Greatest Guitar Solo of All Time?

Nerf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most of Yngwie Malmsteen's solos. Pretentious fuck he might be, but he's talented. I'd say he can be a prick whenever he wants, if anyone can play as well as him they have the right to be a prick.

I rarely rate songs based on solos, but Dismember do really good ones. And those solos on Death's Sound Of Perseverance are also great. These are my current favourites, of course.

Ah, I also like Through The Fire And Flames (all three solos). Technical, fast, melodic, it's all three, and great.

Edited by sirdavinator

"Too Close To See" by Strung Out. It's nowhere technically the best, nor does it have the most 'feeling' of a solo ever, but if there ever were a solo which fit PERFECTLY in a song then I've yet to hear it. It's normally like..."Some awesome stuff......dies down....lets have some solo which goes on for ages"...with this it's just like "WHAM!!!" and it's there...100MPH. As I said not the 'best' solo in the world, but it fits the song to absolute perfection.

Just remembered two more that I'm mortified I forgot last time :P

Walking In The Air by Nightwish. That's definately in my top five guitar solos.

My most mortifying ommission though: Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry. Luca Turilli's solo in that is fucking amazing (even moreso than his other solos :P)

'Beat It' solo was done by Eddie Van Halen, FYI.

Nef, calm down. I think he was just trying to give me a little bit of 'extra information' on the solo. I never saw anything bad in it at all. Also, I didn't even mention Michael Jackson in my post.

And yeah, I know Eddie Van Halen did the solo.

This one is hard for me to pinpoint as I'm not into those 8 hour solos, but I like a nice guitar lick in the middle of a song as a sort of transition. But I guess I'd go with the following:

Reagan Youth - Queen Babylon (Joey Turk was an underrated punk guitarist)

The Dictators - Minnesota Strip (Ross the Boss proving that he is the best guitar player you've never heard of)

Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer (Cheetah Chrome was one of the finest practitioners of the 77 style of guitar rock)

Eh, I can't think of anymore. Like I said, I'm not actively saying "HEY GUITAR SOLO, WOW", I just sort of hear the solo within the music and decide that I enjoy that particular guitar players work. It's hard for me to pinpoint something as a great guitar solo, but I can pinpoint a guitar player that can rock your fucking face. Guys like Wayne Kramer, Ron Asheton, and Johnny Thunders are just a few that showed that they can solo if they wish, but are not pigeonholed as "guitar wankers" due to their style.

Man, I love random playlists.

It just reminded me how absolutely awesome Michael Weikath is, and in particular, the solo on 'Ain't Got Nothing Better' (which, I find impossibly hard to believe, was merely a bonus track on one album, and didn't even make it on any of the Keeper compilations :o).

Greatest guitar solo ever? Maybe not. Deserving of a mention? Definately.