Do you still listen to albums?

MDK

I was talking with my mate down the nuclear and I asked him if he still listened to full albums, and he has the same problem as me. Ever since I started burning CD's, downloading them and using an mp3ingamajig, I've pretty much stopped listening to new full albums. Its only old ones that I have listened to in the past that I can really dig. I can't stop myself making random playlists, I have had to make an effort to listen to new albums.

Has the mp3 generation killed off your album listening? What say you?

I still buy albums, I still listen to full albums (though my attention span has waned, so I often miss the last few songs on an album for whatever reason....that has more to do with me generally, than the MP3 age).

The only time I really listen to random stuff is on my iPod.

When I download, I download full albums, and even when I find I only like one song from an album, I always end up playing the whole album. I used to be into making random playlists, but I have over the last year started listening through whole albums like religiously.

And many bands (I reckon) make their albums in a way that one song is supposed to lead in from another. For quite a few albums, I believe you don't get the whole feeling for the songs if you don't listen it through from the start to the end.

In fact I have all my music sorted out into albums in foobar2000 (my media player). Then I have it play random albums, where it picks an a album, plays the whole album, then pick a new album, and then play the whole album.

I'll listen to full CD's of my favorite bands when they come out but I rarely listen to them otherwise. If I find a song I really like from a band, I'll listen to 3 or 4 other songs off the album to see how the rest sound.

My mp3 player isn't big enough (128MB) to hold full albums so I just put my favorite songs of the moment on it.

Kinda, I guess. I mean, I still listen to and buy full albums but occassionally I put on something like Gary Numan's Cars or Gary Jules' Mad World cover.. but usually I listen to full albums.

When I get a new album I always listen to it start to finish before adding it to my playlist. It's the only way, to me, to get a true sense of the album and how good it is as a whole.

Also, I listen to albums start to finish on my iPod all the time, usually at least one per day.

It all depends. If I am listening to my iPod then I just skip around from album to album, band to band. I, however, make a point to listening to an entire album when I first purchase it. Also, my car has a CD player so I make a point of not hooking my iPod into the car and just bring albums.

I just normally download what I listen to, and listen to it like I am now.. in run though mode before I realize I am listening to a song that I'm not into a the moment and then change it. I actally find myself clicking onto my play list, doing a few scrolls with my wheel mouse and double clicking in a random place. Other times I just want to hear a few songs over and over again. If I like a band, I still buy their albums if I have the money, even if I have all the songs on my computer.

In the past, I couldn't get albums, so I downloaded individual tracks. Now I can though, but I only do it for really good albums (albums which every song I like). Not many albums on my mp3 player though, although I've burned a lot more on CD. I have a lot more individual songs on my mp3 player, but my shuffle function sucks, so usually I just shuffle within a folder.

Edited by sirdavinator

Funny, I actually listen to albums more than I did then I didn't download everything. I've grown accustomed to, after a download, putting the album on play and listening to it, see if I like it. If I do, then I'll listen to it.

Rarely do I listen to my music on random/shuffle/etc. because there's a lot of stuff on here (my roommates') that I don't like and before that, I just generally can't enjoy just one song on an album, as I feel it loses it's value as part of that album, which in the case of some, *cough*Blood Mountain *cough*, is a masterpiece.