What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

The Unit - Force Majeure - 7/10

Pretty good with them heading for a mission to save a former West African president at a hosiptal during a major hurricane and choosing whether or not they should actual save him considering his past. They took him out of power one time and now the US needs him back in power but in the end one guy leaves him behind telling the others he is dead when he really wasn't. I enjoyed it.

Dexter - Popping Cherry - 8/10

Dexter is always awesome and this was no different. I liked that he was able to control his need to kill in this episode and let the kid go due to him believing the kids story about him needing to kill that other boy because he was raped.

Lost - "Further Instructions" - 5/10

Locke's flashback stuff and the Boone reappearance was alright, but there wasn't much else cool in the show. Then again, I don't like Lost, either, so I suppose this is a par for the course episode.

B00005JPAS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39931116_.jpg

Marie Antoinette - 8/10

Sofia Coppola makes this film what it is. It's not just her mix of neo-realist dialogue and yet surreal historical interpretations, nor is it her playful camera work, or her 80's new wave-heavy musical taste. It's the mixture of all three that makes what could have been a pleasureless expose about bourgeois excess into a stimulating and sympathetic portrayal of a young couple born into expectations too great and with too little preparation. There's something about the aerie asthetic of 1980's New Wave that fits sublimely with the vain pretensiousness of the 18th century French Aristocracy, and it serves to disarm the viewer while Coppola subtlely mocks its lunacy. Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman are tailor made for their roles, and are rounded out by a strong supporting cast that includes Judy Davis, Rip Torn, Molly Shannon, Shirley Henderson, Danny Huston, Steve Coogan, Rose Byrne (*drools*) and Asia Argento (ditto). I'm happy to say that, while it may not live up to the lofty expectations of as sharp a film as Coppola's previous work Lost In Translations, Marie Antoinette is definitely a keeper.

The Office - Grief Counseling 6/10

Catching up on The Office, ok episode but not one of the better ones IMO, only a couple small laughs.

The Office - Initiation 8.8/10

Much better episode, I loved The Cardigans part, Dwight initiating Ryan and Michael's Cosby impression

Criminal - 7/10

John C. Reilly puts on his best game in the megaunderappreciated 2004 release Criminal, playing to a tee the role of a, well, criminal. Perhaps having a solid cast of talents helps as well, in a cast including Diego Luna, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jonathan Tucker, and scene-stealer Peter Mullan. Co-writer/director Gregory Jacobs creates a film with solid writing and uniquely done twists and manages to make the film entertaining the whole way through. However, perhaps the film’s biggest fault is that it never strikes a person as classic. The movie is good and has good scenes but none stand out as brilliant. And for the type of smooth crime caper effort Jacobs goes for here, it is not really needed to be brilliant. Criminal may not be the best caper movie you will ever see, but it’s damn hard to call it bad.

The Prestige - 10/10

Fantastic movie, Christopher Nolan has yet to make a bad movie in his entire career. That's damn impressive. Christian Bale...yeah, I'm going to marry him. He will be mine, oh yes, he will be mine.

B0007R4SX6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115535700_.jpg

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers - 6/10

During the viewing of the Life and Death of Peter Sellers, I felt very conflicted. On one hand, director Stephen Hopkins takes things too heavy-handedly and a lot (and I mean, a lot) of the "Sellers in a movie" scenes do not work quite as well as imagined, despite Geoffrey Rush doing a brilliant job as Sellers. And that's where the other hand comes in. Rush practically disguises himself as Sellers, making the viewer feel like we're really seeing the man and his characters in celluloid. There is solid acting from everyone involved, in fact, including John Lithgow as Pink Panther director Blake Edwards, Emily Watson as the tortured first wife, Anne Sellers, and Charlize Theron being transcendent as the beautiful Britt Ekland. Despite Hopkins being a shaky director, there are way too many positives for this dark comedy of sorts to really stumble.

The Marine

With this film i wasn't really expecting much but it was a lot better than "See No Evil" at first i thought oh it's John Cena but he played the part very well and the action is pretty good and the story kept me wanting to watch more.

A lot of people will have the own view of this film and there own say but i thought it was pretty good and sit's well on my dvd collection and the part that made me laugth was when one of the guy's said "He's like The Terminator he won't die" the look that Robert Patrick gave was pretty funny.

There's actually some pretty funny line's that may make a few of you laugth i'd give the film a chance and i'm glad i did.

8/10

Morgan: Hey Man, You said there were no crocodiles in these marsh!

Bennett: Those are Alligators.

Morgan: Are they Hungry?

[Looking at Alligators eating the body]

Bennett: Not Anymore!

Edited by Lex Luther

John Carpenter's The Thing

Great movie. Creepy atmosphere, very good acting, superb score. Very good special effects. It's like Alien but in the Arctic.

8.5/10

Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window

Wow, this was awesome. Loved the camera angles of the apartment shots. This was my first time seeing a Hitchcock movie, and I was not let down. If you wanna know what it's about, a photographer stuck in a wheelchair spends his time looking out his window observing his neighbors, when he's convinced one neighbor is a murdered. Yeah, Simpsons basically did a parody of it.

9/10

Edited by Rashid

Dexter - Let's Give the Boy a Hand - 8/10

Another excellent episode from this awesome show. I liked the storyline of Tucci being alive while the Ice Truck Killer was taking parts of his body and placing them in spots where Dexter and his dad took old photos. Angel's storyline was good as was Sgt. Doakes' storyline where they took down Guerrero.

Departed-Poster.jpg

The Departed - 7/10

A surprisingly inferior movie to the original. Although I don't really want to go into it, the problem, simply put, is that the movie had no "soul", I guess, and no real reason for being. However, that's not to say it's a bad movie, because it really isn't, but it's just.. there... It does nothing for me. If you're interested in the plotline, go out of your watch to watch the superior Infernal Affairs, where you actually care about the people in the film, what it is they're doing, what is happening to them, and why.

And I do believe Damon stole the show. Same with Winstone.

B00005JPBP.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39927892_.jpg

The Prestige - 8/10

Great stuff. Would have been higher if it hadn't been a thriller with a seen-from-miles-away sort of ending. Still, this is a massive sort of film with spirited performances, Christopher Nolan just knocking one out of the park as the writer/director and, perhaps most importantly, Scarlett. Hard to hate a movie with Scarlett. :wub: