What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

Brotherhood - Ep. 1 "Mark 8:36" - 6/10

Decent enough to get me interested in watching the rest of the series, but nothing spectacular or awe-inspiring in the least.

Brotherhood - Ep. 2 "Genesis 27:29" - 7.5/10

An improvement over the initial episode, and that's mainly because Jason Isaac's character has begun putting his plans in motion.

How dare you rank Brotherhood so damn low. :@

Dexter - Return To Sender - 8/10

And another great episode from Dexter. Sgt. Doakes was great with him quickly grabbing the kid by the wrist. What an asshole. He has no clue how to handle things like this and I liked it. Laguerta wasn't an annoying bitch in this episode for once. I liked how the Ice Truck Killer actually dove into the water and took out the female's body and placed it in the trailer for the Homicide Division to investigate Dexter's crimes. And the person in the car turning out to not be the Ice Truck Killer was a good swerve. But back to Debra, it seems to me that she is starting to suspect Dexter a little bit from the way she looks at him. I don't think she will come out and say it, maybe never, but I think she might have a clue. Dexter deleting his fake name and planting false evidence was also great.

I love this show. :D

How I Met Your Mother - "Swarley" - 8/10

Quite an ingenious episode. Barney's reaction to the "Swarley" nickname is just priceless and it's nice to know Morena Baccarin is still pretty hot.

The Class - "The Class Goes to a Bar" - 6/10

Better than the last episode I saw from the show, and it's starting to get genuinely funny, especially the Caplan/Ritter exchanges.

where-the-truth-lies.jpg

Where The Truth Lies - 4/10

Granted Alison Lohman was very beautiful in this movie and the scene with her and Alice was urm...well pretty hot. It's still a pretty dumb movie with Kevin Bacon's acting the only redeemable feature.

X-Men - The Last Stand 6.5/10

I enjoyed it more than when I saw it at the cinema, almost enough to make it a 7.

Of course, it still has its problems. There is little to no character development - Rogue in particular, one of the key characters from the first X-Men film does fuck all and only appears in a couple of scenes. A load of new characters are introduced and do nothing (The introduction of Angel in particular was pointless, he gets what - 3 scenes?), and just about every new 'Brotherhood' member gets no development or history or anything, they're just 'there'. Out of all the new characters, we only really get to know Beast even a little bit.

Then, it gleefully kills three of the most important characters in the entire history of X-Men (Cyclops, Xavier and Jean Grey) with little to no build, and with no afterfought given to any death so they have NO emotional pull whatsoever. All three deaths aren't that necessary - the death of Cyclops in particular being totally needless and pointless, and even then comes way too early - like the 2nd/3rd scene Cyclops is in, and then is almost never mentioned again, honestly what was the fucking point? Why treat the death of one of the X-Men franchises' biggest characters like next to nothing has happened?

Then, it spends the first half of the film building up the Phoenix saga, only to change to another X-Men vs. Magneto feud halfway through, nearly totally ignoring Jean Grey, and all she does for the last 45 mins is stand around looking slightly moody, so when she does die, no-one gives a shit, because she has been all but forgotten about, so its another emotionless death with no real aftermath (same with Xavier).

Oh, and their Colossus is American.

BUT if you ignore all that, and just switch off, its not THAT bad a way to spend 99 minutes. The action scenes are good, as are several of the performances, Hugh Jackman is as good as ever (but he IS Wolverine), and Halle Berry gives her best Storm performance yet, casting Kelsey Grammer as Beast is great, and everyone else does well. The story is fairly good, and the film generally serves as a good 'brainless' piece of entertainment. I can see why a lot of the more hardcore X-Men fans didn't like it, but looking past its obvious flaws it's not that bad a film under it all, and it is not boring in the slightest, it always keeps the interest level up. Its just not the killer film it might have been, and falls way short of the excellent X-Men 2.

So, overall decent, Perfectly acceptable, but it could have been so much better.

You, Me, and Dupree - 7/10

Accepted - 9/10

A great feel good, funny movie. That is what this movie set out to accomplish and it did so that is why it is rated so highly by me. I'm tired of people trying to rate them on a technical scale when if the movie accomplishes its goal, and does it well it's a good movie.

B000E6EHE0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54142484_.jpg

Just Friends - 7/10

Wow, I seriously liked this more than I ever thought I would like a Hollywood comedy directed by The Sweetest Thing director Roger Kumble. But yeah, I laughed a surprising amount of times during the movie and even when the movie sort of dropped into ridiculousness at the end, I still managed to enjoy it. Ryan Reynolds was awesome, as per usual, as well as Anna Faris playing a hilariously great character. (And Eli from The Girl Next Door had some funny moments as well.) It's not the smartest movie I've ever seen, but I seriously must say that as cliche as it is, it's an easy watch and very entertaining throughout.

Arrested Development - Development Arrested (AKA Harbouring Resentment) 6/10.

As a standard episode it was ok, but as a last ever episode, its poor. It has some nice touches, like Lucille trying to escape in the last ever episode the same way George tried to escape in the first ever episode. Also, in the first ever show, Michael says family is the most important thing, whilst George-Michael says Breakfast, and in this they argue the other way round. It had the odd funny bit too.

Its just as a last ever show, it wasn't great at all. It didn't seem like a last ever show. It had two/three major revelations (Lindsay being adopted, GOB dating Anne), that were almost afterthoughts, and left so much open. It didn't wrap anything up either, you could have stopped watching at the end of series one or two, and felt that whilst there was more to develop, you also had got things wrapped up fairly well, but here it starts a load of potential new stories, and doesn't wrap any of the long running plots up - point in case, the George-Michael/Maebe thing. If the last episode of series two had been it, then that was wrapped up OK, but this has resolved nothing, and feels like its just been forgotten, yet they set even more stuff up. It also wasn't a great episode to go out on, and didn't focus at all on a lot of characters (like Buster and Tobias).

Overall, it was an acceptable episode, just not a great last ever episode, and far from a classic ending. When the show was cancelled after series one, it was a classic show that went before its time, but each episode was brilliant with fantastic scripting. After series two - which was very good - it was then a very damn good show that maybe ended a bit soon, but you know it had been very good to exceptional throughout, and it had everything pretty much sorted. Bar two or three good episodes, series three was VERY average, it was mostly neither good, nor bad, barring those two/three great shows, the plots were all over the place, and it just wasn't quite as funny. This finale feels a bit like this. This finale was like season three as a whole - perfectly fine, but NOT an example of just how good the show had been.

Edited by timmayy rave

Dexter - Circle of Friends - 8/10

I like that the storyline revolving around the gay high school kid is finished and he is dead as it was rather creepy to see Dexter follow him around. I liked that Sgt. Doakes got the kid on a set up in the park and knocked over Dexter but I didn't like how they didn't go for Dexter. Don't they normally go after the person looking to get with the kid, too? Doakes and Dexter are great together in all the scenes they have.

Debra and Angel getting the Ice Truck Killer was good. The only thing I don't get is at the end where he doesn't know who Dexter is. You'd think a guy who went into Dexter's house, put doll parts in the refrigerator, and used old photos of him would know who he was. Does this mean the guy is not the Ice Truck Killer or he just never knew what Dexter looked like in the first place?

I liked how Laguerta didn't get her usual press conference and it was the captain who got it instead. Stupid bitch and her press conferences.

Stranger Than Fiction: 8/10

Will Ferrell's best acting yet. A sweet and funny movie all around.

Guest Ringo Masterson

House continued it's streak of awesome last night, with John Laroquette and House playing off each other brilliantly. I loved the set-up to the case as well, it was something different from the usual intro. The whole cop story has been pretty good so far as well, and Wilson is just a really great character.

Probably the most consistent drama this season IMO.

The House on Haunted Hill

Nothing like I thought it'd be. Still was a fairly creepy horror movie, that was full of suspense. I thought everyone did a good acting job, especially Vincent Price. And for something I bought for $1 at Wal-Mart, I'm pleased with my purchase.

7.5/10