FA Cup Thread

DFF

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, i assume that it would be the same as if he'd caught the ball in his hands whilst standing and someones smashed into him with momentum. Once the goalie catches the ball you can't exactly knock it out of his hands or tackle him and claim a goal.

Did anyone else find it funny that when the Man U players took a shot after being found offside that they all missed?

Rooney complained that he wasn't offside, yet he took his shot BEFORE the whistle went and it missed.

Seriously he was 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Well played Chelsea I guess. Showed the importance of taking your chances, Manchester United may have had more possession and created more chances but just like against Arsenal a few years ago they failed to hit the back of the net. This year they barely forced Cech into a save, nonetheless best player yesterday was Rooney by quite some margin.

He seemed like the only player who was really willing to give it a go and gave Chelsea problems. Robben did very well as well though his tendency to fall over really puts his team under pressure. Giggs seems to do the same and doesn't seem to bother tracking back these days.

So would the goal even have counted if the ball had gone over the line completely considering Giggs crashed into and through Cech when he had the ball and took him behind the line?

Personally I'd say that was a goal, but I suppose thats becuase I'm a United fan. The ball DID go over the line, Cech rolled backwards after Giggs flew into him. Giggs was fouled not Cech, and thats the reason why Giggs flew into Cech, and didn't purposelly do it. :(

I find it interesting that Giggs didn't make any attempts to claim he was fouled, only Sir Alex did.

As for the goal, I was confused by why the ref didn't blow the whistle, as it was a foul...so technically it was a goal, but in a roundabout way, not giving it was the right decision.

I didn't see the game, but surely if a player is fouled, and that foul causes him to crash into the opposing goalkeeper, and crashing into the goalkeeper causes the ball to fall from the 'keepers hands and go over the line, it's a penalty. Surely?

That is, assuming the ball was in play when Giggs was fouled. If it was already in Cech's hands, then it's a Chelsea free kick and a yellow card (or caution, at least) for the guy who fouled Giggs. Which is a slightly odd scenario, but hey...

Like I said, I didn't see the game so I don't know the exact circumstances, but if Cech had the ball in two hands, it can't be a goal. Regardless of anything. From what people have said, there's possibly a case for a United penalty, but not a goal.

Edit: I just saw it on Youtube. You guys would make fucking shite radio commentators :P I dunno where the supposed foul was, but if that crossed the line it's a goal.

Plain as day. Giggs had every right to go for it.

Edited by Farmer Reil

As in Reil was referring to the studio commentators or you were adding that to the list?

I thought how Reil worded it was that he meant "we - the members - would make shite commentators because we seemed to think there was a foul"?

Oops, sorry if that's not the case ¬_¬

I honestly can't see it myself, and I'm not being biased. Yeah I'd prefer the Chelsea victory sure, but I don't really dislike one team or anything, so I don't think I'm looking through tinted goggles or anything, I don't think Giggs really made an appeal or anything so he probably didn't feel it was a penalty. Although he was probably more interested in thinking he'd scored a goal, had it not been close, maybe he'd have claimed for a penalty then? Who knows.

But...it crossed the line because Giggs went through Cech, for whatever reason, pushing him across the line. By that reckoning I could header the ball at the keeper and use my momentum to push him across the line.

The ball didn't even fully cross the line. Seriously, the whole ball has to cross the line, not just the bottom where it touches the grass.

It was never a goal, ever. Even if Cech had landed in the back of the net clutching the ball, it would still have been a foul against Giggs, as he flew into Cech pushing him into the goalmouth. Not sure what Giggs was doing with his left leg either, he tries to drape it over Cech's head for no apparent reason. There was no foul on Giggs, whatsoever. There's no contact between the Chelsea defender and Giggs, not even after both of them throw themselves at the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Zpet5y9qk

The ball didn't even fully cross the line. Seriously, the whole ball has to cross the line, not just the bottom where it touches the grass.

It was never a goal, ever. Even if Cech had landed in the back of the net clutching the ball, it would still have been a foul against Giggs, as he flew into Cech pushing him into the goalmouth. Not sure what Giggs was doing with his left leg either, he tries to drape it over Cech's head for no apparent reason. There was no foul on Giggs, whatsoever. There's no contact between the Chelsea defender and Giggs, not even after both of them throw themselves at the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Zpet5y9qk

You're sometimes so blind, as he slides, his leg moves, shock&horror, it barely goes near Cech's head, yeah - clearly draping it over his head there, it's nothing of the sort. And replies have shown the ball crossed the line - rightfully so or not.

Edited by Super Summers

Watch the video, the ball does not entirely cross the line, it's almost all over after Giggs slams into Cech, but doesn't. At the part where it's most over the line is when you can see the whole of Cech's head is exactly past the line (in the side-on view), but the ball is more out of the goal that his head as seen from the opposite angle, making it literally impossible for it to have totally crossed the line. Of course had it gone over the line, it would have deemed as a foul because Cech has both hands over the ball before Giggs fell into him. In the end, the referee was completely right to allow Cech to play on and throw the ball out.

It doesn't matter what 'replies' show, it's what actually happened that matters. Even Cech said he thought it was over the line (which is why he moved WAY forward and THEN showed the linesman where the ball was under his arms). But there is absolutely no proof that shows the ball completely across the line, and thus the goal can never be given.

And Giggs moved his leg across Cech's head very softly. It's not a foul or anything, I just find it odd behaviour.

Some of you really need to set aside your rampant Chelsea hatred. I wanted Man United to win as well, because they actually earned their fortunes, they have one of the most historically Scottish teams in England and they deserved to win on the day due to superior play. It sucks yes, but from the available angles, the ball could not have possibly crossed the line. If Cech had tucked himself in a few inches more it would have almost certainly have been across, but even then it would be a foul and no goal. It's a win/win situation for Chelsea in that respect.