What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

manabouttownxl5.jpg

Man About Town - 6.5/10

Holy shit, Affleck finally picks a good comedic script and they send it straight to DVD? Mike Binder ("The Mind Of the Married Man", The Upside Of Anger) is behind this one and it's both witty and insightful. Affleck leads a cast of spirited performers that's good aside from the unsurprisingly awkward work of Ling Bai. It meanders at points, but I like where it goes, and Affleck is as loveable as ever in the lead. Good year for him quality wise, now hopefully he can bring the crowds back.

Giner Snaps 2: Unleashed

What made the first movie one of my favorite horror movies was the relationship between Bridgette and Ginger. This movie lacks that, but you can tell tries. Just isn't the same. Still a very good movie, but leaves some things unanswered.

7.5/10

Ginger Snaps 3: The Beginning

Not a sequel, not a prequel. This is more like the first movie, with Bridgette and Ginger togther. But it doesn't have that feeling of the first movie. And deep down you know, if though they look the same with the same names, it's not really the ones we know and love. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't see it though.

7/10

Child's Play 3

Fell asleep halfway through. From what I've seen, it's definitly the worst of the 5. I fell alseep because it was boring.

5/10

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Definitly not what I was expecting. First of all, cinematography (can't spell it) is amazing, every shot would make a worthwhile picture to hang on your wall. This movie has one of top 10 scores I've ever heard. The plot itself is kind of confusing, and at times I have no idea what was going on, but that just added to my enjoyment. Compared to Kubrick's other works, this is a superb movie, but I preferred Clockwork Orange and The Shining.

9.5/10

Edited by Rashid

B000ICM5X0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38861347_.jpg

You, Me And Dupree - 4/10

This being an extremely weak year for comedies, You, Me And Dupree has thus far been able to crack the top 20 grossing films domestically, and one can only cite celebrity as to the reason why. It is as bloated, repetitive and anti-climactic as comedies come, and entirely forgetable. The only redeeming factor is Owen Wilson, who brightens up what would have otherwise been a reprehensible feature.

Infernal_Affairs_II.jpg

Infernal Affairs II - 8/10

While not as good, or as entertaining as the original, this prequel takes the action a few years back from the original, showcasing Sam's rise to power in particular, as well as his friendship with SP Wong. It's more like your typical mafia movie, and it won't be too hard to draw certain parallels between this and movies like The Godfather, but regardless of that, it's still a good enough venture if you like the characters that the first presented and want to know more about them.

423px-Infernal_Affair_III.jpg

Infernal Affairs III - 8/10

Released just a month after the first sequel, this trilogy-ending movie takes the role of both a prequel AND a sequel, detailing events that occured both before and after the original movie. Also, both Andy Lau and Tony Leung return for this movie, which definitely brings it up a notch over the first sequel. A bit confusing at times, the movie keeps going back and forth in time (think Godfather II), telling two different stories as a result. Ming has to contend with what appears to be yet another mole in the police agency, one that, with the help of an old associate of Sam's, is wiping out anybody and everybody else who had connections to the crime boss, while Yan is put in charge of Sam's mainland business.

The two sequels, while very obviously forced as a result of the massive success of the original (at least in Hong Kong), are both nice additions that go deeper into the characters that made the original such a success, and they still seem somewhat natural (although the pace is much different than it was in the original). It's a nice trilogy that any fan of mobster movies should check out, assuming they know Cantonese, or aren't bothered by having to read subtitles.

1985796654_1999998249_saw3_337x253_lionsgate.jpg

SAW III 8/10

I was dissapointed through most of the movie but then the last 20-30 minutes happened and I realized this movie was fucking brilliant. Also probably the sickest of the 3. However I fail to see how they are planning on doing a Saw IV.

My Name is Earl - Van Hickey - 8.5/10

Your standard Earl episode, quite a few good laughs though which is why the rating

Veronica Mars - Charlie Don't Surf - 9.5/10

Great episode, especially compared to what has been a fairly lackluster season so far

28 Days Later

At first it looks like a zombie-horror movie. But they're not zombies, and it's not even a horror movie. A very good movie regardless. Loved the characters, interesting plot. Looking forward to the sequel.

8/10

Suddenly!

A Frank Sinatra film from the '50's I got at Wal-Mart for 50cents. Pretty interesting plot. Movie was kinda cheesy, but fun anyway.

6.5/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

An enjoyable movie. Havent seen the original yet (will after) so I can't really compare. Nothing else more to say about it.

7/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

7th movie I've seen in a 26 hour timeframe. Before I've seen this movie, only 1 movie (Exorcist) scared me past the age of 9. This is now the 2nd. Very horrific and terrifying. Very disturbing movie. This is now my 3rd favorite horror movie (just behind Shining and Exorcist).

9.5/10

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

Very good music, great acting. Anthony Perkins was amazing. Loved the twist at the end.

9.5/10

Edited by Rashid

Saw 3: 8/10

I'm right there with you pepsi, if it wasn't for the last third of the film, this would have been the worst of the 3 Saw films. This film is not for the faint of heart, and its because of one particular trap. The acting, which has been a major problem for the series(at least for me) is better but thats not saying much.

Dexter - Love American Style - 8/10

Again with another quality episode. This show is just so great. I liked how Debra was all "put the blindfold back on" to Tucci. What a horrible thing to say to some guy who just went through that shit. But then Sgt. Doakes said no and later said he must put it on. Horrible people but I loved it.

Dexter is so awkward, especially when he went to go down on Rita and saying he doesn't like girls to his dad. But he is a great character. I liked the ending with the Ice Truck Killer (or so we are to assume) looking out through the trunk key hole at Dexter killing the guy who helps Cubans into the country. He clearly made a mistake by killing the wife as he had no time to chop that body up and next weeks looks very interesting with the Homicide Division actually getting called to investigate one of his murders for the first time. :o

And Masuka was also great with him being afraid of rats and believing he will get some kind of disease from touching anything to do with them.

Edited by Fitzy

Jericho - "9:02" - 6.5/10

Nothing spectacular, but good enough. They have the Lost formula down enough so it works, I'm just happy that all the copycats haven't made Lost seem lesser than.

B00005JPAM.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39928454_.jpg

The Queen - 8/10

From director Stephen Frears, The Queen is a masterful lesson in mediation. It's difficult at the best of times putting a biopic together about someone still alive; when the subject happens to be one of the most well known public figures who rarely speaks out in public the task is nearly impossible. And when you center the film around an issue as controversial as the royal family's handling of Princess Diana's death, well, one doesn't need to wonder why such a film took nearly 10 years to surface. Luckily such a story is in strong hands, as Mr. Frears not only manages to make a film that shows both the pro and anti-Royal positions, but also entertains a great deal in the process. Helen Mirren brings precision to the lead role, and she's counterbalanced by the excellent work of Michael Sheen as Tony Blair. A must for the history buffs.

Criminal Minds - S2E6/The Boogeyman - 8.5/10

What I love about this show is that despite the horrific crimes and unsubs, the show also allows us those moments inside the teams' head, but not in a way that overshadows the stories each week. So many shows either go too far with only the crimes and no personal stuff, ;ike Law & Order, or too far the other way, like many many episodes of Law & Order: SVU. Criminal Minds gets it right.

This episode was as much about Elle and whether she was going to be caught for murdering a suspect last week in cold blood as it was about the person killing little kids in a small Texas town. Both stories were compelling and gripping, even if the show took too long to get going where it was headed on the killer front. However the endings of both stories were enough to bring a tear to the eye and make you feel extreme remorse for both the killer and for Elle.