The Mafia Discussion Thread

On 08/10/2020 at 18:00, JMarushin said:

Put me on the bottom of the list but I want to come up with a mafia game. My two ideas are Super Mario theme or modern world politics themed, leaning mario first. Will be awhile before I am ready of course. 

I will absolutely play my first game in 6 years for a Super Mario themed game. If it happens and I'm not signing up PM me I'm so in.

1 hour ago, Tigerstyle said:

Stick me on the bottom of the list for Cake Mafia

yeah. Cake.

Chris Morris Cake, or Cake Cake?

On 09/10/2020 at 00:46, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:
  1. Meacon - Clusterfuck Mafia
  2. Jam - MTV The Challenge Mafia
  3. Naitch - Werewolves
  4. kurgan - World War 2 Mafia
  5. Azazel - Godzilla: All Out Monster Mafia
  6. Benjamin - Pixar Animation Mafia 3
  7. Neil - DBZ Mafia
  8. JMarushin - Super Mario or World Politics
  9. Neil - Pokemon Mafia

@Naitch, you ready to go?

Actually remove me from the list, I’ve got a few other things going on at the minute so don’t feel can commit to running one at the min

On the night talking discussion, since we're in night in the game, we never used to have that rule when I played prior? Don't most night results all get sent around the same time? I mean I don't see how they'd get night results if they were dead. It just seems weird to me that all discussion stops but whatever I guess.

I don't remember not having a night phase where people couldn't talk.

When I play mafia on Zoom, people have to turn off their cameras and mute. The no talking is typically because people who are taking actions are usually typing or whatever. 

As I said in addition to TEOL's point, the games that I've played in person (using the very set my game is based on), you have everyone in one room and have to get them all to close their eyes. Actions are signalled by calling on certain players to open their eyes and non-verbally indicate what we discuss here via PM. It's actually quite fun, if a little chaotic at times (especially when alcohol is involved).

10 minutes ago, RPS said:

Lets play a reverse mafia game - you can chat at night when actions are being taken, but no one can talk during the day when we lynch. 

So like most mafia games then.

5 hours ago, Forky said:

On the night talking discussion, since we're in night in the game, we never used to have that rule when I played prior? Don't most night results all get sent around the same time? I mean I don't see how they'd get night results if they were dead. It just seems weird to me that all discussion stops but whatever I guess.

Say someone outs themselves as a cop and then goes to investigate someone at night. With talking at night allowed, the cop could get his result and post it in the thread without the mafia getting the chance to kill him for outing himself as a cop. It makes town play much easier than it should be.

26 minutes ago, NaiTEOL de la reversión said:

So like most mafia games then.

Say someone outs themselves as a cop and then goes to investigate someone at night. With talking at night allowed, the cop could get his result and post it in the thread without the mafia getting the chance to kill him for outing himself as a cop. It makes town play much easier than it should be.

But why would the cop get the result if the mafia was going to kill him? Surely the game runner would wait to give a cop the result to confirm whether or not he lives through the night, wouldn't they? Like I don't get that argument at all. I mean it is what it is, I just don't see the reasoning behind it when it comes to a text based mafia game.

IRL it would be understandable but something like this I don't see the concern. But like I said, it is whatever. I just remember that it wasn't a rule a long time ago because we had many mafia games prior with talking at night being allowed. I'm pretty sure it was becoming a topic of conversation as I took a break from it for awhile and when I came back, it was the basic rule.

Why make it dependent on the gamerunner delaying things and waiting for people to get online and sending out PMs as close to each other as possible when you can just shut it all down by saying 'don't talk at night'?

8 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I don't remember not having a night phase where people couldn't talk.

When I play mafia on Zoom, people have to turn off their cameras and mute. The no talking is typically because people who are taking actions are usually typing or whatever. 

Mafia on... what? Zoom? You guys do like, live mafia games? BRO!!!!! Lol

35 minutes ago, Neil_1113 said:

MCD is a woman. She is not a guy or a bro. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neil_1113 said:

The role cards everyone playing Werewolves received were literally taken on my home office desk a few days before the game started.

I've played in-person with two groups, one at uni and one with what my high school group of friends evolved into. Both groups were new to the game but enjoyed it a lot. The biggest issue with it was keeping eliminated players entertained without distracting everyone who was still playing.