What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

I quite liked it. Leslie Mancuso is awesome, and Robert Englund as the hero's (villain's?) foil was awesome.

Scarecrow - 1/10

So bad it's good, but still awful. I mean c'mon, in one montage they left a shot of the clapperboard in and the plot has more holes than a fishing net.

Recently I've watched a lot of stuff but I won't go through an extensive list, just a couple of things.

Brothers - 9/10

I really liked this movie. I didn't think it would be as good. I figured it'd be better than average but you get three really strong performances in it. I'm going to have to check out the original if I can get it with subtitles.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 1 - 9/10

Really good show and one that I was sad to see canceled. I'm a massive Terminator fan and just finished getting all the movies on Blu-Ray to watch. I'm in the middle of the last season right now and it looks to be ending really well as I didn't see it when it was on TV.

Leon - 8.5/10

I rented the new extended version Blu-Ray from Netflix and quite enjoyed it. The scenes that are added probably shouldn't have been deleted from the original version as they give some pretty good filling to the general story.

Where The Wild Things Are. Load of bollocks/10

Seriously, what? Maybe I'm missing something by not knowing about the book - but that shouldn't matter, it's an adaptation not an addendum. Sure, it looks pretty, it's well shot, and the soundtrack's superb - but it's bollocks. Nothing happens for half the film, and then there's no resolution, no moral. Sure, the kid starts to maybe learn something about the importance of family and knowing who your friends are, but BARELY, and not enough to change his entire raison d'etre and make him suddenly think "I WANT TO GO HOME" - and then, when he does, he doesn't apologise to his mother or anything he just...he's there, and the film ends.

So...what? There's maybe a moral or a point buried in there somewhere, but isn't this supposed to be a kid's film? I assume so, it's based on a kid's bedtime story...even tied up in indie cool, it's still meant for kid's, or at least they're supposed to be able to appreciate it? Well no kid of bedtime story age is going to read between the lines about what this film means, hell, I've got qualifications in Film Studies and I'm having to stretch to do it myself.

The film just meanders pointlessly, and then suddenly there's an utterly unconvincing change of heart, and the film ends. Moral of the story? Presumably it's "run away from home because you're a spoilt brat and you'll have a magical adventure, and when you come back your mother will be waiting with a big helping of chocolate cake". Nice one.

PS: I know it's a standard by now, but I hate how often we have to put up with the "kid spends days, weeks or years in a mystical, magical kingdom, but when he/she returns, their parents think they've only been gone a few minutes!" plot twist. Fuck off.

The film just meanders pointlessly, and then suddenly there's an utterly unconvincing change of heart, and the film ends. Moral of the story? Presumably it's "run away from home because you're a spoilt brat and you'll have a magical adventure, and when you come back your mother will be waiting with a big helping of chocolate cake". Nice one.

PS: I know it's a standard by now, but I hate how often we have to put up with the "kid spends days, weeks or years in a mystical, magical kingdom, but when he/she returns, their parents think they've only been gone a few minutes!" plot twist. Fuck off.

That just sounds like Coraline.

I've been umming and ahhing about whether to go see Where The Wild Things Are. My main problem is how it has been - from the get-go - a film designed for middle class, white art student hipsters even though it's adapted from a children's book. I hate anything that says to that particular audience 'yes, you are a valued part of society, and we love your sense of self-importance'. That's why I refused to see Fantastic Mr Fox as well (the trailer itself was SO smug). Why must they ruin children's literature like that? What next? Biff, Chip, Kipper & Floppy sneer at plebes for listening to Coldplay?

I get a feeling I'd spend my time much better re-watching Son of Rambow, which captures childhood innocence and imagination perfectly. And shoehorns a weird religious subplot for some reason.

I think you might like Fantastic Mr. Fox...check it out on DVD.

I will because it stylistically looks like an old CITV show, but what I thought would occur was confirmed by film reviewer Mark Kermode in that the film feels "above" being a kid's film. I might enjoy the film as an entity, but not the overall message it wants to convey.

I'm not sure Fantastic Mr Fox is even intended to be a kid's film. Just watching it as a Wes Anderson film, it's superb - it's as mad as a sack full of weasels, and probably the most fun film I've seen all year - though part of that might be my love of stop-motion.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Fantastic Mr Fox is even intended to be a kid's film. Just watching it as a Wes Anderson film, it's superb - it's as mad as a sack full of weasels, and probably the most fun film I've seen all year - though part of that might be my love of stop-motion.

They've been showing it as part of parent/child screenings at cinemas apparently. Again on the Mark Kermode podcast, one mother wrote in pretty angry that they used the word 'cuss' as their form of swearing when they shouldn't be implying swear words to such an audience in the first place.