Mafia Championship Series Signups

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE BEEN CALLED IN ON THIS DAY, TO BRING THESE SIGN-UPS TO COMPLETION.

The Mask of Norro, Norro-Aligned Verbose Pimp of Kaney has joined the game.

... shut up, GoGo, I am well aware of how lame that was >_>

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Thats it. I'm boycotting oldskool Mafia's in the future, thats TWICE I've been in the first two to die.

Worst part is I may be one of the few that ACTUALLY understood what oldskool said. Silly Townies.

Good Lord, it's not fucking rocket science.

If you lynch a townie, townie is role-revealed and not killed. Mafia gets 2 randomly chosen night kills.

If you lynch a mafia member, mafia member dies. Mafia gets no night kills.

And Ace better not boycott my mafias, there's six more rounds to decide a winner <_<

Edited by oldskool

It is easy to understand, as things are currently stated:

1) Nobody knows anyone's alignment.

2) Lynches are therefore random (we might hit a mafioso, but he will die and we're left with no clues as to the remaining mafia.)

3) All lynch consequences are therefore random.

4) All night-killing is random.

What's the point of this, unless it's to encourage the kind of meta-gaming I thought oldskool was trying to stamp out? In the absence of any other tactic, we might as well vote off the best players to give ourselves a better chance of winning the series as a whole, even if it doesn't affect this particular round.

This round is all about luck and survival, with a tiny bit of strategy. The whole point is to bring out your survival tactics; you aren't so much looking to win as you are to survive as long as possible.

Strategy-wise it's unique for that reason:

- Do you suggest a bandwagon against yourself? If you're town, it'll protect you for one night. If you're not, though, it'll lead to your own elimination.

- Do you form alliances to not vote for one another? You keep yourself from being lynched, and you're running on the hope you're mafia. But if you're not mafia, you're taking away your only hope of safety for one night and hoping the dice roll somebody else.

-Do you form alliances TO vote for one another? You keep the safety split amongst yourselves, and let the rest of the game work itself out; but this relies on hope that your alliance doesn't involve mafia members (as a lynch for them will kill them), as well as the hope that the rest of the game votes your way so that you win.

Three totally different strategies, just off the top of my head.

What kind of strategy can you possibly use to survive if all of the alignments and kills have nothing to do with player decisions?

I am not going to jump on board the "OMG FUX OLDSKULL" train, but you definitely made a mistake and this mafia is definitely not going to end well. I hoipe that you prove me wrong and the MCS is a success, but yeah, I am not holding my breath.

I'm still inittowinit.

It's definitely interesting, but I only have 3 complaints.

1) The writer ups are pretty short and sucky and makes this seem low effort, which is tremendously dissapointing.

2) How can you possibly judge someone's strategy and ability to avoid being the target of DICE? Yes, this is a game that depends on luck, and in and of itself, would not be a problem. But within the context of how it is being presented and explained... no.

3) If you're going to do something expiremental and such, then maybe telling people the inner workings of your diary with "OMG~! WHAT A TWIST~!" is probably not the best thing to do. Suprise = fun. Being slapped in the face with a ton of suprises outmoding our usefullness all at once = FUCK THIS I'M THROWING DOWNFIELD.

It was the first night, the first killings. I ended up having an assload to explain so I cut the whole "Ace walked silently through the valley. He knew something about Hugar that could save his life and he planned to share it with the townsfolk" speech and just jumped right to the action. I always found the whole "Who died, who did what" part of the writeups to be much more interesting/exciting than an essay elaborating on the various actions players made; I'll try to do better, if y'all want me to.

I've already elaborated on the strategy involved even though dice determines who dies. I agree that there's no real "strategy" for avoiding the luck of the roll. The point I'm trying to make is that instead of it being cut-and-dry "You're town. Kill the mafia without dying" and "You're the mafia. Kill the townsfolk without dying" and "You're individual. Kill everything without dying" this has turned it into "You're just a person. Put yourself in the best position to win, and hope the dice don't ruin your plans."

I'll be the first to admit that this entire round is based on being lucky; lucky to not get a roll saying you die, lucky to be not lynched if you happen to be one of the six Mafia members, lucky to win when you have no idea who's who and really have no clue how close or far you are to winning at any given point.

However, we can all agree that luck is a key factor in the game (Hell, Be won a Mafia. BE. If that's not proof of luck in Mafia, what is?), and it would be foolish to try to eliminate all facets of it to decide a champion. I made the decision to get the luck round out of the way now, rather than have it be a later round at a more critical time, where final rankings could be determined not by skill, not even by strategy, but by "Dice says you lose, ____ wins the first MCS".

And what I'm saying is that even the strategies that you've outlined will clearly be over-ridden by meta-gaming. With such a dominance of luck, people are just going to end up voting for the strongest players so they have a better chance of winning the series as a whole. It's already happening, in fact. Your strategies will not work on an individual basis. You can 'suggest' a bandwagon against yourself, but every other player knows perfectly well that you're doing it to give yourself a 75% chance of being protected (for one night only before you're an illogical 'lynch' choice.) Your other two strategies are variations of the same idea - that you can persuade over 50% of people to vote in the way you want, not the way that logic dictates (vote off the best players sequentially so we all have a chance of winning the MCS.) The only effective alliances will be 50% of players, at which point the entire game is meaningless because we have an impromptu mafia of half the players, because we're allowed to communicate.

There is no strategy except meta-gaming.

Edited by JudgeClassical