What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Seen a bunch of movies over the last three days.

Secret Window - 6/10

I've heard people didn't like this movie and I was hesitant in renting it but I'm glad I did. It wasn't a great movie and it wasn't an average movie. I thought it was good, even if I had a feeling of what was going on. Depp was good, like usual but I really didn't like Hutton's acting for some reason.

The Butterfly Effect - 7.5/10

This movie was really strange but it was also, pretty damn good. Kutcher showed he can do more than just comedies and Amy Smart was surprisingly good in her first 'major' character role. Loved the ending.

American Pie - 7/10

This is still a funny movie, even if I've seen it about ten times by now. The pie gag is getting a little old but everything else is still intact.

American Pie II - 6/10

The sequel is still good but just not as funny as the original. I never liked Alyson Hannigan as an actress but she's great as the nerdy girl in both of these movies.

American Wedding - 7/10

The third installment in the AP series, this one made up what AP2 lacked. Stifler is still one of the best characters and not having Suvari or Kline, didn't hurt this movie at all. Lots of funny moments.

B000065U36.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Orange County - 6/10

Colin Hanks and Jack Black are both really good. Hanks isn't his father, but he's shaping up to be one hell of an actor. Schuyler Fisk isn't exactly Sissy Spacek, but her role doesn't exactly call for that much depth either. That being said, it's probably good that she hasn't done any acting since. The supporting cast is good enough to make up for what is more or less a cliched yet smarter than normal teen flick. Thumbs up.

1573629537.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Held Up - 5.5/10 or (**) Kind of weak, plot-wise, but Jamie Foxx is certainly entertaining enough to hold your interest.

B0000D8L1K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alex and Emma - 4/10 or (*1/2) It's sad when great directors just don't know when to stop. Rob Reiner made many great films (The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, A Few Good Men, etc.), unfortunately, he made a film that just wasn't romantic or funny. Also, Nia Long was much hotter in Held Up than Kate Hudson will ever be.

B00005ASUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

2001: A Space Odyssey - 9/10 or (***1/2) Though he left us with some very strange films (Eyes Wide Shut and his work on A.I. before Spielberg took over), one thing can be said about Stanley Kubrick; he has made some very brilliant films. This film is classic solely due to Kubrick's directing style and part of the reason why this still holds up as a film.

B00005JL3K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

XXX - 4/10 or (*1/2) Sometimes, action films are too absurd that they are just crappy. This film gets a 4 solely for its epic attempt at trying to make a moving sequence during the Colombian battle scene. The rest of the movie is pretty crappy, too.

B0000BWVCM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

X2: X-Men United - 8/10 or (***) This is how you do a good superhero film. Bryan Singer adds a great ensemble cast to this and a very well done script with the action of a superhero movie as well and makes maybe the best superhero film, I personally have ever seen.

6305222908.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Private Parts - 7/10 or (**1/2) I like how Stern tells his story and balances his raucous behavior with the story of his life and the relationship with his (ex)wife.

B00003CXDJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wonder Boys - **** or (8.5/10) - (Y)

6305897786.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Ninth Gate - ** or (4/10) - (N)

Silly. Just silly.

B00005JNBO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Napoleon Dynamite - ***1/2 or (7/10) - (Y)

Still funny on viewing number four....and the added scene wasn't that funny. Still had some choice laughs in it though.