What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

This weeks episode of Best Of The Worst - 9/10

The single best panel show on TV right now. David Mitchell is possibly the funniest man with constant exposure on TV right now (I'm still pissed at missing the Mitchell/Webb thing last night). Alexander Anderson (I think?) is hilarious too. Fearne Cotton would get it. Mel G was a bit of a letdown, as she's usually funnier. And even Johnny Vaughn managed to lose a bit of his Shit Jeremy Clarkson aura, and be rather funny at times.

In the Footsteps of Churchill - 8/10 (Episode 4: The Wilderness Years)

I like me some history documentaries, especially with a decent historian like Richard Holmes. Adam Hart-Davis can fuck right off.

Edited by stokeriño

Happy Hour - "The Mix CD" - 4/10

A big drop off from a decent premiere. I didn't laugh once. This better get good.

Men In Trees - "Pilot" - 5/10

Not quite good, but forgivable. I'll give it another shot at catching me.

Bones - "The Mother and Child In the Bay" - 7/10

Bones is getting a lot better this year. The relationship between Bones/Booth is a lot more interesting this year, and Tamara Taylor has proved a great addition.

House - "Cane And Able" - 7/10

Didn't hold the intrigue of the premiere, but it was good.

Crank

aeogae_314946_1[512630].jpg

Jason Statham is fantastic as a typical cheesy action kinda fella and this is his best since Snatch. It's a surprisingly enjoyable film with a great concept, seriously FANTASTIC visual cinematography and it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

It's not gonna win any kind of awards but it's cooler than any usual Hollywood "action thriller" fare, and a delicious change from the seemingly endless and boring deluge of horrors that SAW has brought about.

And it's 87 minutes and therefore not too long.

Oh yeah, a hitman (Statham) is injected with a deadly Chinese poison by an enemy of his and has an hour to live before his heart gives out - unless he can keep himself alive by constantly upping his addrenaline.

And the mrs loved it, laughing along throughout (but then she loves seeing people having hands cut off with meat cleavers in cheesy action films that don't take themselves too seriously)

060829_crank_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg

What's not to love about Statham running around in a backness hospital gown, with an erection, bikejacking a cop?

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

DOA: Dead or Alive 6/10

I was expecting far far worse.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't good by any stretch of the imagination. You don't need me to tell you if you want a film to make you think, if you want a gripping story, if you want character development, intrigue or unseen plot twists, go elsewhere! It doesn't even have THAT good a story, and the whole thing seems really fake and cheesey at times.

However, if like me you go expecting just tits and violence, it isn't all that either. The fight scenes whilst not great are fairly good, they do attempt a story, and there have been worse and more badly done plots this year.

And finally, whilst he isn't in it much (nowhere near enough), Kevin Nash provides the only two genuinely funny INTENTIONAL laughs of the film.

The best thing I can say is that despite its flaws, despite it could have been better written and MUCH better made, it is NOT a boring film. I have seen plenty more boring films this year, and at only 87 minutes it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Overall, its a film I didn't find bad, but wouldn't really want to see again - unless its on free TV and I literally have NOTHING else to do.

Edited by timmayy rave

The Matrix

A very good movie. Interesting story, fantastic special effects.

7.5/10

The Matrix Reloaded

Special effects are better, fight scenes are better, but story lacks, and overall this is not as interesting and has boring moments.

7/10

The Matrix Revolutions

A step up from Reloaded. Special effects in this movie are at the best in the series. The fight scene between Neo and Smith at the end is my favorite scene of all 3 movies. I really liked the story.

7.5/10

Watching the 3 Matrix movies in one day isn't good for the head. It was fun though.

2 months ago, I saw the Star Wars Trilogy in a day. Then Matrix. My friend and I soon plan to watch all 3 Lord of the Rings movies in a day.

Over the weekend I watched the latter two thirds of House season one. Awesome. And I watched the second half of How I Met Your Mother. If they maintain this, Barney is going to become a TV legend.

Bones - "The Boy In The Shroud" - 7/10

The Bones/Booth relationship is great this year. Hodgins/Angela could be great too. And Tamara Taylor is Canadian. This clearly proves the theory that every great show has a Canadian or a Limey.

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - "Pilot" - 8.5/10

Second best pilot I've seen this year. Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford are such a kick ass on screen team.

Standoff - "Circling" - 6/10

Okay so this show requires a suspension of disbelief, but it's fun. The pizza bit was hilarious, and although the show gives no profound insight and is thoroughly formulaic, who cares? The cast is great, the pacing is excellent and it's more fun than anything I can think of in the timeslot until Veronica Mars returns.

Fly Away Home - 5/10

It'd be an awesome performance based flick ran on how talented Jeff Daniels and a young Anna Paquin are if there weren't so many obvious plot holes and illogicalities in the story. Well, that and the typical drama cliches, too.