What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Class - "The Class Learns About Hurricanes" - 8/10

Great episode. Easily the best of the run so far, as Lizzy Caplan and Jason Ritter have finally come to the forefront and proved themselves capable of leading a show. Lina and Richie are still the best thing about the show, though.

Corner Gas - "Two Degrees Of Separation" - 6/10

Easily the worst of season 4 so far. Corner Gas is still funny, but I can't help but notice that its punchlines don't seem to have the same bite as they once had. Maybe it's just early season cobwebs, but it's definitely a drop off.

The Class - "The Class Learns About Hurricanes" - 8/10

Great episode. Easily the best of the run so far, as Lizzy Caplan and Jason Ritter have finally come to the forefront and proved themselves capable of leading a show. Lina and Richie are still the best thing about the show, though.

Forget to post this when I saw it, but anyways.

Supernatural - Season 2 Premiere (In My Time Of Dying)

A great episode, with lots of drama. I liked the twist towards the end with the Reaper. The ending was pretty predictable, but I felt it had to be done. And Jenson Ackles really shined in this episode.

8/10

The Black Dahlia - 6/10

You know for all it's shortcomings (and there are many), I just can't seem to dislike this movie. It's got a charismatic cast of easy on the eyes stars, the enigmatic style of Brian Depalma behind the camera and an in your face presentation of the story that really keeps the viewer involved. It's no L.A. Confidential, obviously, but that hardly disqualifies it from being a decent film. If there's nothing else catching your eyes at the theatres, give it a try. You might be surprised.

A Man Called Hero - 6/10

This is an adaptation of one of my favourite comic book series of all time, Blood Sword. I really liked how true to the comics they stayed considering that they had to cut out, condense and change some bits to fit it into a movie they still didn't veer far off course. The only real problem is that it's a pretty lacklustre film. This film seems like a 'Straight to DVD' martial arts film and it could've been so much more if it was done right. The film also looks fairly low budget.

Edited by Evil Baka Gaijin Kulex

Friday Night Lights - Pilots

In my opinion a lot better than the movie, has me interested for the next few shows anyway. I knew the direction they were going to go with the underdog player, but it was still brilliantly done and the last few minutes were pure awesomeness.

9/10

Heroes - "Don't Look Back" - 8.5/10

This could seriously be Heroes "Walkabout" for this year. Such a sharp upturn, although last week's was very good too. The numbers are alright for the show thus far, and I hope they continue because NBC is very successfully marketing this one as "event TV", and it fits the billing.

How I Met Your Mother - "Brunch" - 6.5/10

I didn't feel like they were really going anywhere with this one, but Barney trying to impress Ted's parents was great. Let's keep those parents away from now on though, shall we? Lilly and Marshall together/not together but sorta together is wishy washy to me. They could have waited months before going back to that again, and it's disappointed that they're rushing to it so quickly.

Veronica Mars - "The Welcome Wagon" - 7/10

Okay like I said in the VM thread, disappointing. But at least the show proved better on the TV than streaming online for some reason. It'll be interesting to see if they can do anything weightier if Veronica doesn't have a huge mystery to solve, but I suppose it'd be a tad cynical to just assume they couldn't after two years of awesomeness. But Piz is no Beaver, and new Dick is no old Dick. Someone needs to make Dick a dick again.

Boston Legal - "Desperately Seeking Shirley" - 7.5/10

Jeffrey Coho is a fucking icon. And Denny was great this week. Shame that Allan has been so lame recently, but everyone else has stepped it up this year so it's all good.

The Unit - The Kill Zone - 7/10

Another quality episode of The Unit. The whole "not the legal guardian wants to take care of the kids while the grandparents who never seen them also want them and since they are related they get them but we find out they just want the money so they trick them into releasing this information by a hidden camera" deal is so overplayed and brought the rating down somewhat. But the actual combat zone part of the show was good as usual.

The Nine - Pilot - 7/10

Pretty good. Dragged a little at times but it was just getting us introduced to the main characters. I like that they are going to show bits and pieces of the bank robbery as that is an interesting take on a show. The ending with Felicia saying hi on the phone to Lucas was strange. Should be interesting to find that part out.

Jericho - Four Horsemen - 7/10

Better than last week. I want to know what is going on with Rob as he is a strange character. Them finding out that by some Asian news station and by the black box in the planes that there was many different explosions not just in Denver or Atlanta (well, Rob knew of it, the others didn't) was good. I hope it picks up though. Too many boring parts. But it is a decent enough show to hold me over before Lost and The Nine.

Edited by Fitzy

Through the power of the internet....I bring you reviews on the first five episodes of......

TAS_title.jpg

STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES

Now you hear trekkies always running down TAS as absolutely crap, So I had to get my hands on it to see if it was true. And what I found is that I really enjoyed it. Anyways on with the first 5 episode reviews (I may spoil episodes, so If you want to watch at sometime unspoiled skip my reviews):

Episode #01 Beyond the Farthest Star - 6/10

Well the whole show did start off with a crappy episode. We see the first of the life support belts, which is just Filmation's way of not having to draw big suits over the characters. Anyways a entity they find on a abandoned pod ship takes control of the Enterprise, but Kirk outwits it into thinking that he's gonna crash into a star, to make the entity leave. Problem solved.

Episode #02 Yesteryear - 8/10

Perhaps on of the best TAS episodes, and one that is still canonical for the Star Trek universe. (Different aspects of different episodes of TAS are canon or noncanon, but the Star Trek highups still count TAS as noncanon). Kirk & Spock are at the "guardian of Forever", but when returning to the Enterprise no one recognizes Spock. It ends up with Spock having to go back in time to help himself pass the Kahs-wan test, and help him decide if he's gonna grow up Vulcan styles, or Human styles. I love this episode, but thats probably because I've got a soft-spot for anything Spock.

Episode #03 One Of Our Planets Is Missing - 7/10

The Enterprise gets stuck in a cloud that seems to consume planets. The cloud ends up to be a living thing. Shit unfolds, and Kirk thinks the only way to save the universe is to blow up the ship in his cloud. Why do captains always jump at the chance to go down with their ship. Even when there is no need. In the end a vulcan mindmeld saves the day. Spock always solves all. A nice episode, but in true TAS style, it doesn't fit into the Star Trek style of the day, and even less in the Star Trek style of today.

Oh and a fun thing about this episode is that Lieutenant Arex speaks for the first time. In TAS they introduced two aliens on the bridge they could not have in TOS because of their weird look would be a bitch to do in the day. Heres an image of Arex:

Arex_in_command.jpg

Episode #04 The Lorelai Signal - 6/10

All the males are attracted to a star away from their mission. Kirk orders them to go there. They beam down, and are under the control of the lorelai woman. All Males on the enterprise go nutty so Uhura takes control of the enterprise and saves the day. I wont ruin most of this story, coz I really found this one too boring to write about to put it bluntly. Only watch if you are going to watch all of them in order. Two major things happen for the first time in this episode:

* The First time a female takes charge of a starship in a episode. (Uhura this time)

* The first time the transporter is used to heal somebody.

Episode #05 More Tribbles, More Troubles - 9/10

Cyrano Jones and those lovable tribbles are back. One of the most fun episodes of TAS. This time they are genetically engineered so they don't multiply, but know they get really big. Klingon's get annoyed at tribbles as usual. Ready to start a fullblown war with the federation to get rid of the pesky things. A must watch episode. This episode saw the first use of the Klingon isignia that is used today

I'll post some more reviews as I watch more episodes. There is so much in TAS, that has been used in subsequent Star Trek shows, that even though its not strictly speaking canon, It is a major guide to people writing later Star Trek shows. And they are incredibly fun. I highly suggest any trekkies hunt them down and watch them.

The Office- The Coup

8/10

I loved this episode. Dwight's scene with Michael at the end, and everything with Jim had me dying. I love the possibility of the girl in Jim's office having a thing for him to somewhat have the tables turned. Either way it was a solid episode, Season 3 is going smooth so far and I'm loving the Stanford branch.

The Vanishing - 7/10

Movie should of ended with it's original ending. Would have been more awesome.

Billy Madison - 8/10

Never watched the entire thing before. VERY funny though.

Edited by The Z-Man

Katt Williams - The Pimp Chronicles, Part 1 - :thumbsdown:

Didn't watch it all, so no rating, but it seems Williams really isn't funny and is just using curse words for curse words' sake. Perhaps this isn't a shock from a cast member of Wild N Out, but I still thought he'd be funny.

Edited by RCOC

Trailer Park Boys: The Movie - 5/10

I dunno, if you're a newcomer to TPB you might find this rehash of old jokes from the series funny, but for me I only laughed like twice. It's a really uncomfortable attempt to make what works fine on the small screen draw an arc that probably would have taken an entire season on the show into 95 minutes. Disappointing.

The Departed 10/10.

This movie was fucking incredible, and it must be seen by everyone. I can't really add anymore that could sell it, JUST GO SEE IT!

Edit: Oh well fuck it, I've bumped it to 10, it's warranted though.

Edited by Assassin

The Departed 10/10.

This movie was fucking incredible, and it must be seen by everyone. I can't really add anymore that could sell it, JUST GO SEE IT!

Edit: Oh well fuck it, I've bumped it to 10, it's warranted though.