Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Enchanted Arms?

TGC

So here I am looking for a good RPG type of game for the 360, and I came across two that might be right up my alley. However I can afford only one, so I turn to you geeks for help. Srar recommends The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion quite highly, but I am also intrigued by Enchanted Arms, so tell me which is better. Please?

I have Oblivion and I find it great. I've placed tons of hours into the game and I haven't even touched the main mission. :P Not only is it HUGE, there's a bunch of things to do and it has expansions of up to 30 hours more gameplay coming out.

Enchanted Arms was the first game I ever bought for my 360, and as a fan of "Japanese Anime Style uh, style" [and JRPGs in general], it was absolutely worth the money. I sank something like 70 hours into it, and loved every minute of it.

Of course, you can sink like a trillion billion hours into Oblivion if that kind of game is up your alley. I didn't really like Morrowind, so I never picked up Oblivion.

Skimming through a review of Enchanted Arms, the two games seem like two completely different animals. Enchanted Arms looks like a standard, turn-based RPG, while Oblivion is more like a first-person action game with RPG elements. Enchanted Arms seems fairly linear, while in Oblivion, after the first half hour, you can literally go anywhere and do anything within the mind-bogglingly massive world. Enchanted Arms seems more-or-less futuristic while Oblivion is a standard LotR-knock-off medieval fantasy setting.

Oblivion is probably the best bet, it's fucking huge, incredibly detailed, very free-form and it's won tons of awards in various fields.

I've not played Enchanted Arms, but I found (and still find) Oblivion to be an addictive, immersive game. Lots of gameplay and a lot of variety when it comes to class selection, game direction etc.

You don't have to use First Person view.

The third person view is pretty impractical, though.

I agree in a way. I find it easier to run around and do things in third person, and fight in person. But yeah, if you're not a fan of first person then you always have third person.

Edited by FatherLLess LL McIrish

I went with Oblivion and am absolutely hooked on it. It's nice to be able to create a character that is of your own choosing, one who can be skilled in specific forms of magic, weapons, or other skills. I used to hate RPG's until I bought Oblivion, and now appreciate them (as long as they are not turn based).

As for the third/first person arguement, I prefer third person. First person is best if you're looking while picking things up, or using you're bow and arrow/projectile destruction magic.

Any suggestions on other western RPG's? Stuff that isn't turn based. (Y)

Another thing I want to add about Oblivion, something TGC might want to know is that you should be careful with autosave. The game autosave any time you enter or exit a building/cave/mine/etc. etc.

If you decide to have some fun and go on a killing spree, don't enter/exit any buildings as your game will be saved with unfortunate results. I got myself kicked out of a guild due to attacking a member and stupidly leaving the building. To get back in I had to collect a ludicrous number of items, so I just re-started my game. Plus, I don't like that if you play an older game, it will save over your new game on the autosave.

Basically, be smart with where you save. It's a good idea to make an extra save of something yourself in case you have a tendency to destroy shit for fun. I fall under this category and have screwed myself a few times.

The thing that sort of throws this off is that Enchanted Arms can be had for $40 CDN or less(I got it for $20 CDN) whereas Oblivion is still $60 or $70 CDN.

I don't know if it's the same in other countries but if it is and you are into the classic RPG style then the best option might be save a little money and get Enchanted Arms to play until Blue Dragon comes out in a few months. Then wait for a price drop on Oblivion. Not looking at prices though Oblivion is with out a doubt the better game

I've spent something like 30 hours in Enchanted Arm, and something like 75 hours in Oblivion. But now I'm not as into Oblivion since I fucked up and can't continue the storyline and was forced to start over cause I'm a n00b and saved over my file before realizing I screwed up. I'd definitely never pick EnchantArm over Oblivion.

I just hope now that we have these nexgen machines will see some more RPG's hit them over the PC.