The Mafia Discussion Thread

This is a good time for mafia.  The last few games have been a blast!!!

I've never run a game, but I would be hella interested.  I am also loving the game that @Azazel is running right now, whatever the format is called.

• Like 2

Speaking of none standard groupings in a game, I once played one on another board based on the Marvel Civil War comics. Town was divided into three - Pro registration, Anti registration and Unaligned. Those who got the Cap and Iron Man roles could recruit from the Unaligned guys like Cults. There was a small Mafia whe were to try and take advantage of the situation too. Was fun! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Has there been a game where the mafia know who each other but can't communicate outside the thread?

Feels like that would more mimic what happens in real life games.

That's a good idea

@Forked Out I'm moving meta discussion here so as to not clog up the Quickdraw thread. I'm like, 90% sure I brought up using activity (i.e. last online on ____) before and the general consensus was that it was bad form, which is why I had asked about it. I want to say it was in this thread, but it may have been a different thread or it, more likely, was years ago. I just remember it because I'm the one that brought it up initially >_>

Maybe we should get a definitive answer. I mainly only went to check because people had mentioned Azazel hadn't been on since Tuesday. As I said in the thread though, I don't see how it's bad form but if the consensus swings that way then I would follow the rules of course. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 3:27 PM, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Personally, I think it's a valid tactic and not really against "the spirit of the game". It's not even the first time I've seen it done on EWB. It's perfectly fine deductive reasoning - "X died, Y and Z were online at the time, therefore, it stands to reason that Y or Z may have done it". It doesn't go against the game any more than something like using post counts and activity as a metric for deciding who to lynch does. 

I done fount it. 

Here's the TEOL post I was responding to:

I'm not sure where the post about what's fair in mafia is. Maybe that thread? I'll have to comb some more.

Funny enough it was actually Azazel himself who took issue with it then!

If I recall correctly, there was a daykill, and then one of the players took a screenshot of who was online to narrow down the field of suspects.

Which would probably work in any game other than mine, since I sometimes don't see people have messaged me for hours if not days.

I should add, I do feel like that's using the mechanics of the board, and not the game, to make your argument, but it's kind of impossible to prevent people from being able to go into someone's profile to see when they were last online, which is a common argument.

1 minute ago, SeanDMan said:

If I recall correctly, there was a daykill, and then one of the players took a screenshot of who was online to narrow down the field of suspects.

Which would probably work in any game other than mine, since I sometimes don't see people have messaged me for hours if not days.

Yeah, that's a bit more dirty than verifying whether or not someone has been online in days. It's a slippery slope really. I could see it for either argument honestly.

Yeah, there's a difference between the example quoted in the above posts (ie, trying to use the board mechanics to gain an advantage in game) vs checking to see if a player was on the board after the game had started.

Not everyone will necessarily get the email notifications that comes with being PM'd about their role and the tagging system doesn't go further than alerting someone who is already on the board. 

5 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

I should add, I do feel like that's using the mechanics of the board, and not the game, to make your argument, but it's kind of impossible to prevent people from being able to go into someone's profile to see when they were last online, which is a common argument.

yea... this is kinda BS.

I admit, I have looked at profiles to try to find out scums and inactives.  While it is pretty inventive to use the whos online to get an idea of a daykill, it is also kinda dirty.  I know I would be stupid pissed off if I got outed like that.

During the AEW Mafia game, I was constantly PMing with Forky about diary related things and was terrified some super sleuth would look at my profile, see I was in messenger, and automatically assume I was scum. I mean, I was, but I didn’t want to be found out like that.

Yeah, to me those two things are entirely different though. Looking at active/inactive people vs camping the "who's online" to see what type of activity they're doing is two completely different things. I think it's kind of a case by case basis on what's against the spirit of the game.

• Like 1