What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Infernal Affairs - 10/10

The movie that The Departed is a remake of. Figured I'd see it before I saw The Departed this weekend and I was not disappointed at all. Just an awesome movie. Can't wait to see if there were any plot points changed for the remake though.

Ringo said that watching that movie first hurt his impression of The Departed. Of course, he thought Internal Affairs was a heaping pile of shit. >_>

Guest muddatrucker

I watched Children of Men the other day, it was fairly decent, the end was a complete anti-climax though. I did like how future London was all smoggy and depressing and shit though. Its also quite nerdy that I could tell what the modified cars used to be...

I agree about the ending in Children Of Men, it's far far too abrupt, and doesn't really explain anything. In that kind of film, an open-ending makes sense, as it would ruin it if everything was just tied up neatly, but that ending was just cock.

American Splendour 7.5/10

Good film, with a fantastic, FANTASTIC performance by Paul Giamatti. The film shows Giamatti play underground comic book writer of the 1970's and 1980's Harvey Pekar, and we see bits of an interview with the real Harvey and his friends and family during the film. These interviews make you appreciate just how good Giamatti is, he has EVERYTHING down, voice, mannerisms, the 'grim outlook style', everything down. The guy who plays the nerd is very good too. It's a good film well made and tells a good story. Its generally all good.

The style is also good, with the whole actual drama/documentary/behind-the-scenes of the making of/live animation/sit-down interview merge.....

If I can find any complaints, it does drag a litle bit in the middle (during the part when he's got his comic book out, but before the Letterman stuff), and then totally rushes through the cancer part that follows on. Also, its only 97 minutes, but it is not a quick 97 minutes....

Overall, its a good quirky, off-beat film, well made and directed with a great lead performance that fills us in on the life (predominantly mid 70's-mid 80's) of underground comic book writer Harvey Pekar, with some good laughs and drama along the way.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut 7/10

When this first came out, I saw it lots and lots of times and thought it was histerical. Today was the first time watching it in years, and whilst it isn't as funny as I remembered, it certainly is still a fairly funny film with some good moments and great songs. Its the good way to do a film of a TV series in that it takes the show and adds that little bit more for the big screen. Has a few real laugh out loud moments, and the songs are ridiculously catchy.

The Wire - A New Day - 8/10

The Wire - That's Got His Own - 9/10

The Wire - Final Grades - 10/10

*SPOILERS BE HERE*

So this DID end up being my second favorite season, but fuck. They killed Bodie, man. Fuck. I miss him already. I like how, with the exception of Dookie, all the kids practically did a 180. Michael's now one of Marlo's soldiers, and he's pretty damn good at it. Namond has given up trying to be a gangster, and is instead now focusing on school and making himself better, thanks in large part to Bunny and even his dad. Randy.. well, his story was the most depressing, I think, as he's entire life got fucked because of Herc's dumbass. Everybody knows he snitched, so he was forced to move schools, and move into a house when they burned his down, injuring his foster mother, despite Ellis's wishes. Sharrod's.. well.. dead, so that's really a 180.

Now, I can't believe I'm going to have to wait for season five. >_< They've set up the final season to end up being so fucking good, what with MCU being brought back to life, and Lester practically running it, and with McNulty returning to MCU as a result of Bodie's death; Omar probably going to war with the Co-Op, Marlo included; Carcetti showing some signs of corruption, but ultimately doing his best to fix Baltimore; the entire Namond/Bunny relationship.. Just so many great stories they can go with, and so many great things they can do. And, of course, the world finally taking a notice of Baltimore as a result of the unvealing of the vacants.

But shit, fucking Bodie. :(

*SPOILERS BE THERE*

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Battlestar Galactica - "Exodus Part One" - 8/10

BG is seriously a bulletproof show. This episode was pretty much par for the course, but even when it's off it's still amazing. My only complaint is that Starbuck was on screen today for what, a minute? Hopefully she plays a bigger role in "Part Two".

Guest The Bleeding Heart Show of Ringy

Infernal Affairs - 10/10

The movie that The Departed is a remake of. Figured I'd see it before I saw The Departed this weekend and I was not disappointed at all. Just an awesome movie. Can't wait to see if there were any plot points changed for the remake though.

Ringo said that watching that movie first hurt his impression of The Departed. Of course, he thought Internal Affairs was a heaping pile of shit. >_>

Infernal Affairs - 10/10

The Departed:9.5/10

Amazing film, tied with Little Miss Sunshine as best film of 2006, and most definentley a frontrunner(at least in my eyes) for Best Picture in this years Oscars. The acting is top notch(well...except for the female lead, but we don't see too much of her anyway) and its my favourite Scorcese picture yet. Yes, to me its even better then Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas all masterpieces on their own.

I stayed in bed all day today, so took the chance to watch a couple of DVDs I hadn't got round to seeing yet...

Broken Flowers

It's Jim Jarmusch and Bill Murray, so I knew from day one that I was going to like it, but it wasn't really all I expected. I was expecting it to be much more comedic (albeit dryly) than it turned out to be, but other than that I don't really know what I was anticipating. Murray was, as always, perfect, but certain characters and aspects of the film seemed slightly pointless, although that's pure Jarmusch, the idea that life is random and without structure, so not everything that occurs in his films has any real relevance to the point. The ending was really abrupt, but I can't think of any better ways to tie up the story.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Wow. Best romance film I've seen since A Life Less Ordinary, possibly ever. I didn't especially enjoy the ending, but apart from all that it was perfect. Absolutely perfect, superb story, superb directing, superb editing, superb acting...just overwhelming, really.

Not strictly television, as it was a DVD, but not a movie neither.

It was...Doctor Terribles House of Horrible, the Steve Coogan TV series. Saw it gathering dust and stuck it on. Really forgot how much I loved this programme, with episodes including Frenzy of Tongs and Captain Slater, Witch Locater among the funniest things I've seen. 9.5/10.

And apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I've tried to use my better judgement, but you know how it is. :)

Not strictly television, as it was a DVD, but not a movie neither.

It was...Doctor Terribles House of Horrible, the Steve Coogan TV series. Saw it gathering dust and stuck it on. Really forgot how much I loved this programme, with episodes including Frenzy of Tongs and Captain Slater, Witch Locater among the funniest things I've seen. 9.5/10.

And apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I've tried to use my better judgement, but you know how it is. :)

"You sir....are a big crab!"