2006/07 NBA Thread

JStarr

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they wanted to move Randolph in the middle of the season, what do you think is make them change their minds with the draft next month and the fact that they can get Oden? Randolph's all but gone thanks to them getting the first pick. No brainer? Most of the organization wants Randolph out of there because like Numbahs said, he's a cancer. He's not a very good guy you want to teach your young guys. And IIRC, he wanted out too, so now that they're going to cut his minutes, you think he wants that? Doubt it.

Besides, the pressure's not going to be on them as much as you think, as I doubt they're going to be pressured to win instantly. It would be nice if they do, but anybody with half a brain can figure out that a young team needs time to develop before you call yourself bonafide playoff contenders. It would work out most for them to trade Randolph to get a pick later in the first round like Maxx suggested or get a proven PG to lead the trio of young players. Hell, I wouldn't put it out of the question if they were to somehow get Jason Kidd. The Nets are desperate for a big body and they've got Marcus Williams who could take over at the Point and getting a big body and making him the face of the team might be enough for Vince Carter to persuade him to stay.

Edited by Captain Cuntbag

I'm not saying mentoring, where did I ever say that? He merely has to shoulder the offensive load, which he is capable of doing. Nonetheless, player's attitudes tend to change when they start winning(which IMO I think they'll be at least 500 next season). I'm not saying they have to start winning instantly either, it would be great for the development of Oden if he could spend the majority of his first season with a player who can shoulder the offensive load and double teams.

If they could get Kidd for him? No doubt, but I just can't see the Nets giving up Kidd for Zach Randolph. I think Rashard Lewis would be a good deal too, but it's within the division. The only way they'd be able to do it is if it was a sign and trade, they can't afford him.

Edited by Javs

Definitely wish I was in the area to see either of them play. Thought I would because of Milwaukee, but oh well, they're still in a good postition to get a swingman at 6 and that's they're biggest need. If they're able to keep Mo Williams or if they're able to get Chauncey Billups (an ongoing rumor that they would have the best chance if he opts out) plus that swingman, they can be a deadly team.

I've also heard Chauncey to Denver, but I don't know how feasible it is. It all depends on how the playoffs play out for the Pistons. If they end up being eliminated by the Cavs, I'd say he'll bolt and it might be time for the Pistons to make some major moves. If Chauncey departs, it'll probably mean the Pistons will need to start looking to re-build in some aspects.

And I'm glad that Oden and Durant are almost definitely going out West.

I really don't know what Portland would want to trade for....

I think that if they were to trade Randolph for draft picks, or a pick in general, it's a waste. What they need it veteran leadership. Someone who's going to shoulder all criticism for the team while they underachieve for a year or so. Someone who's not going to feel hurt if he gets his playing time cut for the sake of player development. Hell, I'm sure they'd even take Pau Gasol at this point.

Yes but they have free agency to add a veteran and you know there's some team foolish enough to take Darius Miles in exchange for a veteran too.

I'm just saying, if you can round out your team for the next decade right now, in this draft, wouldn't you want to do it? Especially if it only costs you Zach Randolph? The guy most of your fans hate and associate with the Jailblazers era and this recent string of terrible seasons?

I'm not saying they shouldn't look for veterans, if they can trade Randolph for a veteran point guard, they should probably do that instead. But there's always going to be good to decent veterans to sign, and with a great young team, one of them might be all you need. Look at the Clippers once they got Cassell.

I think if Kevin Pritchard needs to get rid of both these two guys in one shot (or even separately) the first person he should call is Isiah Thomas. He'd take them both in a heartbeat and probably give up David Lee or Renaldo Balkman with Marbury in the process. If that ever happened though with me being a Knicks fan, I think I'd have to make a little day trip to NY to pay Zeke a visit. And James Dolan while I'm at it.

Not sure why everyone's so hellbent on Portland having to get a point guard. Jarrett Jack seems to be doing okay so far. I mean, I know Oden is clinging to Mike Conley like Linus clung to his blankie, but Jesus, it's time for these guys to cut the cord.

If I'm running the Blazers, I either draft Oden myself or trade that pick to someone who's damn sure to do it, because the last thing they'd ever want is having to face Oden four or five times a year. There really isn't a contest here, and I love Durant, but if Oden isn't the #1 pick, something really big happened or Kevin Pritchard took total leave of his senses.

It's hella unlikely that any team would want to feed what could possibly become a juggernaut to give Portland another Top 8 pick, since that's likely what it'd take to get Conley. Besides, the other teams in the league know ten times more about Zach Randolph than any of us could ever pretend to, and just on what we do know, I'd have a hard time justifying trading a lottery pick for a few more years of pissing and moaning, even if he can produce 20-10 when he feels like it. Sure, it'd be awesome marketing and PR if Oden and Conley ended up together again, but it's time Oden learns to develop chemistry with somebody else.

That said, yes, the Blazers need to see what they can get for Randolph...and I'd look to move Miles, as well. That'd pretty much remove all the attitude problems in one shot.

Regarding Zach Randolph, I remember reading a quote from his H.S. basketball coach (I believe it was his coach, or somebody else associated with him in highschool) that read something along the lines of "I'm surprised he hasn't been shot or shot somebody yet".

Ultimately that doesn't matter. Someone will take Randolph and as stated their only reservation would likely be that it'll make Portland a juggernaut, hence why I see an eastern conference team taking him and hoping they can use him to help them squeak out a title before Portland becomes a dynasty

Ultimately that doesn't matter. Someone will take Randolph and as stated their only reservation would likely be that it'll make Portland a juggernaut, hence why I see an eastern conference team taking him and hoping they can use him to help them squeak out a title before Portland becomes a dynasty

A little conspiracy theory that someone on ESPN wrote that I thought was interesting...

D-Rock (Los Angeles): Conspiracy: Portland gets Oden which will be a huge draw up there. Seattle gets Durrant to help get interest for fans in the new city when they move. With Seattleâ??s foot out the door, the NBA hopes Oden and Portland will be the draw in the Pacific Northwest. Boston and Memphis are punished for tanking; and lottery seems like it works making Stern & the NBA look good.

I just find that to be BS, I have heard it mentioned many times but people are less likely to see Durant and Oden now since they are going to be playing the majority of thier games on the West Coast. Putting them on TV late most of the time for people on the East coast, so why would the NBA want to do that. I also think that if anything Durant going to Seattle likely keeps them their rather helps them move. Along with those reasons why would they purposely make the West even stronger when they could "fix" the picks for east teams such as Atlanta and Boston and hopefully make them more competive. No matter what happens in the lottery every year thier will countiue to be conspiricy theorys.

On the note of Portland I love how in one day they have gone from a nice young team to young team that will soon be elite. As Phenom said they dont have that superstar player but they do have potential. Oden is good there no doubt about that but he is somewhat overhyped, he will be good on the defensive end for sure when he comes out but I think it will take him sometime to adjust in the NBA on the offensive side of the ball. I am not doubting that Portland can eventually be good with some other moves that they make in the future but it is almost like people are forgeting that this was the 6th worst team in the NBA last year.

I am not going to tottaly blame the reffing for the loss because the third quarter for us was just bad, but Sheed defiantly pushed off on Varajeo when he made his shot for the lead and it is debateable but to me thier was alot of contact when Lebron went to the hoop. The thing that really kills me then the no calls though was the fact that Larry aboslutly short armed a wide open 7 footer when he still had lots of time on the clock. I know the Pistons are a good road team and are up 2-0 but they have not really shown me so far this series that they can "beat" the Cavs, I mean the Cavs have had the possesion for the last shot in both of the games and if they make both shots they are up 2-0. Obviously that is not the case but I am just saying that this series is still far from over espesially now that we are going back to Cleveland in the same situation as last year, who knows what is going to happen. This has been a exciting series for me so far.

The way you're talking, Portland has suddenly become the most feared team in the league. They have a good, all around two guard who I don't necessarily see as a go to guy so much as a very steady, very dependable player. You've got an athletic forward who hasn't developed a strong enough post game yet. And you've got, if they draft him, a rookie center who will in all liklihood develop into a monster of a defensive center but still only be in that above average range offensively. There's no go to guy, there's no definitive team leader, there's no playmaker, and there's not a lot of depth. All these things could get addressed, but until they do, I'd stop with all the "Teams are scared, Portland's gonna be a dynasty" talk. I do, however, think if you leave Jack at point and let Webster try and play the three, they could be a young exciting team and start to get things turned around.