What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Glad to see you enjoyed the documentary, I'll be seeing it soon too. I personally love their latest single "Not Ready to Make Nice", and this is coming for a person who doesn't like country (especially now), and never cared about the Dixie Chicks.

Haloween: 9.5/10: Not much to say about this film. Never gets too old, and Micheal Myers still freaks me out.

Shaun Of The Dead

8/10

Everybody has given it lots of praise on the boards, I remember seeing it a lot in the funniest movies thread, so when this was on Comedy Central I couldn't pass it up. I feel like it will be funnier once I see it unedited (secret stash is bound to show it) but it surprisingly had a good story to it unlike most comedies and had quite a few laugh out loud parts. Not the best comedy that I've seen, but still very good.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan 8/10

Totally histerical, with some real side-splitting moments and then plenty of other little funny bits. One of the funniest movies of the year hands down, with plenty to laugh at and enjoy.

B0006VL1J2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tae Guk Gi - 10/10

This movie doesn't just pull at your heart strings, it flat out yanks them. I swear I hadn't cried that much during a movie since I first saw Grave of the Fireflies. Definitely one of the best war movies I think I've seen.

B00005JPBS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39927896_.jpg

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan - 9/10

I don't believe I've laughed that hard ever at a movie before. Instant classic. No need for further elaboration, since you've almost certainly heard of Borat before, and you either think it's funny or not. If you do, then there's no way you can possibly miss this.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan - 9/10

I don't believe I've laughed that hard ever at a movie before. Instant classic. No need for further elaboration, since you've almost certainly heard of Borat before, and you either think it's funny or not. If you do, then there's no way you can possibly miss this.

fuck you, its not showing in my town :angry::angry::angry:

spoilers if you haven't seen the movie

Click (2006)

A few years ago Adam Sandler did an attempt at Spanglish. I found it was a bad movie. Felt it should have went to comedy. But after seeing this, I'd like to see him do more drama. First of all, this movie was TERRIBLY advertised. Anyhow who saw it knows the first half and second half are entirely different. The first is your average Adam Sandler slapstick humour, which was kinda "meh" for me compared to his earlier movies. But the second half is really where the movie takes a turn for a best, when it suddenly turns into a dark drama. This is easily Adam Sandler's best acting in a movie I've ever seen him in (and I've seen most of his films), I just have one other fault with it. And that was the last 4 minutes. When Michael dies was a superb ending to what would have been a great movie, and one of Sandler's best. But when everything's ok at the end, did not go well with me. This is one movie that shouldn't have had the "happy fairy tale ending".

Without the last 4 minutes: 8.5/10

With the last 4 minutes: 7.5/10

spoilers if you haven't seen the movie

Click (2006)

A few years ago Adam Sandler did an attempt at Spanglish. I found it was a bad movie. Felt it should have went to comedy. But after seeing this, I'd like to see him do more drama. First of all, this movie was TERRIBLY advertised. Anyhow who saw it knows the first half and second half are entirely different. The first is your average Adam Sandler slapstick humour, which was kinda "meh" for me compared to his earlier movies. But the second half is really where the movie takes a turn for a best, when it suddenly turns into a dark drama. This is easily Adam Sandler's best acting in a movie I've ever seen him in (and I've seen most of his films), I just have one other fault with it. And that was the last 4 minutes. When Michael dies was a superb ending to what would have been a great movie, and one of Sandler's best. But when everything's ok at the end, did not go well with me. This is one movie that shouldn't have had the "happy fairy tale ending".

Without the last 4 minutes: 8.5/10

With the last 4 minutes: 7.5/10

I don't see why everyone loves happy endings. If done the right way, a sad ending could be just as good. And there's not always happy endings in life. Also, many great movies end on a down note, Casablanca, Titanic. Hell, even Empire Strikes Back ended on somewhat of a downer. And recently, Sin City.

And I'm not calling the ending bad, it was actually alright. I just didn't feel it really fit, especially with the last 40-60 minutes.

Click was aimed at the child demographic. Having an ending where the main charatcer dies, in the great way it was performed, is not how you end a childrens movie. I mean I was almost in tears during that last death scene and knowing that he comes out fine make it all better.

Children movies are getting more mature, but they still follow a linear stroyline. Guy starts with problem/guy is doing great, Somehtign happens which turns his life around, Main climax, Happy ending

Thats just how they all go

Click was aimed at the child demographic. Having an ending where the main charatcer dies, in the great way it was performed, is not how you end a childrens movie. I mean I was almost in tears during that last death scene and knowing that he comes out fine make it all better.

Children movies are getting more mature, but they still follow a linear stroyline. Guy starts with problem/guy is doing great, Somehtign happens which turns his life around, Main climax, Happy ending

Thats just how they all go

I don't agree with that premise, mainly because I don't believe it's childish to appreciate a happy ending. The central theme of the film is redemption. What's the point if we don't see the character given the opportunity to redeem himself? Imagine Les Miserables if Jean Valjean had waited until he was about to die before he recanted his criminal life? The build up, the greed, exploitation and eventual fall just make the redemption and resolution seem so much more fullfilling. Casablanca I hardly think was a sad ending. Yeah Rick doesn't end up with Ilsa, but everyone ends up alive (accept for the Nazi who meets a fate deserving of a villain). Empire Strikes Back was part two of a trilogy that would end up on a profoundly good note. And Titanic, well, I suppose you can debate whether that's a "great" movie. And I'm not saying neo-realism or even negative endings in general don't have their place. The ending to "The Bicycle Thief", for instance, is perhaps my favorite in film history. It's just to say that flights of fantasy and morality plays work a hell of a lot better when they're met with positive resolution. In "Click" Michael hasn't really redeemed himself when he keels over in the streets, he's just repented. And once we're drawn back into the present, he gets the opportunity to right the wrongs he was starting to perform. With that ending, it says "appreciating loved ones and life will lead you to a happier life". Without it, it just says "appreciate loved ones and life or else". I'd certainly prefer the former.

The O.C. - The Avengers - 6/10

I watch The O.C. more out of habit now then actually enjoying it but it wasn't a terrible episode. I like how the story is set up this year, although I will say the show will lose something if they complete the transition over to Kaitlin from the original 4.

Veronica Mars - President Evil - 7.5/10

An OK episode, I'm missing the point to this season though as it seems like the main mystery is not that important as it has barely been brought up in the last few weeks.

Boston Legal - "Trick Or Treat" - 7/10

This show has been way more balanced this year. Good stuff.

Smallville - "Fallout" - 6.5/10

This whole Lana trying to outbadass Lex thing is silly, quite like her on again off again ability to fight. Raya coming back was cool, even if it was only for one episode. Is it racist of me to have thought when there was a long fade in shot of two black kids playing basketball on a court that Pete might come back? >_>

amores-perros.jpg

Amores Perros - 8.5/10

It's been over a year since I last saw it, and I nearly forgot how good of a movie this is, especially Octavio & Susana's story, and El Chivo's story. The middle is story is, without a doubt (at least in my mind), the weakest of the stories, but I guess it serves its purpose, and the other two more than make up for it. This was the debut film by Alejandro González Iñárritu, who would go on to direct 21 Gram and the recently-released Babel, which I can't wait to see.