The Grifterman asks: What is rocking your world right now?

GRIFT

Alright essentially, let me know what is setting your entertainment world on fire right now? I've laid down 4 categories... and yeah, the last one is questionable but damnit that is how I entertain myself.

The things that are rocking my world ...

Music:

The new Tom Waits album is amazing and offers a unique cross section of the diverse artists styles. There are few musicians working today who could release a 3 disc album with a total of 56 songs, 30 of which are all new material, but even fewer could do so without any 'filler' songs. The album, Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards, is aptly named as it will knock you on your ass, play to your sorrows, and pull at your bitter heart.

TV:

We just got digital-cable at the apartment, but I find myself spending more time downloading My Name is Earl episodes from allfg.org than I do riding couch and flipping through channels. I've always loved Jason Lee, and he is hitting the ball out of the park as the lovable Earl.

Books:

Sadly I haven't much time to read lately, but when I have a moment alone I've been giving The Paper Men by William Golding another look. I will admit that I have a major literary chubby for Golding's work but his skill in this novel is undeniable. The two main characters in this book are each so very detestable that I often find myself begging for terrible things to happen to all of them. Read it people. Read it. It might have the greatest last line of all time.

Booze:

Whiskey and Moxie. Don't doubt it, just try it. The initial bit of whiskey is hidden by the Moxie and the after-bite of Moxie (which I love) is hidden by the whiskey. The result is fucking undeniable.

Edited by The Grifter

Alright essentially, let me know what is setting your entertainment world on fire right now? I've laid down 4 categories... and yeah, the last one is questionable but damnit that is how I entertain myself.

The things that are rocking my world ...

Music:

Philadelphia Fire & Police Pipe & Drum band Guns and Hoses. Bagpipes. Rule.

TV:

The Unit. Great special forces tv show. Made better only by the fact that one of the operators played Elliot's marine biologist boyfriend on Scrubs

Books:

Pattern Recognition - William Gibson. Good book.

Booze:

non drinker.

Music:

40 Below Summer's The Last Dance and Silent Civilian's Rebirth Of The Temple are the two that I am currently listening to the most. The Panic Channel's (ONe), k-os' Atlantis - Hymns For Disco, and Dropkick Murphys' The Warrior's Code still get played a lot by me as well.

TV:

Dexter, Heroes, Prison Break, Sleeper Cell, How I Met Your Mother, The Class, The Wire, The Unit, The O.C., and The Office are all very good this season.

Music

Brigade, Jamiroquai, Sage Francis, Smashing Pumpkins and the various offshoot solo projects, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Prize Fighter Inferno and Silverchair's 'Diorama' album.

TV

Having just been through every episode to date of Scrubs recently, I'm actually stuck as to what to work through next. Possibly the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :shifty:

Books

'Never Enough' - a biography of Robert Smith and The Cure. So far, so good. Interesting opening. Not that heavily into it yet though.

'Gigantic: Frank Black & The Pixies' - Really interesting idea. The chapters switch between straight biography form, and chapters telling "Vicky's Story", the story of a woman who becomes obsessed with Frank Black, and her life - although it's never really made clear whether it's truthful or not, to my knowledge.

'Saint Morrissey' - A detailed, and in-depth analysis of Morrissey, the myths surrounding him, the ideas he has, the words he speaks, his beliefs, his effect on society and individuals, the lot. Quite heavy going, due to its various 'tangents', if you will, but nonetheless, a very good book.

Music

(+44) and Boxcar Racer as well as Panic Channel still getting a small loop on my playlist. Last few days has seen a spike in Angels and Airwaves too since I got "Star of Bethlehem", which is my favourite AVA track yet.

The Final Fantasy IX soundtrack is getting a heavy spin, it's got some great piano melodies as well as songs that remind me of my favorite game and are generally nice to listen to in any situation.

Television

The usual suspects Scrubs, Family Guy and Futurama. Torchwood when I remember to watch it and the occasional glance at Eastenders as I always seem to around Christmas.

Movies

Mostly superhero movies at the moment, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Superman and the such.

Comic/Book

Civil War, some New Avengers trade editions and Moon Knight are the ones I've re-read a lot at the moment. All quality comics.

Games

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel and Wii Sports, and tomorrow I get Marvel: Ultimate Alliance too. I'm also contemplating restarting Final Fantasy IX (for the bazillionth time).

Music:

My Chemical Romance's "The Black Pararde," I'm relistening to some Coheed, since I watched their live DVD from Hammerstein Ballroom the other day. Also, Ben Kweller, Copeland, and some Shins. Lupe Fiasco, still.

Television:

Catching up on Scrubs (Halfway through season 3. Hopefully, I'll catch up by the season/series finale.) The Office, Prison Break, Smallville (kinda).

Movies:

Like Benji, I've been on a superhero kick. Superman Returns, Batman Begins, Spidermans, and the Punisher.

Television

Because of this forum (and a friend) I have been watching a helluva lot of Scrubs, hoping to get the DVDs for Christmas. Also rewatching my Prison Break season 1 DVD to hold me over until January.

Music

Listening to Hurt's "Volume 1" a lot, as well as Evans Blue's "The Melody and Energetic Nature of Volume". Also dug up all of my old Ra albums, they are fuckin' awesome. Recently listening to a lot of Atreyu, too.

Books

Jonathan Kellerman's "Alex Deleware" novels. I tell you, they are great. Kellerman is a retired psychiatrist, and writes these stories about a psychiatrist who is best friends with the only gay detective in the OC, Milo, and they go on to solve these medical and psychiatric mysteries.

Booze

I was straight edge before CM Punk made it cool :shifty:

Music :

"Venetian Snares", crazy Drum & Bass electro stuff, awesome.

"The Draft", basically Hot Water Music minus Chuck Ragan, therefore awesome, not the same minus Ragan, but still awesome.

"Attitude", some pretty good hardcore punk, has me rocking out.

"Brand New", my oppinions on the album goes from one extreme to another nearly daily, at this moment in time I think it's awesome.

"The Glitch Code", down and dirty electronic style music. Some pretty dark stuff.

TV :

Old episodes of QI (UKTVG2) - It's QI, it's awesome.

Will add more when I can be bothered/think of any.

Edited by Steve Mandela

Music: The Killer's 'Sam's Town' album, Muse.

TV: LOST, Prison Break, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Scrubs, The Ashes

Games: Pro Evo 6, Guild Wars, Football Manager 06, International Cricket Captain 2006

Booze: Smirnoff's- 90% of the alcohol I drunk on Schoolies.

Music:

Final Fantasy: Advent Children Soundtrack;

Even Greer;

The Chronicles Of Israfel;

All Shall Perish;

Exodus;

Kreator;

Misery Index;

+(44)

TV:

Never really watch it, but i'll be watching the Hogfather this christmas.

DVD:

The Smoking Room: Series 1 & 2

Totally Live: Dylan Moran

Russell Brand Live

Books

Destined For Destiny: The Unofficial Biography Of George W Bush

By Scott Vikkers

Booze:

JD & Coke, whatever is free at my best friend's pub.

Edited by fourstarfizzle

Music: Toxic Holocaust, the best thrash metal band I've ever heard.

The Pogues, and I've decided Red Roses For Me is their absolute best album.

Scared Straight, an obscure hardcore punk band suggested to me. I believe they are under the nardcore umbrella (used for bands from Oxnard, Cali in the 80s).

Gun Club, brilliant band with a great sound and great lyrics. Jeffrey Lee Pierce is possibly the greatest front man to ever exist.

Movies: I recently watched Rob Roy and loved it. I'm dissapointed in myself for waiting so long on it, it was a great movie.

TV: The NFL season. In all honesty, I don't have time for tv any other day than Sunday.

Games: WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 07, and a very fun game it is. I also bought Hitman: Bloodmoney but I fucking hate that piece of garbage.

Booze: My beer. Seriously, the beer I made, those being stouts and IPA's. The stouts didn't have the desired flavor, but are still pretty good, and the IPA's came out very good. I've got a batch of Scottish styled ale waiting, which has also been my favorite type of beer as of late. As for liquor, it's always going to be Jameson Irish Whiskey or Johnny Walker Red scotch.

I'll second Hamster's love of the Spurs UEFA Cup run. All your bases are belong to us.

Music:

I haven't bought any new albums in an age 'cos I'm poor, but right now I'm listening to a lot of mid-70s Bob Dylan, some Nick Drake, Dire Straits, and the like. What is really rocking me right now is the Jesus And Mary Chain. I'd kinda kept clear of them, thinking they'd never be as good as Echo & The Bunnymen, but having heard some of their stuff at a party a few weeks back, I've been downloading steadily since then and really, really enjoying it. It's probably not as good as E&TB, but it's damn good besides.

TV:

Grey's Anatomy. Catching it on LivingTV at the moment, really enjoying it. It's not as dramatic as ER, not as funny as Scrubs, but it seems to hit a balance between the two for somebody who loves hospital drama and has always found ER and Scrubs go too far in the one direction. Grey's is a great balance. Plus, it has Katherine Heigl! Also digging The Sopranos, as I've only just started watching it on DVD, and it's just as good as everybody said. I'd always avoided starting in like season 3 when it was on TV, and I'm looking forward to getting caught up over the next few months.

Books:

Mostly been reading for my degree lately, but the stuff I've really enjoyed has been for a course called 'The 20th Century Novel & The Supernatural' which studies novels that use the supernatural and such conventions to discuss philosophy and theology, and most of them are very good indeed. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday and Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita were probably my two favourites. When I have a second to myself, I've mostly been reading plays, particularly Beckett and Simon Stevens, who own your souls.

Booze:

Hmm. Mostly, I'm drinking G'n'T at the moment, because it's quite pleasant and when I've been drinking of late, it's usually not been a binge and I've had to remain alert for other stuff, like taking rehearsals and such. If I'm going to binge, mostly going to cocktail-like places lately, so I've been developing a major hard-on for the mojito. Yum.