That's Not Funny

zero

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of South Park, but I'll catch the odd episode once or twice a week and I'll be damned if it isn't hilarious each time I watch it. I don't follow it, I don't know the history, but I can watch one episode and love it to death. To compare to Family Guy, Family Guy is nothing more than nonstop, nonsensical, random pop culture spoof after another (...so pretty much word for word what Zero said), and don't get me wrong, for what Family Guy is, it's done very well. While South Park is smart and much deeper comedy. South Park doesn't get nearly enough credit for not only being much funnier than most shows of the comedy genre, but for flowing smoother and holding together a storyline throughout an episode better as well.

I hate people who say Family Guy is better than the Simpsons, when Family Guy will never come close to attaining the rewatch value of the majority of Simpson episodes. If you watch one episode of Family Guy enough, it goes from funny to mindnumblingly stupid. By no means is Family Guy not funny, but I think it's no more than a pretty funny, random, cartoon. Nothing epic "FUNNIEST CARTOON EVER! BETTER THAN THE SIMPSONS!" show like some make it out to be.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Family Guy & American Dad are like the comedy equivalent to the people who wear the "Don't Hassel The Hoff" shirts.

South Park is the equivalent of the wittiest people on the planet.

Jack Black is not funny. In fact the majority of that comedy troupe are not funny with the exception of Vince Vaughn (sp?).

The Simpsons have had more than a few bad episodes, they've had about six atrocious seasons.

That's why I said "at least". And I don't find Simpsons seasons 11-18 atrocious at all. I enjoy a lot of the newer episodes, just not as much as the classics. And it's still more entertaining than Family Guy and American Dad combined.

Personally, I can't watch the Simpsons anymore as it's just gone so far off the original idea of the show that it's completely lost on me anymore. It's obvious they've run out of ideas, which is fine, it's been almost 20 years, but I have no idea how they expect to make a movie and keep on with the show for several more seasons.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone hate Family Guy and feel insulted whenever they're compared to it. The entire Cartoon Wars episode was based on that with Cartman playing the role of Parker and Stone. Still, they weren't above saying that their show is "preachy" and "up it's own ass," and that it was okay for other people to enjoy Family Guy. Also, John K, the creator of Ren & Stimpy has said that Family Guy has set low standards for today's cartoons. It should be noted that MacFarlane is totally cool about all the criticism and takes it in stride, he supposedly really liked the South Park episode and the Simpsons and Family Guy constantly make jabs at each other.

I didn't know about the South Park and John K stuff. I knew Parker and Stone did an episode about Family Guy, but I hadn't seen it yet.

The South Park episode is great, it's a two parter and I highly recommend watching it, one of the best episodes of the last season.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone hate Family Guy and feel insulted whenever they're compared to it. The entire Cartoon Wars episode was based on that with Cartman playing the role of Parker and Stone. Still, they weren't above saying that their show is "preachy" and "up it's own ass," and that it was okay for other people to enjoy Family Guy. Also, John K, the creator of Ren & Stimpy has said that Family Guy has set low standards for today's cartoons. It should be noted that MacFarlane is totally cool about all the criticism and takes it in stride, he supposedly really liked the South Park episode and the Simpsons and Family Guy constantly make jabs at each other.

I think Gennedy Tartakovsky has made comments too, but I heard that word-of-mouth and haven't seen proof.

For me, Family Guy WAS really great in Season One, very good in two, then got a bit crap. Three was OK (had some fantastic episodes, but plenty of meh), Season Four was terrible beyond belief and I stopped watching it was shit. I just think it was pretty damn good at first.

I have to admit I haven't watched South Park since season four or five.

Edited by timmayy Phoenix-Saga

I have to admit that I am not a huge South Park fan, sometimes I watch it and I laugh a little and othertimes I watch it and I don't laugh at all even though I think to myself 'oh that was the joke...meh'. It can be very hit and miss for me.

Family Guy....it doesn't have a huge amount of re-watch value. I think American Dad is a better show.

Green Wing, I tried to give this a go, I couldn't get into it....doesn't make me laugh.

The Office - I never felt the need to watch a single episode nor when I finally got round to it did I find it funny in anyway.

The American Pie movies (and any teen comedy type) - Too many sex jokes and I swear I've come up with better ones without even meaning to.

Russel Brand - save his outing with Noel Fielding (then again I like The Mighty Boosh) on the 'Big Fat Quiz of the Year' the man isn't funny at all.

Most new Family Guy episodes I don't find funny, on the other hand I love American Dad. As for comedians, Carson Daly. Can you even call him that? Sure, I mean, he hosts a largely comedic talk show but.. to call it comedy.. ugh. And for five years, what the fuck is that? I'd rather watch Poker After Dark after Conan than fucking Carson!

Oh and pretty much nearly every AdultSwim original show sucks. Assy McGee? What the fuck? 12 Oz Mouse? Ugggghhh

Edited by Cloud Henry

King of the Hill was a pretty poor show. Hank, dull, no personality, no redeeming qualities. Peggy, a character I hated so much, she was like a child. Bobby, while better than Hank and Peggy still not very interesting. Boomhower I enjoyed because of his voice. That was it. Bill, was just kinda "meh" for me. Dale, a character I can say I actually liked.

And the episode about toilets was the most atrocious 20 minutes of animation I have ever seen before.

What about Blazing Saddles? That's a parody, and one of the funniest movies ever made. I don't think you can really single out a style or genre, in any form of art or entertainment, and say "this is bad", as there's always going to be exceptions to the rule, if there is a rule at all. There's always going to be good and bad, in all genres. Most parodies are bad, especially lately, but that's because they're lazy and easy to make. A good parody is one of the finer forms of comedy, though.

King of the Hill was a pretty poor show. Hank, dull, no personality, no redeeming qualities. Peggy, a character I hated so much, she was like a child. Bobby, while better than Hank and Peggy still not very interesting. Boomhower I enjoyed because of his voice. That was it. Bill, was just kinda "meh" for me. Dale, a character I can say I actually liked.

And the episode about toilets was the most atrocious 20 minutes of animation I have ever seen before.

:o:crying: