EWB's Top 50 Movies List

The Hardcore Canuck

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOTR doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top 50 films, neither do the new Star Wars trilogy.

And yet you believe such classics as Top Gun and PCU do?

Both are infinatly better than Two Towers and ROTK. And it was a favorites list :shifty: . Goose owns your soul.

I was with you until Top Gun.

LOTR doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the top 50 films, neither do the new Star Wars trilogy.

Both are infinatly better than Two Towers and ROTK. And it was a favorites list :shifty: . Goose owns your soul.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Rocky Horror, Edward Scissorhands, Seven Samurai and Dawn of The Dead not making the list makes my heart hurt a little bit. Luckily, it's balanced out by South Park The Movie and Lord Of The Rings not making it. But then that's balanced out by the fact that South Park ALMOST made the list. Ugh. Horrible, horrible film.

Anyway, on to the list itself...first lot was inoffensive. Saw probably shouldn't be up there, but I have no qualms with it lurking around the bottom of the list, even if I can't stand it. Dr Strangelove should be about forty places higher than that, but mustn't grumble, at least it made the list. T2? Didn't expect that at all, again, probably shouldn't be up there, but I have no problem with it making the list. The rest is at least adequate.

Next lot I don't like at all. Chasing Amy is the weakest part of the series, in my opinion, definitely worse than Dogma, at least. Not a huge fan of Kill Bill, but I can live with it being there. Halloween, eh. Whatever. Never seen Heat. Requiem For A Dream is an over-rated, over-stylised piece of arthouse-for-arthouse's sake film-wankery devoid of any emotion or substance, I can't fucking stand it. Shouldn't be near a Top 50 anything. Not even "Top 50 films beginning with the word "Requiem"" >_>

Rocky Horror, Edward Scissorhands, Seven Samurai and Dawn of The Dead not making the list makes my heart hurt a little bit. Luckily, it's balanced out by South Park The Movie and Lord Of The Rings not making it. But then that's balanced out by the fact that South Park ALMOST made the list. Ugh. Horrible, horrible film.

Way to sound like a prick, Biggz. "Your favourites don't deserve to be anywhere near this list, but mine fully deserve to be on it."

Lack of Seven Samurai, widely touted as the greatest film ever made (and my favourite movie) saddens me, but meh, whatcha gonna do, it's not everyone's cup of tea....

Though looks like Battle Royale could (quite rightly) get a decent high spot and Fight Club'll probably be top 5.

I wish I didn't like Fight Club so much as it's such a trashy teenboy movie but it's so intricately made and based on an excellent novel.

It hurts me that Saw makes the top 50 and yet Memento and Se7en do not. Both are just such fantastic films, well made, well acted, and excellent.

And Biggzie, I love ya man, but you do that in EVERYONE of these threads. Your opinions count, your faves count, and nobody else's does.

If you take it seriously then clearly I'm sorry for that, but its not serious. Hence the shifty after the last one. Evenin the thread I voted for PCU, Top Gun, You've Got Mail. Movies that I know aren't getting in to show some love for them. However it doesn't mean I can't show displeasure for how overrrated LOTR is (first one was good).

Watching Spike I realise I left off Rocky III and Thunderlips....

Any of the Star Wars Original should be in, but the last htree just weren't that great. I still enjoyed them for being Star Wars, but the last especially had moments of bad acting from Portman and the whole NOOOO seen from Vader was laughable at best. The women thread I was just disappointed in the taste of EWB, somehow the creature f the Black Lagoon looks good to you people...

But yeah, if you took it seriously or anything, then well.. I don't know what to tell you.

Fear and Loathing :wub:

Quite possibly the greatest book adaptation in film history, from a great book by the great American writer. Yeah, it wasn't Hunter's best book, yeah, it's not Gilliam or Depp's best film, but fuck it, it's Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. Johnny Depp is great as Raoul Duke, essentially playing a caricature of Thompson, Benicio Del Toro is brilliant as "Dr. Gonzo" even if he's very little like the real-life Oscar Acosta, though if you just take F&LILV as a standalone piece of work, and Dr Gonzo as a fictional character with no basis in reality, then he plays it to perfection. Terry Gilliam is an incredible director, too, and doesn't get nearly enough kudos, so I'll give him lots right now. My only real qualm with the film is that it makes it seem like far more of a glorification of drug use, whereas the book seems a lot more paranoid and a lot more focused on the "death of the American dream" aspect of the story, whilst the film just about touches on "death of the 60s". That could just be skewed by my loathing of people who claim to be a Hunter fan after having seen the film, yet haven't read the book, or any of his other work, and essentially just take it as "drugs are cool!".

So, in conclusion, fuck Avenged Sevenfold.

Right, what else have we got...

I've never understood the love for 40-Year Old Virgin, it's a one-joke film, and no better than anything else of it's mindless comedy ilk. Alien's great, but I'm surprised to see it up there. Full Metal Jacket, while I don't think as highly of it as some, definitely has it's place in this list, and I'm actually surprised Donnie Darko didn't make it higher.

Easily, easily, easily the best selection so far, anyway. This is quite possibly my favourite EWB list this year too, which has surprised me greatly.

Edited by Skumfrog

Alien at #38, hell yes! Definitly would rank among the 10 best horror and 10 best sci fi movies ever.

40 Year Old Virgin was an entertaining comedy, that made me laugh a lot. So I don't mind this one.

FMJ I never saw, always wanted to though. I love Kubrick's films.

Always wanted to see Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, as I'm a Johnny Depp fan.

I'm slightly happier about the list now.

As long as Wizard of Oz is in the top 5 or 10, I'm really happy.