What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Garfield

Can't rate this one since as it was a kids film, and i'm 17. Only went to see it for something to do for a while. Cinema was packed with little kids and they seemed to enjoy it, so I guess it's a good kiddy's film.

862220.jpg

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle - 6.5/10

In this film, John Cho and Kal Penn, two career "B" actors come together in a story that challenges movie racial stereotypes without being preachy in any way. Instead, this is a vibrantly funny comedy that has more than enough bite to leave the audience feeling entirely fullfilled. John Cho is perhaps the better of the two; his deadpan to scenery chewing mix of delivery is fantastic. It's great to see a movie told from the real underdog's perspective, taking a real hard look at the characters usually saved for cameo roles. Thumbs up.

B00000ING2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Hudsucker Proxy - 6/10 or (**1/2) Maybe the worst of the Coen Brothers films but it is decently entertaining.

B00005JM10.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Biker Boyz - 5.5/10 or (**) At its worst, it could be considered a Fast and The Furious rip-off trading cars for motorcycles. At its best, it does better on its dramatic emphasis than F&TF.

B0000AMRUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dreamcatcher - 4/10 or (*1/2) Poorly done horror, which is no surprise considering Warner Bros. distributed it. Not even an appearance by Leesus Christ (as Numbahs so put him) can save this film.

B00028HBKM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Passion of The Christ - 8.5/10

I've seen this film 3 times now, and in each rewatch I enjoy the film no less than before. What must be understood here is that this is a film to be mostly enjoyed by Christians, because the real beauty of it is in the subtext: the altruistic sacrifice of Jesus' own life so we may be given eternal life. Without that it's perhaps little more than a gore fest, but with it the most contraversial movie of the year is also one of the best. Thumbs up, and look out for the DVD August 31st.

B00029LO0Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Home On The Range - ** or (4/10) - (N)

Please Disney, just stop.

195981.jpg

Battle Royale - *** or (6/10) - (Y)

...and from the guilty pleasure files.

The film isn't good, but it had me guessing until the end....and I had fun while doing so. The ending felt like a cop-out. I was just hoping that the chick would turn and cap her boyfriend in the head.

B00003CXLV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Replacements - 6/10

So much more fun than I remembered. Favs, Orlando Jones and a surprisingly compitent comedic performance by Keanu Reeves make this completely watchable. I'd point out however that it could have done with being 20 minutes or so shorter. 2 hours is too long for a sports comedy. Thumbs up though.

B0002OXRSG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Saved! - 4/10

For all the heat that movie companies take for racial stereotyping, this movie proves that they don't do very well at majorities on screen either. Saved is a scathing critique (almost a hatchet job) on Christianity which makes almost no attempt to specify between orthodox and modernized Christianity; choosing to open fire on any Christ follower in sight. I've never met a single Christian in my life as phony and prejudiced as Hilary Faye (played really quite well by Mandy Moore), yet Brian Dannelly seems to think that her type represents the majority. Of course, the more enlightened non-Christians are able to alert us to the error of our ways by the end, and of course Hilary Faye apologises for all the bad things she's done, choosing to take her anger out on Jesus instead. This is Hollywood, remember, it's the Jesus movies that get ravaged, not the anti-Jesus ones. Thumbs down.

Hellboy - 8/10, I found it to be a pretty good movie, though I hadn't really heard of anybody in the movie, except for a few.

The Whole Ten Yards - 5/10, funny at parts, really stupid at others

Against The Ropes - 7/10, a good movie about boxing i thought, but some of the acting was blah.

I've never met a single Christian in my life as phony and prejudiced as Hilary Faye (played really quite well by Mandy Moore)

I know tons...but they are Mormons. (They are out there somewhere)

But I almost didn't recommend Saved right off the bat because it is totally against anyone that believes in God right up until the final 5 minutes or so when it almost has to backpedal and say "Hey, you know what? Believe what you want to believe".....I did give it *** though. :shifty:

What can I say? It was funny as hell to me.

B00005QZ7U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Moulin Rouge - **** or (8.5/10) - (Y)

If you look past the severely out of place 20 minutes the film opens up with, this is cinematic awesomeness.

The Village - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed the film, even though lots of people shitted on it and some people in my theater walked out. Not as good as Sixth Sense but better than both Unbreakable & Signs, IMO. Bryce Dallas Howard was great in her role, along with Joaquin Phoenix. Lots of twists and turns and I'd have to say, I never expected the ending.

I've never met a single Christian in my life as phony and prejudiced as Hilary Faye (played really quite well by Mandy Moore)

I know tons...but they are Mormons. (They are out there somewhere)

But I almost didn't recommend Saved right off the bat because it is totally against anyone that believes in God right up until the final 5 minutes or so when it almost has to backpedal and say "Hey, you know what? Believe what you want to believe".....I did give it *** though. :shifty:

What can I say? It was funny as hell to me.

Alright, I'll be more specific, I've never seen a Baptist that phony and prejudiced. I'll say there were a few really funny moments, but I thought that even as a satire it was rather one dimensional, and that the humour isn't really biting at all. To me it's too bad that Mandy Moore's first really good performance was wasted on an almost charmless film.

B00005QZ7U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Moulin Rouge - **** or (8.5/10) - (Y)

If you look past the severely out of place 20 minutes the film opens up with, this is cinematic awesomeness.

In other words, I shouldn't have stopped watching after 5. Shit. Guess I'm off to the rentals again.

B0000897DY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cheats - 4.5/10 or (**) May I remind you that this is different than Cheaters but only really the name. This also makes me thing that part of this was ripped off BY the recent The Perfect Score. Oh yeah, it also sucked, too.

0790750201.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Freejack - 3/10 or (*) Maybe I just can't dig early sci-fi flicks (excluding the amazing 2001: A Space Odyssey). This sucked terribly bad with the chessiest sci-fi ideas I have ever heard in my life. And with that in mind, may I now remove Pluto Nash from from my 10 Worst list, please?