I need more power metal

MalaCloudy Black

Hammerfall are all kinds of ace. "Hero's Return" = THE cheesy power metal song.

Edited by Preacher Britain

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken is awesome. One Crimson Night is awesome.

The old studio albums sound like they're playing in slow motion. So for that reason they're only the FIFTH best power metal band ever. So there.

Edit: And fuck you, while I was typing this I fell off Teldrassil.

Hey.

you all suck. Get back to reccomending.

PS Bushy: Stick to extreme metal. Running Wild still suck

BG are very similar to Iced Earth. Just with a German accent and Tolkienien lyrics. But the Helloween/Queen thing is a good one. Except for the "Helloween being completely different" thing.

More reccomendations:

- Actually listening to the ones we've already listed? :shifty:

- Edguy. Just in case.

- Aina

- Angra

- Epica

- Zonata

As for BG albums: Blind Guardian Live owns face unless you hate live albums. A Night At The Opera is my personal favourite, as not only does it have my favourite BG song - Harvest of Sorrow - it also has Precious Jerusalem, Battlefield and The Soulforged. And even the songs that aren't completely awesome are really good. Otherwise damshow is pretty much on the money.

Edited by Cap'n Jean-Luc Picaaaarghd

Blind Guardian isn't similar to Iced Earth at all. Iced Earth are a shitty thrash/power hybrid band that repeat the same riffs over and over. You've heard one IE album, you've heard them all. Seriously. Schaffer, learn new riffage. OH MY WE HAVE A NEW VOCALIST WE'RE SO DIFFERENT NOW.. nope.. same riffs. Same crap.

Whereas Blind Guardian, um, isn't (a shitty power/thrash hybrid).

Hammerfall

Dragonforce

Rhapsody

Other bands.

I'd possibly agree with that. I've heard OF Edguy, but not anything BY them, and on the point of Blind Guardian, I have "A Night at the Opera" by them and, whilst it's not an outright BAD album, it's nothing special at all. Plus the leads vocals irritate me something chronic. He doesn't have a typical ball crunching high pitched stereotypical power metal voice... which I tend to prefer when it comes to power metal (hence liking Hammerfall et al).

I think, from the bands mentioned, I'd go...

Hammerfall & Dragonforce

Nightwish (although, they are more symphonic, but heh...)

Rhapsody

**decent gap**

Helloween

Angra

Kamelot

Stratovarius

Sonata Arctica (did a good cover of 'Over the Hills and Far Away'... the Gary Moore one, not the Led Zep one)

**large gap**

Epica (I dislike the deathy vocals that pop up now and then, BUT they are generally better than from the one album of each that I own)

Blind Guardian

**small gap**

Manowar

Edited by Preacher Britain

BG are very similar to Iced Earth. Just with a German accent and Tolkienien lyrics. But the Helloween/Queen thing is a good one. Except for the "Helloween being completely different" thing.

Dude, listen to Follow the Blind and Batallions of Fear and tell me their leading influence wasn't Helloween's Walls of Jericho. Kai Hansen sang with them on "Valhalla" after all. I'll agree that they don't sound like Helloween now, except in guitar-work. But like a lot of power metal bands starting out in the late 80's and early 90's they began with a Helloween-esque sound.

Edited by damshow

Blind Guardian isn't similar to Iced Earth at all. Iced Earth are a shitty thrash/power hybrid band that repeat the same riffs over and over. You've heard one IE album, you've heard them all. Seriously. Schaffer, learn new riffage. OH MY WE HAVE A NEW VOCALIST WE'RE SO DIFFERENT NOW.. nope.. same riffs. Same crap.

Whereas Blind Guardian, um, isn't (a shitty power/thrash hybrid).

It worked for AC/DC :shifty:

Oh, and Iced Earth own most of the bands mentioned, to be honest....even if most of their stuff is pretty similar.