The best guitar player of all time

kyler11

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of those three are the 'best'. Greatest, maybe. Most legendary, definitely. Not best. Best implies they are technically superior to all other guitarists, which they are not. A lot of guys that weren't born when Hendrix was playing have built on his (and many others') legacy and innovations and are now better players technically.

I personally don't care that much about 'best' anyway. It's all about the creative force, in my opinion. I do like Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen etc to a certain degree, all respect to them (I own a couple of CD's too), but I tend to prefer guys with skill AND a killer tone and who play the guitar the way I enjoy hearing it.

My top ten favourites:

1. Criss Oliva (Savatage)

- the greatest guitar tone and unbelievable execution. Can make average riffs into great ones. Truly inspiring guitarist. One large reason the 'Tage is my favourite band ever. Great overall sound. And I adore the transitions from playing rhythm to lead guitar - you can barely notice, he makes the rhythm sound so inspired too. Who needs a separate rhythm player anyway? I realise I overrate him by putting him as #1, but it's my list. I loved him. Sue me.

2. Alex Skolnick (Testament)

- technical prowess can go well with thrash metal. Love him live, too.

3. Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow)

- Pioneer of the speed metal lead guitar. No need to explain why Blackmore rules.

4. Eddie Van Halen

- Wonderful guitar tone. Had his own thing. Over-the-top solos, but in an awesome way.

5. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)

- Ridiculous solos, but the playing is real tight. I overrate him, but it's intentional. I just find it awesome how he incorporates old-school guitar wizardry into heavy metal of today.

6. George Lynch (Dokken)

- a lot of brilliant guitar heroes during the 80's glam metal movement, but none better than Lynch.

7. Jeff Waters (Annihilator)

- Great player with solos that compliment the songs perfectly. I mostly love him for the tone and riffs/songwriting though.

8. Jimmy Page

- From the original heroes, I rank Page slightly higher than Iommi, mostly due to the way Page goes wild at times and makes riffs sound more inspired and improvised.

9. Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society)

- last three albums have all been mediocre and it also reflects to his playing. But his Ozzy-era albums and early BLS had some awesome guitar playing.

10. John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

- not always a huge fan of how he tends to overdo the instrumental parts, but that goes for the whole band, not just for him. But you can't deny his playing and I enjoy it immensely. Not the solos as much as the general instrumental sections where he really shines.

Now this certainly doesn't mean a guy like Alexi Laiho is better or greater than Hendrix, Iommi or Satriani, but merely an indication of my taste when it comes to the greatest instrument man ever created (or was that the piano, I always forget).

What my point is, it's all opinions. Playing the guitar isn't a sport. If someone says Clapton is #1, you can't prove him wrong. Never trust majority opinions either.

None of those three are the 'best'. Greatest, maybe. Most legendary, definitely. Not best. Best implies they are technically superior to all other guitarists, which they are not. A lot of guys that weren't born when Hendrix was playing have built on his (and many others') legacy and innovations and are now better players technically.

Personally, I think that just because someone is technically amazing, doesn't make them a good guitarist. A good guitarist knows when, where and how to do things, rather than just throwing out riff after riff just because they can.

Which is why I will always chose a Johnny Marr over an Alexi Laiho, even though Laiho is probably technically better than Marr.

Am I allowed to act like Tom Morello is the best one just because he is in my favorite band of all time and another band that is pretty solid as well? >_>

Edited by ROC Says Vote Carly Pope in 2006

Am I allowed to act like Tom Morello is the best one just because he is in my favorite band of all time and another band that is pretty solid as well? >_>

Morello is one of the best, technically proficient and he knows his pace/place.

I don't care what anyone else says, I'll take Luca Turilli, Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo Batio (not just the double-guitar stuff either) over any of the above. Because unlike the above, I like listening to them. I don't care how 'lazy' or 'sloppy' they are (Turilli excepted, as you definately can't call him either), I like them more.

I like Hendrix' guitar playing, but the rest of the songs (as in the vocals and other instruments) bore me to death.

Sue me.

Joey DeMaio deserves a mention too, although I wouldn't say he was one of the best.

Edited by Cap'n Jean-Luc Picaaaarghd

I don't care what anyone else says, I'll take Luca Turilli, Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo Batio over any of the above. Because unlike the above, I like listening to them. I don't care how 'lazy' or 'sloppy' they are (Turilli excepted, as you definately can't call him either), I like them more.

I like Hendrix' guitar playing, but the rest of the song (as in the vocals and other instruments) bore me to death.

Sue me.

Ahh, style over substance I see, Reily >_>

:P

I don't care what anyone else says, I'll take Luca Turilli, Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo Batio over any of the above. Because unlike the above, I like listening to them. I don't care how 'lazy' or 'sloppy' they are (Turilli excepted, as you definately can't call him either), I like them more.

I like Hendrix' guitar playing, but the rest of the song (as in the vocals and other instruments) bore me to death.

Sue me.

Sue me.

Yeah, because Turilli has no substance at all :P

Meh, I like what I like. I'm not going to say Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever, when I don't listen to any of his songs, am I?

I was just basing it on your power metal love, I'll be honest. Oh, and mentioning Malmsteen.....I'm just not a fan of what seems like guitar wankery for guitar wankery's sake, as quite a lot of them do, personally.