EWB's Top 50 Movies List

The Hardcore Canuck

The Crow is a nice addition if not totally unexpected.

Love Trainspotting, even if I can't understand half of what is said.

I also love Boondock Saints and Anchorman, but don't believe either belong on any list like this.

Forest Gump is a modern classic, so no complaints.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anchorman ?

I watched it but i didn't think it was that good, certainly not good enough to be high up on a Top 50 list.

But im happy Forrest Gump made it, i wasn't expecting it too because EWB members aren't the type i'd expect to like that kind of movie. Not even i like those kind of movies but this was an exception, really amazing film that deserves it's place.

Skummy, I'm curious as to the reasons behind your hatred of the South Park movie? Are you not a fan of the show?

And I gotta agree with TGC... how the fuck does Saw make this list but Se7en and Memento do not? Saw fucking sucked. Great premise, executed horribly due to some of the most piss poor acting ever seen in a successful horror film. Memento and Se7en are two equally creepy movies with even more of an original premise and have the likes of Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Guy Pearce, Joe Pantoliano, and Kevin fucking Spacey to round out their casts. The list has been pretty solid so far, but that is just criminal.

With Skummy, thats what I assumed....and I was surprised he detested Requiem. I loved that film.

And I like Saw, so I'm not going to argue it off the list, but I definitely think Memento should have made it.

Aliens>Alien

But anyway, nice selection so far.

Nah, Alien > Aliens.

Depends what you want out of the movie I guess.....

Aliens > Alien, for me. Maybe if I'd been around at the time, I might have preferred Alien as it broke the mould somewhat, but watching it when I did, I just preferred Aliens.

Though I think it is criminal that Terminator looks like it has been beaten by its sequel...horrible decision.

Oh, and 40 Year Old Virgin? Meh.

I hated Boondock...so very much. But that hatred goes away because of my love for Forrest Gump and The Crow. Anchorman was a good film, no doubt, and at times hilarious, but 28? I'd be more happy if 40 year old Virgin and Anchorman switched places. To each his own I guess.

Skummy, I'm curious as to the reasons behind your hatred of the South Park movie? Are you not a fan of the show?

I'm a fan of the show only to a point. I couldn't stand the earlier series, when it was essentially half an hour of "Hey, swearing's funny", and fairly heavy-handed "controversy". The movie was just an extended version of that, and if it's not funny in half an hour, it's certainly not going to be funny as a feature-length film. That said, the recent few series I've enjoyed. The only thing I found funny in the film was "Operation Human Shield".

As for Requiem For A Dream...I just can't stand it. Probably because all through the time I was studying media I had people hyping it up for me about how much I'd love it and how I really needed to see it, and I just found it phenomenally underwhelming.

Ahhh Clockwork Orange...Perhaps the best political film ever made (a bit better than Strangelove).

Shining's a great movie though - modern horror film makers should learn - less is more.

The kid trundling down those corridors, turning round the corners as we follow him, hundreds of metres from his parents, one of whom is slowly going mental anyway....THAT'S chilling - not legs being chopped off every 2 minutes.

Fuck yes, now I'm happy.

Clockwork Orange and The Shining easily rank in my Top 10 Movies Ever list. And Back to the Future would definitly be in my Top 3. Thought I liked Part 2 just a bit more.

I'd give all 3 of those movies 9.5/10.

Never saw Spinal Tap or any Godfather movie.

No qualms about this batch, all excellent films.

Star Wars. :wub: Surprised Office Space is in there, didn't think it would, but glad that it did. This list is missing one more Star Wars title and I know its going to be somewhere around the top 5 -_-