EWB's Favourite Books

Skummy

Guest Ringo Masterson

Murakami's overated. I've read through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Norwegian Wood, and while he's certainly a great writer, I wouldn't say his presence makes the list lacks class and education :P.

That's what we have Dan Brown for. (TAKE THAT TGC. :shifty:).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kafka On The Shore was a little disappointing and Wind Up Bird isn't his best either, but Hardboiled Wonderland, Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance are, for me, magical.

I need to do some more reading but as I walk to work there's no real 'otherwise wasted' time in which to read...

29:

0552137030.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39900872_.jpg

Good Omens

A fantastic collaboration from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, with all the notable quirks and conventions of either author. Although some could argue it's little more than standard parody, personally I feel it ranks amongst both's best work.

28:

0141187883.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59191905_.jpg

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Ken Kesey's near-timeless tale of the harrowing life of inmates in an American mental asylum contains some of the best characterisation of any book of the late 20th century.

27:

0007136838.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And Then There Were None

I'm not even going to pretend to know what this Agatha Christie novel's about.

26:

0141182601.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V34857370_.jpg

A Clockwork Orange

Although Burgess' depraved tale is more known Stanley Kubrick's cinematic adaptation, the book should not be overlooked. A classic story of a dystopian future, and of the dark recesses of the human psyche

Yeah, coming from the "don't read much" perspective, And Then There Were None is probably the best "forced" read I ever had to do in school. Christie's solid at making the reader think one thing and going for another, doing the out-of-left-field twists that Hollywood execs are still trying to replicate with not hardly as much success.

25:

0450031063.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Salem's Lot

24:

0140285601.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Cat's Cradle

23:

0571191479.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62205860_.jpg

Lord Of The Flies

22:

0140620168.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39860350_.jpg

Great Expectations

21:

0141321326.01._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39861413_.jpg

Artemis Fowl & The Arctic Incident

Descriptions and suchlike possibly coming later when I have more time...

Yay for Great Expectations and Lord of The Flies. (Y)

I liked seeing A Clockwork Orange and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest make the cut. Both are great books, and would have had my voted if I had voted.

I'm hoping to see Trainspotting make the list, that's one of my favorite books. First Blood would be a pretty bad ass addition to the list, but I doubt we'll be seeing that one.

I'm a fucking asshole for not voting.

The best list of books so far, although I shamefully admit that I have not read The Virgin Suicides yet. ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster steal a copy from your wife and read it, its seriously one the most hilarious book to ever be published and a great book all alround.