Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Timmoru Suzuki

Considering its based almost entirely on the Civil War storyline that was in the comics 2 years ago, there's a good chance.

Not sure how Hulk will be worked in though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Iron Fist is in the game.

Some news:

- You choose between Anti or Pro Reg when the Civil War storyline begins. Iron Man and Reed Richards can only be played if you choose Pro reg, Luke Cage and Captain America can only be played if you choose Anti Reg.

- The fusion powers work exactly like regular powers, IE you hold down a button and choose what fusion you want to do

- Switching characters is now done on the fly.

Edited by abundant

Iron Fist is in the game.

Some news:

- You choose between Anti or Pro Reg when the Civil War storyline begins. Iron Man and Reed Richards can only be played if you choose Pro reg, Luke Cage and Captain America can only be played if you choose Anti Reg.

- The fusion powers work exactly like regular powers, IE you hold down a button and choose what fusion you want to do

- Switching characters is now done on the fly.

Awesome news. *Waits for timmayy to have a nerdgasm*

I like how you can only play as certain heroes by choosing certain sides. I'm hoping it's revealed that the list is divided even more then what's put above, too, as that would encourage more of a re-play through.

I might play as pro-reg first seen as though literally everyone else will be anti first time around.

I like how you can only play as certain heroes by choosing certain sides. I'm hoping it's revealed that the list is divided even more then what's put above, too, as that would encourage more of a re-play through.

Only those four are locked to the two sides, everyone else up for grabs. They basically want this game to be a "What If" instead of a literal retelling of the Civil War story. Some key elements from the comic will be used, but you get to choose who is on the Pro Reg side and who is on the Anti Reg side.

Oh, I did nerdgasm at the inclusion of Fist. I'm now buying this more certainly than I was before! Hopefully Cyclops and Deadpool will make it, and if they do I won't care who else is in.

Some more news from their official message board.

- Every character has 4 super power moves now instead of 7 or 8 like in the first game. This may seem low, but remember every character does a Fusion with every other character, so you have 4 power moves plus 3 fusions per character.

- Passive abilities return from X-Men Legends 2.

- Equipment and team bonuses are gone. They're replaced by Boosts; you find medals in the game that provide a myriad of effects, from increasing resistances to adding special bonuses to attacks. They are stackable, for instance, The Human Torch can bathe enemies in a jet of flame (a Power) which can set enemies on fire for a certain period of time. He also has an Ability which increases fire damage from all of his powers, and you could throw a few fire-enhancing Boosts on there as well. Or you can give someone a Boost that stuns enemies and a Boost that deals extra damage to stunned enemies.

- Every character has 4 super power moves now instead of 7 or 8 like in the first game. This may seem low, but remember every character does a Fusion with every other character, so you have 4 power moves plus 3 fusions per character.

- Passive abilities return from X-Men Legends 2.

- Equipment and team bonuses are gone. They're replaced by Boosts; you find medals in the game that provide a myriad of effects, from increasing resistances to adding special bonuses to attacks. They are stackable, for instance, The Human Torch can bathe enemies in a jet of flame (a Power) which can set enemies on fire for a certain period of time. He also has an Ability which increases fire damage from all of his powers, and you could throw a few fire-enhancing Boosts on there as well. Or you can give someone a Boost that stuns enemies and a Boost that deals extra damage to stunned enemies.

Boo. I really enjoyed the idea of collecting equipment, especially picking them up after defeating a boss. This just seems like an arcadey simplification.

Passive abilities, yay. I can't believe that these weren't in the first MUA. I must have misremembered.

Also, I will reserve my judgment on the decreased amount of powers until I play the game. I'll see if it makes that much of a difference in gameplay.

I really like the idea of only four guys being stuck on either side. Hopefully there aren't tons of cinematics and we get storyline progressions that changes based on who you 'draft' to your side.

Either way, I will probably get this.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :angry:

One of the best parts of X-Men Legends and MUA was the ability to customize your character's move set however you wanted. You could make Thor an elemental powerhouse, or make him a hammer throwing badass. Tweaking and picking the powers each character had was half the fun.

Just some updates on this from one of the developers:

The solution we came up with was to split the “active” (mostly offensive) powers and the “passive” (mostly defensive) powers apart. Each character now has a suite of core powers which are mapped to the buttons (like Iron Man’s Repulsor Blasts), but each also has a number of passive abilities which are “always on” (like Wolverine’s regeneration). We also have a new in-game customization system which lets you spend your experience points on Powers and Abilities while you’re in the game, and even re-spec without going to an outside menu. This is especially good for Co-Op games; you can re-customize your character without slowing down the action, however, your core offensive measures are always at your fingertips.

All this doesn’t even touch the subject of Fusions. Each playable character has a special fusion move with every OTHER playable character. So really, they have their Powers (accessed by buttons), their Abilities (always “on” in the background, and accessible without going to a full-screen menu), and 20+ powers in the form of Fusions, which you activate in tandem with other heroes on your team. In order to let you swap characters more easily (giving you easy access to different Fusion moves), we’ve done away with Extraction points. We hadn’t talked the “frequent roster switching” system before because we’re still working on tuning it, and as you know, generally it’s our policy not to talk about things that aren’t 100% ironed out. The short of it: we can definitely say that mixing up your team is no longer tied to any big circles on the ground.

Am I the only one who really doesn't give a shit about this whole Fusion gimmick? Maybe I'll change my mind once I play it and get to wrap a tornado in fire, or something.

Edited by Drifter_2000

That's an incorrect placeholder. Borderlands, Rage, and the Witcher (console version) are also scheduled to be released on the 26th of June too, even though they won't come out until 2010. Right now, there's no official release date, although major sites like Amazon and Gamestop have a September placeholder.

The first MUA was released in late October/early November, so there's a good chance that the sequel will be released in that same time frame.

Edited by abundant

• 4 weeks later...

Not really an announcement, but Deadpool is apparently in the game as well. A promotional card for the game comes with the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game, and it shows Deadpool, so expect him as well.

Source: http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2009/04/evide...l-ultimate.html

Apparently the guys who make MUA are also looking to make a Deadpool game of his own, not based on Origins but on the comics, so yay for that.