Your Favourite Album?

Liam

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, the album I'm most enjoying is The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 - Rolling Thunder Revue 1975 by Bob Dylan. It's a live album, but there's some amazing performances of his songs, new lyrics to many and even complete reworkings of some. Really awesome.

But my favourite album of all-time is Powerage by AC/DC. Probably their most underrated album, and got lost in the shuffle between Let There Be Rock and Highway to Hell, but Powerage is just perfect hard rock. There are no bad songs, and all are at least very good, with most being great.

God, so many to chose from. I'm going to do something odd, considering there are several albums that I think are flawless, and have no bad songs, and pick one that I think has a couple of weak songs but makes up for it with early awesomeness and say...

B00008DKBK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

OK Computer is probably pretty close, as is Audio of Being, but Avalanche is the only CD I've bought twice, so yeah.

This is a very tough choice, and the three albums that I'd even consider are so different and in all honesty; rather forgetable in the grand scheme of things. However, they are the only albums I can think of that have consistently kept me listening for years and years. None of them contain a defining song that I'd place on a top ten list of songs for the ages, and none of them are musically amazing, but without a shadow of a doubt, they're three albums that I can listen to wherever, whenever.

The two contenders;

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

But the definitive album of my entire life?

B00006F1N8.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bright Eyes - Lifted, or the story is in the soil, keep your ear to the ground.

From the moment it starts playing to the moment it finishes it takes me from joy to ecleticism, via sadness and confusion, and it just works so well. The styles clash (going from a trancey electronic backbeat in 'Lover, I don't have to love' into the folky optimism of 'Bowl of Oranges' and straight into the downright depressing 'Don't Know When But A Day Is Gonna Come'. Every song has meaning, and every song portrays emotion (and not just the regular Bright Eyes pessimism and depression, but also great joy and happiness) so clearly and so beautifully that it just works. No matter what mood I'm in there's a song to sing along to, and the climax of 'Let's Not Shit Ourselves (to love, and to be loved)' is one of my favourite moments in musical history.

It's just an album that has everything. And I love it to bits.

Cheers Liam, that was fun!

Damn, damn, damn. So difficult. What do you judge it on? Longetivity, musical skill, most listens? It's so difficult. I had a massive list of albums that I could possibly choose from, so I narrowed it down to this shortlist;

"Revolver" by The Beatles (Stood the test of time, and awesome from start to finish)

"Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues" by Strung Out (One of the catchiest CD's ever recorded. The greatest pop-punk album ever)

"Revolutions Per Minute" by Rise Against (An album that blew my socks off the first time I heard it. Perfection...and since then they've pussied out...still good, just pussies)

"Rockin' The Suburbs" by Ben Folds (Great mix of songs. Anthematic choruses. Sweet piano playing. And songs that make you want to wave your arms and move your feet like a 12 year old girl)

...but one stood out as a clear winner, and when I actually thought about it, it had always been my 'first' choice from the start.

absolution.jpg

"Absolution" by Muse

It has everything. The loud, the quiet, the fast, the slow. But ultimately, it just flows like the perfect album should. If I take any of the songs of the album out and listen to them, I feel somewhat underwhelmed. But listen to it all the way through and there's nothing quite like it. Even the "Interlude", which I normally hate in albums, actually works, and is very tastefully done, linking one track to another, seemlessly. It's the only album I can listen to without thinking of one or two things that I would change. This is the closest thing to perfection any artist have ever got.

Guest Marcos Loura

Hard choice but...

First thought: "Songs for the Deaf" (I was actually listening to "No One Knows"

Second thought: Nah, dude!! "MASTER OF PUPPETS"

Third thought: Hmm maybe not, ah ah I know it "Grace", I gotta give Buckley some love

Fourth and final thought: Am I stupid or what? Second to none "Meddle"

pink-floyd-meddle.jpg

Pink Floyd > you

• 4 months later...

My all-time favorite album now is probably Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers... it has it's weak spots, but the amazingness of all the good songs makes up for it.

Other favorites that come pretty close are Blood Sugar Sex Magik by RHCP, De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta, Are You Experienced? by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, and Shadows Collide with People by John Frusciante

Ask me a year ago, I would have said Nevermind. A few months ago, Led Zeppelin II.

Though for the last 2 weeks, Pink Floyd's The Wall has been slowly consuming me. I've listened to it 14 times now, and I can't get enough of it. The songs are always stuck in my head. When I first listened to it, my skin shivers. And I still shed some tears whenever I listen to Comfortably Numb.

I'm surprised so many sites only gave it around "B"/"C" and 7-8/10.

Guest digrind

Maestro by Kaizers Orchestra is probably my favorite ever. It's not in English, but it doesn't need to be. It's a great blend of a lot of styles, but I'd probably best classify it as an odd combination of 60's spy movie music, Eastern European folk, and modern alternative rock. It's crazy.

And just because everyone else has more than one, I'll tack on and then nothing turned itself inside-out by Yo La Tengo for being the most relaxing album in history.

Of course, I'd have to have a Prince album near the top, and Sign o' the Times is a true all-time classic. Bounces from pop to rock to funk to gospel to atmospheric New Wave-kinda sounds...and that's just Disc One.

But then, there's Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby, also. TTD's got one of the best voices I've ever heard, and this first album came before he tried to become a spaced-out new age poet.

Beatles' Revolver, definitely. That was the first album that really made me understand what my friend Ben was on about when he kept gushing over the Beatles in junior high. "Taxman" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" are the best bookend tracks on any album ever.

But...I have to put one other atop the list, and it's

PMT.jpg

Tricky--Pre-Millennium Tension

So many songs on here can get me pumped for whatever the day might bring. It's been called a paranoid, claustrophobic album, but I can't help but get chills when the wild guitar loops kick in on "Vent" or the runaway train bass line on "Sex Drive" starts tearing out of the speakers. Genius at work.

First off, I love JStarr even more for being a Tricky fan.

Now... I'm sure you're all expecting me to put a Garbage album here, they are my all-time favorite band. But I don't know if they have my all-time favorite album. My first instinct was to say Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness from the Smashing Pumpkins, I can listen to that album all day long and not get bored. But someone already used that one and I want to be unique goddammit. So I sat back and thought about it for a minute and the answer is really a lot easier than I thought:

Marilyn_Manson_Holy_Wood.jpg

Marilyn Manson's Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)

I really think it's his best work, better than Antichrist Superstar. It contains my favorite Manson track (The Love Song) and just really tells a good story. It's rare for me to be able to just sit down and listen to music without doing anything else, I usually have to be on the computer, reading a magazine, about to fall asleep or something. But I can literally sit down with this album in the middle of the day, turn off every distraction and just listen to it from start to finish. It's easily Manson's most underrated work.

Edited by Zero

I considered several for this; RHCP's Californication, Elephant by The White Stripes and even the once credible Greenday's International Superhits is well worth a mention.

In the end though I plumbed for....

one_by_foo.jpg

One By One, Foo Fighters.

Great album, I could put the entire thing on my iPod and listen to it over and over. And do.