P2P has no effect on album sales

MalaCloudy Black

The Journal of Political Economy is running the results of a study into P2P file-sharing, reports Ars Technica. The study has found that, contrary to the claims of the recording industry, there is almost no effect on sales from file-sharing. Using data from several months in 2002, the researchers came to the conclusion that P2P 'affected no more than 0.7% of sales in that timeframe.' 803 million CDs were sold in 2002, according to the study, which was a decrease of about 80 million from the previous year. While the RIAA has been blaming that drop (and the drop in subsequent years) on piracy, given the volume of file-sharing that year the impact from file sharing could not have been more than 6 million albums total. Thus, 74 million unsold CDs from that year are 'without an excuse for sitting on shelves.'

Source: Slashdot

I think ever since RIAA started using that ridiculous arguement people have been denouncing it as overblown propaganda, it's just nice to have a little research to back it up. No more than 0.7% sales though? Wow.

The only problem with the findings is that data from 2002 and say data from last year could be a bit different, and hasn't brought into effect newer technologies such as torrents.. (It probably would not be much different, but it's hard for me to think that leakings haven't affected album sales when certainly in the case of 2006 records like Lupe Fiasco's album, they seem to have had a substantial effect.) It is pretty obvious that is seems the only answer the industry has in trying to solve the crisis is increasing the saturated amount of CDs printed yearly, which is the bigger problem in music. If you release a billion CDs at one time, people aren't gonna care to buy them all.

Expect this report to be swept under the rug and flat out ignored, just like all the other times studies have proved this. Although, I did read a report yesterday that EMI is thinking about eliminating Digital Rights Management, maybe the record companies are starting to wake up a bit.

Working in the industry I can tell you that the above study might sound good, but it's not exactly accurate. P2P and other online methods of attaining music has drastically affected the sales of CD's. The downward trend for the past seven years is an undeniable fact, and it can directly be traced to online.

For every CD you buy, I'm going to download three.

But seriously...

leakings haven't affected album sales when certainly in the case of 2006 records like Lupe Fiasco's album, they seem to have had a substantial effect.)

Anyone who didn't buy Lupe Fiascos album is a moron, it's the greatest album of all time.

Working in the industry I can tell you that the above study might sound good, but it's not exactly accurate. P2P and other online methods of attaining music has drastically affected the sales of CD's. The downward trend for the past seven years is an undeniable fact, and it can directly be traced to online.

With respect, can you show this undeniable proof? Otherwise, I'm more inclined to take the word of an actual study.

EDIT: Also, this reminds me that I need to get "Food & Liquor" by Lupe Fiasco at some point. Jeez, I can't believe I forgot.

Edited by KouKou Yubari

In all honesty, I think the thing that irks people the most about downloading is that it decreases the ground between the top artists and the lesser known ones.

While a Platinum selling group may face a slight decline in record sales, they're watching a lesser known group making up for their lack of sales with increased sales of their own.

Do they factor in the idea of smaller record companies, or self-released CDs?

With downloading so widely available now, it's a lot easier to find things that you wouldn't normally see in your local CD stores. So yes...people may be downloading a Metallica or Bon Jovi or Backstreet Boys... but they're also now buying a Random Smaller Band album.

I really think it only bothers money hungry people. Yes, you want people to pay for your music so that you make money... so find a way around it. Michale Graves has embraced the digital medium and is making money off of his musics online now. What's stopping the bigger groups from doing the same thing? I mean, other than having the need to bitch about something.

I'm more tempted to buy a CD if I've downloaded it and liked it. Yeah, I know I already have the tracks, but I prefer owning the physical CD rather than mp3s, which is why I'm not massive on using iTunes music store and the like.

Personally, downloading music has led to a greater purchasing on CDs on my part. Since it's so much easier to just get a couple of songs to see if you like a band somebody has recommended you instead of wasting money on a CD.

BUT NO, SINGAPORE NEEDS TO IMPLEMENT A $1000 PER GIGABYTE FINE ON DOWNLOADING MUSIC

FUCK YOU SINGAPORE

Then you're stupid. And Justice For All rocks the shit.

You're wrong, of the "proper" albums - by which I mean all of them excepting St. Anger - And Justice For All is the worst. Except for Reload.

Keith is right. ...And Justice For All is greatness. How can you even say that it is the worst when it provided us with the fantastic "One"? Hell, "Blackended," "The Shortest Straw," and "Harvester of Sorrow" are also great listens. Kill 'Em All and Reload are easily worse than that.

Master Of Puppets > Black Album > Load (I am probably in the minority there, though) > Ride The Lightning > ...And Justice For All > Reload > St. Anger > Kill 'Em All

Master > Lightning > Justice > Kill 'Em All > Black Album > Load > Reload > St. Anger

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. Just gotta discuss Metallica whenever I can lol.

Anyway. I think since I started downloading music I have bought less albums than I previously did, not in overall number but in terms of albums bought per year if you catch my drift. However, when I do have some extra money I always buy an album of a band which I have downloaded. I know I like their other material so I'll get their new album. Or I really liked such and such album and I'll buy the album it was so good. The biggest way downloading has affected me is that I am buying concert tickets with most of my CD money. And I think that's better for the artist than me buying their CD and the label they are on taking most of the money.

I haven't bought a CD in years, and even then it was as a gift for someone.

The internet/P2P/torrents etc have really hindered my interest in buying CDs. When it comes to DVDs I'll download a movie/TV Show and if I like it, I'll buy the DVDs, but I have a different attitude when it comes to music, if I have it stored on my computer with CD Quality audio, I just don't think the album artwork/casing is important enough to shell out the money for.

If there wasn't a free option for downloading music then I'd gladly pay for CDs/legal downloads but as it stands now, I don't see the point.