn't going to be anything special when I get into the football league.

DR: Kevin Phillips - Turks and Caicos Islands youngster. Fairly decent, but probably not going to improve.

DL: Ashley Probets - Fast, and doesn't get sent off for every attempted tackle, so he'll do for now.

DC: Brian Sheppard - Also from the Turks and Caicos Islands, basically only signed him to make Phillips happy, but he actually turned out quite well.

DC: Lee Chaffey - Been the rock in defence this season, but having Pace 5 at 24 years of age isn't going to keep him in the side for long. I like my defenders to be at least fairly mobile. Stats aren't great, but form seems to be.

DM: James Hunt - Signed from Rovers basically because I like him (sorry, Tom), injury pretty much ruined his pace, but he's my club captain, so... I can deal. Best passer of the ball in the squad. Probably in the league.

DM: Gary Fisken - Awful stats, but seems to have plugged the gap pretty well in Woody's absence. Definately second-string though. Doesn't seem to mind either, which is useful.

(A)MC: Nicky Adams - Basically only in the team because he's the only one that can play there and isn't shit. Will be replaced ASAP.

FR: Amos Foyewa - A God amongst Men. Or at least, a fairly competent footballer amongst a bunch of pub leaguers. 20 goals in 30 games, never complains, and only 27. Hopefully will be here for a while.

FL: Lino Goncalves - Technically a right winger, but can play on the left, so I shoved him up front and he's done brilliantly. On loan from Fulham (for the last season and a half), we basically would be relegated without him.

FC: Craig McMillan - Not really exceptional, but gets the job done if you give him a chance or two. Often shoots from 300 miles out though, which is quite annoying. Must've been tutored by Lampard.

Special mentions to Steve Torpey, who can play on the left wing or up front, so often subs for Goncalves or McMillan. Brilliant set piece taker, but fairly average otherwise. Often bring him on late-on, because he's quite speedy. Won a few games that way. Also Chris Woods, who's my regular DM partner for Hunt, but is out with an injury at the moment. My record signing, due to the fact he's the only player I've paid money for.

As for 5-10 years time, hopefully I'll be out of the Conference South by then ¬_¬ My cup run should get my reputation up next season, I hope. I don't plan to leave Thurrock unless it's a huge jump in quality of club - or Bristol Rovers.

Edited by Farmer Reil

In 5-10 years time, I hope to make Forest a top 4 side, possibly with a cup or two in the bag. I've already tried managing England, failed, and resigned. My ultimate goal (as always) is to get to the top of the Hall of Fame on the game...highest I've ever got was third.

vassell.jpg?t=1181244617

Daniel Vassell :wub:

One of the only reason's I stuck with Forest at the end of last season after winning the Premiership, I wanted to see him make that final push into the first team. He hasn't disappointed, absolute quality. Made his England debut as well, scoring from a freekick.

And the skin's called Inverno, before anyone asks ¬_¬

Anyways, haven't done one of these in a while;

Nottm Forest 2020/21

GK. Kim Hansen (23). I finally found a decent keeper. He cost me £7.9million, but he's the first consistent keeper I've had in years.

DL. Nicolas Fernandez (27). £6.5m from Lyon at the start of the season, has settled in really well. I've got him tutoring his eventual replacement as well, but he'll be good for another two or three years.

DR. Jozsef Somogyi (24). Right back was another problematic position, I almost signed him at the beginning of the 2020 season but the transfer window closed. Got him in January though for £2.5m, hasn't started too badly, and I now have two decent wingbacks. Good tacklers, crossers, dribblers and passers. Both quick and strong.

DC. Daniel Vassell (19!). The captain, fucking awesome. That screenshots a bit out of date, his value's now shot up to £14million.

DC. Masahiko Koizumi (24). The only issue I have with Vassell is his marking, but Koizumi makes up for that. Not particularly fast but he's got excellent positioning as well.

--

AML. Michael Fischer (20). £6m from Werder Bremen in January. Was originally just backup, but came in after my first choice picked up an injury. He's since recovered, but I'm not dropping Fischer. His form's been too good.

AMR. Alexey Kudryashov (23). Good old Russia, a constant source of quick skillful wingers. Signed for £80k back in 2018, now worth £8.25m after two really good seasons. Barca are interested, they can fuck off.

DMC. Alexendre Garnier (26). To this day I wonder why Mallorca offered him to me - for free. Arrived in January 2020 and played in 8 games, getting an average rating of 7.13. This season he's got 7.38 over 24 league games, and pops up with crucial goals as well.

AMC. Chris Jackson (29)/Alessandro Carbone (17). The only position where I'm still undecided on whose best. Jackson's England's best midfielder, but gets injured a lot. Carbone, bought for £22k, has found himself in the first team much more than originally planned and scored the last minute goal that took us into the CL final. At one point there were 15 or so clubs all chasing him, and it took a massive contract to keep him after the chairman accepted a bid over my head.

--

FC. Luis Gonzalez (24). Signed from New York Red Bulls for £500k just before I came into the Premiership. 19 goals in 24 games last season, but this year he's been really disappointing. I'll probably replace him with Santiago Moreno (19) next season, whose just been recalled from a loan at Juventus.

FC. Joáo (23). I took a gamble on him, spunking £20m of my transfer budget on him at the beginning of the season. 22 goals in 33 games this season though, as well as 10 assists. Just got injured though, and I think he'll miss the CL final, which is really shit.

------------

We've won the Premiership for the second season in a row (been in the Prem for three years), got two League Cups, and we're now in the CL final against Bayern as well. I want to go to Spain next, but I'll probably stick with Forest to see how some of the youngsters I've brought in go.

Hopefully my first-choice 11 for next season, without the essay this time :shifty:

GK: Jose Manuel Reina - he's had three really good seasons (including one last season), and one poorish season the one before last. But he's consistent and statistically he's one of the best keepers on the game so he's not going anywhere.

DR: Cristian Zaccardo - bought him last season and he had a good first season plagued by injury. Hopefully he'll be just as good this year.

DL: John Arne Riise - meh, his first two seasons were great but over the past two years his ratings have suffered. Carlinhos was excellent in the games I let him play there last year, though, so maybe it's time to give him priority.

DC: Vincent Kompany - only bought him in January for half of what I got for Paletta. He's already the best defender in my team. I know Kompany's supposed to be awesome on these games and he's considered a "named player", but I scouted about four or five and he had the most reasonable price, and was the youngest. So it's not like I just went and bought all the people like him, Vanden Borre and Akinfeev at the start or anything. I feel dirty, but only slightly dirty :shifty:

DC: Daniel Agger - he's so consistant and dreamy. I don't know why he isn't worth more than 9m. What a player. Him and Kompany have collectively kicked Carragher out of the side. I love Agger, in real life too, and I'll never sell him. Never!

MR: Quaresma - just bought him for 23m, which is a steep price, but he was the best choice and I have 40m left anyway. The way I see it, Mark Gonzalez is so injury prone that I haven't renewed his contract this season and he's left the club. Gonzalez played left wing, and used to alternate with N'Zogbia when he was fit. Meanwhile on the right wing I had Luis Garcia (awesome awesome awesome, but old), Pennant and Paul Anderson (future star extraordinare), but Pennant wasn't pulling his weight so I decided to sell him. If anything my team lacked last year because I didn't have the consistency on the wings I've usually had. Anyway, long story short, I've decided to bring Quaresma in to lead the right flank for a few years while Anderson matures into a star player, and I've swapped Luis Garcia back over to the left flank to partner N'Zogbia. Hopefully we'll see less of Garcia because I need to build for the future.

ML: Charles N'Zogbia - bought him in the first season for 7m, he's now worth 16, which is great considering he hasn't played a huge amount of games. Originally intended him to be centre midfield replacement for Gerrard once Gerrard goes to the farm to die, but Luis Garcia and Mark Gonzalez both got injured so he got the chance to show how awesome he is on the left flank. It all worked out well anyway, since now I realise he's not a box-to-box machine like Gerrard and I dunno why I bought him in the first place. Glad I did, though.

MC: Steven Gerrard - enough said

MC: Momo Sissoko - he's pushed Andrea Pirlo out of the side with his fantastic performances over the past two seasons. Gerrard and Pirlo are both in their thirties, so now THEY'LL alternate while Sissoko hopefully stays constant.

FC: Gonzalo Higuain - bought him for 16.5, he's now worth 30. A superb buy, he's only 22 and he's such a brilliant player. Had an injury-plagued year last season but I had more than enough depth to cope. Fans' player of the year in his first season, and when he came back from injury last year in March, he still managed to bang in 10 or 11 before the end of the season. Fantastic player. About as good as they'll ever get.

FC: Michael Owen/Darren Bent - see, this is the only position I'm not entirely sure on. Owen's into his thirties now so ideally Bent'll be seeing more time on the field, and since Bent was my top scorer last year and my fans' player of the year, I'll have no problem with that. It's just that Bent statistically isn't as good as Owen, so we'll see if he can keep up his freakish good form, and if he can't I'll have to drop him with a heavy heart. But he should be able to with the assists my midfield usually hand out.

Others - Carlinhos, Pirlo, Paul Anderson and Luis Garcia have been covered - but I have Juan Manuel Garcia Cabrera (only signed him for his name), who's a great up-and-coming right back. With any luck he'll be ready to fill Zaccardo's shoes in a couple of years. Then I have Jamie Carragher obviously, who always worries me when he plays. When he's good he's REALLY good, but when he's bad he's about as bad as it gets. I also have Godwin Antwi who's ready to break into the first team so I'll be trying to give him more first team football this year than he got two seasons ago. He's used to first team football now, having spent a season on loan at Zaragoza and doing well. Peter Crouch is still here, and that's only because Man City wouldn't accept any offers for Samaras, who on my game has been touted as a good signing by Eusebio the awesomeness. All the other strikers with good heading just aren't as tall as I want. I know Crouch's heading is wayward, but my strikers are all fast so they can run onto his balls wherever they end up.

Summer transactions of note so far:

OUT

Mark Gonzalez - contract expired

Dirk Kuyt - contract expired, snapped up by Sampdoria. Thank fuck he's finally gone.

Jermaine Pennant - contract expired, went to Celtic.

Jack Hobbs - 3.5m and a 50% sell-on clause to Arsenal. I have no room in my squad for him even though he's a quality defender so hopefully he does well there and earns me some money.

Aaron Niguez - out on loan somewhere with any luck. Played well in the games he played last season but I'm going to loan him out every season until I can give him more games, because he needs more than I can offer him at the moment.

Tomasso Franchi - my AMAZING 18 year-old prodigy. I found him as a 16 year-old and took him to Merseyside. Everybody wants him, some were willing to pay about 16m, but he's not going anywhere. Homegrown FTW. Anyway, the reason he's here is because I've just accepted about a million loan offers for him so hopefully he'll end up somewhere.

IN:

Quaresma

The transfer window is boring for me at the moment because my team is so immense. As for where I want my team to be in 5 years? Dominating the league, hopefully. I have the talent, I just need the consistency. Strangely enough in 5 years my team shouldn't have changed much. Reina in goal, Carlinhos and Garcia Cabrera the full-backs, Agger and Kompany centrebacks, Anderson right wing, N'Zogbia left wing, Momo/Franchi holding midfielder and Niguez and Higauin up front. If anything my team is already perfected for the next five seasons with one exception: Gerrard's replacement. I'm eyeing up De Rossi at the moment and I'll probably make an offer for him next season.

EDIT: So maybe that turned into an essay after all. I dunno, I'm just not succinct :-/

Edited by Pesci Soze

Hobbs has had an interesting career on my game, he was sold to Wigan in 2008 for £2.6m and had two average seasons there. He then went back to Liverpool for £10m in 2010, and was brilliant. Probably the best English defender over seven year or so.

Was sold to Everton in 2014 for £12m (I signed him ¬_¬), and was the heart of my three man defence. He had a couple of poor seasons, after I left of course, but has turned it round again.

ARGH!

I fucking HATE IT when you go on a good run of form, and beat teams in the top five, then lose with the same team, to bottom-of-the-table Bishops fucking Stortford, who haven't won since December.

It's fucking annyoing. It's not even as if Stortford got lucky, we just didn't play at all.

Opening game of the season, I own Luton, getting a goal disallowed though. Then my keeper screws up and they score. Then they disallow another one of my goals. We're onto the last five minutes and Owen slams one in the upright, followed by Maldonado hitting the opposite upright, and Ashley Young banging it to the stands. With a minute left, Moore comes along and scores twice an we win in 2 minutes. >_>

Then we go against Reading. Luckily last game I realized I had my defense too far up and being too offensive, so I lowered both of those and took out the offside trap to see if they fared better. The opening goal was scored by one of the defenders...in his own goal. Then a great pass from an 18-year old fullback I bought left Owen scoring a one-on-one. And this time my defense never made a huge mistake.

Oh, and Ze Roberto went to another team which I forgot. And so did Downing.

Luton are funny. I'm randomly in a war of words with them because I saw that my old assistant manager, Pako Ayestaran, was now their manager, so I said I respected him, but he replied back saying he was unsure of me. And I'm good friends with Gary Johnson (:wub:) because of his Bristol City ties, and the Galatasary manager, just because. Oh, and Livermore of Preston.

After signing Jim Ford for a free from Ross County at the start of the season, and beating off Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton to his signature - I thought that was the end of it and I had the next best goalkeeper for nothing.

No. Chelsea have just offered me £5.25m plus 25% sell on clause, and Liverpool offered me just flatout £5.25m.

Both of which have been rejected, he's only worth £2.7m but then again he's aged just 20. He has low eccentricty and tendency to punch, but his other technical and physical stats are all immense. I don't want to let him go, but if someone comes in with an astronomical bid, it may be hard to turn it down.

EDIT: As soon as I posted, Arsenal came in with an identical bid to Chelsea's. Then Manchester United wanted to enquire how much he was worth, I've rejected all offers and told them he's not for sale. It's going to be like Keith Treacy, Matthew Underwood and Lauri Dalla Valle all over again where I have to stave off bids from the same teams twice a week.

Edited by IAceI

Don't be silly, everyone loves Luton, the team is full of drinking problems and bung issues, but it's still all good.

My Portsmouth team:

GK: Shay Given/Tim Krul : I shelved out around 9 million for Shay after the second season when I'd managed to get into Europe. I had used Ben Foster for a season on loan, but then he was sold to Rangers before I got a chance to nip in. Shay is easily up there in my favourite signings, he's so damn consistant. Tim Krul, another from Newcastle, I signed him when David James retired as a back-up to Shay, will hopefully overtake him in a year or two.

DR: Mark Wilson : Signed from Celtic for about 3 million and has been a revelation at right back, he doesn't let me down and is always around the 7/8 mark. Is attracting interest from abroad, but I can't see myself selling him anytime soon.

DL: Matthew Taylor/Gareth Bale : Matty Taylor is only one of two original Portsmouth players in the squad, but is now more or less a back-up for everyone on the left. He can still do a job. Gareth Bale was signed this season from Celtic for about 6 million, and is doing alright so far.

DC: Micah Richards/ Curtis Davies : Just signed Micah who will invariable play in the team ahead of Davies these days because he is that class above. Davies however has been key in our title wins in the last few years and will get his oppertunity, he still has hat quality that will be successful.

DC: Phillippe Senderos/Fabricio Coloccini : Senderos will play here, unless I find a better DMC than Fabricio, if not then Fabricio will move back into this position. Coloccini was a free transfer signing and easily my best on the game. He wins player of the year awards for fun and is my captain.

DMC: Denilson/Fabricio Coloccini : Denilson is good, but not as good in this position as Fabricio. FC will play here with Denilson as a backup if he has to move back into the defence. I signed Denilso after having two successful loan spells here from Arsenal. He was, at the time key in us winning the title for the first time.

MR: Gary O'Neill/ Theo Walcott : Signed Theo from Blackburn for a hefty 15 million, but he seems to be very injury prone and therefore has never had a clean run in the side. This has benefited O'Neill the other original Portsmouth player in the squad, as he gets long runs on the right wing, and does a damn fine job.

ML: Jefferson Farfan/ Julius Wobay : Julius Wobay is a funny story, I asked Curtis Davies to recomend me a player and because they both play for the same country he told me about Wobay. Now he is very versatile and can play in a array of positions, he was signed for 1.5 million and has been worth every penny, a great signing. Jefferson Farfan was being wasted at Wigan as they fell out of the Premiership, so I offered them the 5 million they were asking and got myself a great player down the left wing.

AMC: Freddie Adu/Sergio Tejera : Sergio was recommended by my scouts after watching a Chelsea youth team game. He and Miroslav Stoch both stood out so i spend 7 million on both put together about three years ago. Stoch is out on loan at Norwich and looks pretty much ready, so i may play him next year. Tejera however lifted a poor Plymouth team into the playoffs and then into the Premiership. I then played him in the pre-season friendlies and he was amazing, worth a place in the side. However, Freddie Adu has been better in his three years since i signed him from Fulham a real top notch performer. I'm glad im spoilt for choice here.

FW: Niklas Bentdner/Giorgios Samaras : My target men, i've just signed Bentdner for an amount of money that i sharn't name because it's too much and I know it. He does however do a job, not that he really gets much chance. Samaras is a god. Every since i poached him when he was unhappy at City he has been amazing. I play him as a target man, and not only does he score goals he sets them up too. He is easily my favourite signing and he is now one of Portsmouths favoured personel.

FW: Klaas Jan-Huntelaar/Victor Anichebe : Klaas has had a bad couple of seasons lately and is now up for transfer after scoring about 10 in 40 or so appearances, the worst ratio of all my strikers. Shame, he had a great first season, but he has completely gone off the boil. Victor is almost the finished article, he is getting close to being a great striker, but he just isn't there yet. This is the area that really needs improving if we are to stay high in the league.

So there we have my Portsmouth team in 2011, after winning three league titles and the Champions League. I am thinking of leaving but it might be a bit sad if I do, I love this team.