EWB's Top 50 Movies List

The Hardcore Canuck

Pretty good batch of films, especially with 40 Year old Virgin and Alien on the list. Don't care for Donnie Darko(I think it's hihly overrated), and same with Full Metal Jacket (loved the first half of the film but not the second).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to give my thoughts on the list so far...

50. Dr. Strangelove...Haven't seen it yet, but I plan on watching it on March 26, 2007 (I'm taking a film class and we're watching it then)

49. Terminator 2...One of my favourite sci-fi/action movies, good to see it on the list.

48. Monty Python's Life of Brian...Least favourite of the Python flicks, but good enough for its spot.

47. Saw...meh, I didn't like it very much, but can live with it at 47.

46. The Big Lebowski...one of my favourite movies ever, sad to see it place so low.

45. Dogma...one of the better of the series, would've hoped it to place slightly higher.

44. Heat...haven't seen it, may after seeing how many people enjoyed it.

43. Kill Bill Vol1...good Tarintino flick at a good spot.

42. Chasing Amy...bleh, did not enjoy this movie at all.

41. Halloween...better then Saw, but too high a rating.

40. Requiem For A Dream...see Heat

39. Donnie Darko...see Big Lebowski

38. Alien...THE best sci-fi/horror movie ever made, IMO. Sad it's so low.

37. 40-Year-Old Virgin...it's entertaining the first few times, but gets old quick after that.

36. Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas...see Skumfrogs analysis of the movie.

35. Full Metal Jacket...One of my favourite war films ever, and the best Nam film. I would've liked it slightly higher.

More of the list to come tomorrow evening. The next five are a weird mix.

This is a great batch of films, each deserving(at least my opinion) a place on that list, even though Citizen Kane may be a bit low at least its there. This is getting better and better and I hope EWB doesn't screw it up in the top 10.

Edited by Laice06

Oldboy plot outline. Contains as few spoilers as possible...

Korean guy is drunk one night, friend comes to police station to take him home, they call his daughter who's birthday it is, friend turns around to see main character gone.

Main character wakes up in cell made to look like a lounge with a bathroom. He is then left there for fifteen years with no explaination as to why he's there and food given through a small hatch in a door. He sees no-one real for fifteen years with only the TV for company.

Then without warning he's released and given just a few days to find out who and why he's been captured.

He's not in a good mood and makes new best friends with a helpful young lady and a claw hammer as he pieces together the past.

And it's brilliant....

Sooo pleased to see Oldboy and Alien in the list. Both highly deserving.

The Matrix is an absolutely phenomenal movie. Great action, great story, and even a bit of a mindfuck; the only reason people are weary of it now is because the sequels sucked copious amounts of cock.

Skummy, I'm curious as to the reasons behind your hatred of the South Park movie? Are you not a fan of the show?

And I gotta agree with TGC... how the fuck does Saw make this list but Se7en and Memento do not? Saw fucking sucked. Great premise, executed horribly due to some of the most piss poor acting ever seen in a successful horror film. Memento and Se7en are two equally creepy movies with even more of an original premise and have the likes of Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Guy Pearce, Joe Pantoliano, and Kevin fucking Spacey to round out their casts. The list has been pretty solid so far, but that is just criminal.

Resurrection had some great acting from Weaver but I refused to see AvP.

I've got the Quadrilogy (or whatever it's called) on DVDs - though I bought them separately and not in the box.

3's okay but Fincher was screwed over so much by the producers....So sad....

His initial plan was to base it on this massive spaceship monastery thing which woulda been amazing.

I actually enjoy the entire Alien saga, yes even AvP. It was okay for who did it. I loved the ideas beyond both A3 and AR, I just felt that the execution on both was lacking.

As for The Matrix movies, again i enjoyed them all. Sadly, I think it's pretty apparent from moving on that nobody was really prepared for the total success of the first movie, as the other two really did not seem to be ideas they had all along. That said, Animatrix was brilliant and worht tracking down. Hell, it's worth owning. I also thought the idea of telling people to play the game to get the whole story was a good marketing move, if not a kinda dick thing to do for the fans who didn't want to play a fucking game.