The Mafia Discussion Thread

Depends on how many players and how many powers you've got to include. If you do something traditional with a relatively small playerbase it's not a huge timesink, but if you've got 30 players with 30 distinct roles, night actions, day actions, if-then triggers for separate actions, changing votes-to-lynch values, it can be overwhelming.

TEOL has pointed out the potential and potential pitfalls of the concept I had.

What's FD's idea... I'm willing to steal from the best of them. Or the worst of them if I can improve upon it. :D

Once I flesh it out a bit I might be sending it around to some people... since it has potential but needs some more thought processing on my part.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Pris I feel you could easily run a mafia game. It can be hard but it's also a lot of fun seeing what's going on behind the scenes.

It would be ultramafiaer :D

Edited by Beeker00Zero

TEOL has pointed out the potential and potential pitfalls of the concept I had.

What's FD's idea... I'm willing to steal from the best of them. Or the worst of them if I can improve upon it. :D

Once I flesh it out a bit I might be sending it around to some people... since it has potential but needs some more thought processing on my part.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Pris I feel you could easily run a mafia game. It can be hard but it's also a lot of fun seeing what's going on behind the scenes.

It would be ultramafiaer :D

I swear to god if anyone else gimmick infringes

I think I'm going to run a Newbie Mafia for players that don't really know much about how to play the game. They'll probably be smaller games, 7/9 - but I can run two simultaneously if there are enough interested people. There won't be loads of power roles, maybe a cop, maybe a doctor, maybe both (or neither.) Since they'll involve people who aren't really playing other games it shouldn't really detract from the activity in them, but we have so many going on at the moment I'll leave it a week or so to do the sign-ups.

I know what you're all thinking.

"Hmm. Which games should I sign up for? A lot of them don't seem to ever finish"

Well, to help you, here's the Game Cube Official List of Game Mods Who Finish Games

1. Sousa (6 Completed Games)

2. TEOL, Gongsun Zan (5 Completed Games)

3. Mr Potato Head, Ruki, C-MIL (4 Completed Games)

4. Plubby, Norro, Josh-oo-wuh (3 Completed Games)

5. Dukes, CWB, FD, SDM (2 Completed Games)

6. A bunch of people who've managed to run one whole game.

I actually have four in my opinion, though the fourth is of disputable finishedness. RTTGC1, World Cup Mafia and Transformers are done and dusted. I also claim that Witches was finished because we had a winner, I just didn't write the finale because 1 - lazy and 2 - Tarheels won.

It was a Mafia game, because it involved the basic rules of a Mafia game. People should be free to run their games as they see fit, really.

Also true.

My only worry is that it will inspire copycat sort of games, and we eventually have more novelty gimmicks than simple, solid games. It's nothing major, but it's my take on the matter.

There will always be people like me, you, TEOL, -A- and MPH who enjoy playing simple games enough to inspire the masses :shifty:

Why am I not on this list? :( I started the "screw the novelty games, lets do it with no gimmicks". I think RTTGC1 came before TradMaf1 anyway.

I've kept every role PM I've ever been sent for mafia games - 44 in total. A good 15 of those never finished, but I've only managed to survive in a princely 2 of those remaining. I've been mafia don once and I've never been immune to night kills. I've only been lynched 3 times. I'm shitter than I thought.

Edited by -A-

I know what you're all thinking.

"Hmm. Which games should I sign up for? A lot of them don't seem to ever finish"

Well, to help you, here's the Game Cube Official List of Game Mods Who Finish Games

1. Sousa (6 Completed Games)

2. TEOL, Gongsun Zan (5 Completed Games)

3. Mr Potato Head, Ruki, C-MIL (4 Completed Games)

4. Plubby, Norro, Josh-oo-wuh (3 Completed Games)

5. Dukes, CWB, FD, SDM (2 Completed Games)

6. A bunch of people who've managed to run one whole game.

I actually have four in my opinion, though the fourth is of disputable finishedness. RTTGC1, World Cup Mafia and Transformers are done and dusted. I also claim that Witches was finished because we had a winner, I just didn't write the finale because 1 - lazy and 2 - Tarheels won.

It was a Mafia game, because it involved the basic rules of a Mafia game. People should be free to run their games as they see fit, really.

Also true.

My only worry is that it will inspire copycat sort of games, and we eventually have more novelty gimmicks than simple, solid games. It's nothing major, but it's my take on the matter.

There will always be people like me, you, TEOL, -A- and MPH who enjoy playing simple games enough to inspire the masses :shifty:

Why am I not on this list? :( I started the "screw the novelty games, lets do it with no gimmicks". I think RTTGC1 came before TradMaf1 anyway.

You're right, I'm sorry my lovely ({)

Ooohhh...such a tough question.

Game wise? I'll give the edge to Jobber Maf II, but only just over games like WebCom 1, Transformers, the Zan Mafias. Coming so close so many times to winning as a Don, only to get pipped at the post? Kinda depressing.

That said, role wise, my favourite was The Internet Fan in Golden City 1, I think. I was supposed to post as a different EWB member everyday, but I died on the second night. Not fair at all :(

Smash Bros. Mafia for me. From pegging MPH's entire group to manufacturing the Subspace Emissary Mafia to seeing Huss basically go "lol, k" to cost the town the game at a critical moment was great. So many great moments of me and MEG wringing our hands with glee on MSN.

Incidentally, as a GM, Jobber Mafia II was my favorite game to run, considering all of the intrigue and paranoia clicked better than anything I've ever run. Pfeiffer Mafia comes in a close second, just because I enjoy utter abominations.

Edited by The Souser Urchin

Guest Mr. Bump

Webcomic III for nearly convincing the town I was a vigilante, DC Mafia for nearly convincing the town Lex Luthor was on their side, and Domed for convincing Pesci and LCS I was an investigator.

Also whichever RTTGC I was able to guess the entire Mafia in. :shifty:

Smash Bros. Mafia for me. From pegging MPH's entire group to manufacturing the Subspace Emissary Mafia to seeing Huss basically go "lol, k" to cost the town the game at a critical moment was great. So many great moments of me and MEG wringing our hands with glee on MSN.

Incidentally, as a GM, Jobber Mafia II was my favorite game to run, considering all of the intrigue and paranoia clicked better than anything I've ever run. Pfeiffer Mafia comes in a close second, just because I enjoy utter abominations.

:wub: