EU3

I didn't see a thread for it on the first two pages, but I recently got the game and damn do I find it hard. I love the game, but I'm having a lot of trouble balancing everything. I tried a couple of games as Burgendy but got swallowed up by France and Austria. I'm having a lot more sucess with Portugal, colonizing the islands and such.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What difficulty are you playing it on? I tend to play and Easy and have an okay time about it. Played my first game as Leinster (only took me 150 years to unite Ireland, bastard English >_>) and my current one as Austria.

Austria are diabolically easy to play as, which is why by 1680 I've annexed both England and Sweden...this pissed people off somewhat, however, so with my reputation suddenly gone through the roof we're poised for the start of Europe's biggest war to date:

Austro-Spanish-French-RussianWar.jpg

Austria (me in green) and Castille vs. France and Novgorod. That little icon at the top indicates that my truce with the Ottomans is about to expire, so no doubt they'll be after my blood yet again. Aaand Aragon just lay claim to my throne, so they'll probably be taking a potshot as well.

I may well be about to get raped, but at least it'll be epic.

System requirements:

1.9GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent with 512MB RAM

(1.0GB RAM is highly recommended)

128MB Video Card with Hardware T&L and support for Pixelshader 2.0 or better

DirectX7 compatible sound card

CD-ROM drive

Windows-compatible mouse; Mouse with scroll wheel highly recommended

At least 1GB of free hard drive space to accommodate game files and saved games. This does not include any space used by the Windows® swap file.

DirectX9.0c

High-speed Modem connection is required for multiplayer games

Windows® 2000 (with Service pack 1 or higher) or Windows® XP (Home/Professional/Media Edition) with Service Pack 2

This information is based on specifications supplied by manufacturers and should be used for guidance only.

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3273112/Eu...II/Product.html

I'm running it smoothly on a 1.46 Ghz processor, 256 MB of RAM and a recently upgraded video card of 256MB. The only times it gives me trouble are on initial start up as it takes several minutes to load and when it auto saves, but besides that I haven't had it chop up on me or not run very well.

Well your new job should carry it no?

Heh, I bitchslapped the English out of my house. I had basically done nothing in Europe but sign an alliance with Castille. I am Portugal, so I had a safe buffer zone between me and the rest of the world. I got the Quest For New World idea and set off colonizing the Carribean Islands before landing in Florida and working up the coast slaughtering any injun that got in my way. The English I discovered, had a foothold in Quebec and the New England area. So I used my mighty Portugese navy to blockade their ports while my Cannons went to town on the English. I captured about 20 ships from the English. Now I've got the problem of an old world war that's about to come to my doorstep. I've got an armada in Portugese waters and some pretty good land defense, so I'm thinking I might just blokade all of their ports in England and stop them from being able to leave their island until we can negociate peace.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

Basic rule of thumb I've found: If you're playing as Portugal and don't prioritise keeping Castille as your bestest mates in the whole world, sooner or later they're going to turn around and fuck you over. And when Castille fucks you over, that is what is known as a proper raping.

Usually Castille allies with either Portugal or Aragon, and the two of them proceed to beat the shit out of the third one. Ah, the joys of inhabiting the Iberian peninsula. :shifty:

Hit me up on MSN if you want some modified files :) Basically helps to reduce the number of blobs (or at least, the speed at which they form) as well as tweak most of the advisors, ideas, graphics and stuff. Plus, no more 'WE'LL MAKE EVERY MAJOR POWER BE SOME AWFUL SHADE OF RED', which really ticked me off, being the color freak I am.

Where can I get a hold of this game? It looks amazing! Also can you link me to system specs cos my computer is the suckiness.

Yes, if there's one thing I dislike about Austria it's the shade of red. It looks like one big BBQ sauce stain across the continent. >_>

Certainly a change back to the 'old school' EU/EU2 colour of white would be in order.

Edited by stokeriño

The first few games I played I was just swamped. If you wikipedia EU3 and go to the like for the EU3 wiki page there's all sorts of FAQ's and country guides etc.

I've just conquered the Creek and the trade it's generating is huge, I'm getting about 2.5 ducats per month right now, so I'm rebuilding my Navy which was lost in the high-sea's while searching for the new world. I'll have 4 carracks by year's end to go with the Galley's and Cog's.

Actually what do the Galley's do?

I've colonized parts of South America, but they're not turning into cities, one has a population of 700 so soon enough I suppose. The Creek let me annex them so now I'm turning towards the Mohawks.

How do I see my bad boy points?

This looks very good. Multiplayer?
Online multiplayer, but I haven't tried it.

Actually what do the Galley's do?

I think they basically work the same as transports but are cheaper (I presume?). Due to their oared nature they're only really viable in the Mediterranean. I never build them myself.

How do I see my bad boy points?

Go to your country's screen in the top left where it says "We have an honourable reputation/very bad reputation/we are scum/etc.". Hover your mouse over that sentence and the tooltip will pop up to tell you what your actually BB score currently is. Hold it there a second or two longer and it'll also tell you how much it's currently decreasing each year.

So the Portugese Navy rides high. Or, sails for that matter. I completed my long but fruitful 10 year mission. Constructing 15 Carracks, and 10 Cogs. I now have a North Atlantic Armada to defend my territory.

I'm looking for a reason to declare war on the Cherokee but I can't seem to find one.

A spare Idea slot for that Deus Viet or whatever it is should do the trick if you don't mind the temporary stability hit. I know you'd get a stability hit for attacking without a casus belli anyway, but at least with the Deus Viet you won't get the BB points.

I'm trying to unite Italy as Tuscany at the moment. I've got almost all of the minimum required provinces to qualify me for the 'Italy formed' national event (even if it'll probably take 30 years to happen). All that's left is Roma, which is of course the Papal capital. I've already beaten them in two wars to take first Romagna and second Avignon, leaving them with no other territory, so the next war should finish the job. It's just a bloody nuisance that they have to be allied with both Austria and Burgandy. They're a right pain in the backside those two.

Edited by stokeriño

Have you tried allying with a country between Austria and Burgundy? If they accept it, Austria and Burgundy will either focus their attack on your ally because they're closer, or split up their forces to attack the both of you making it easier to manage them.

I've given up on the idea of war in Europe. It's just too costly for me, the land isn't very valueable and I can just roam the colonies building my treasury sky high, which in turn allows me to construct a massive navy and a formidable land force which can be used in case someone in Europe declares war on me. Castille tried it with me. They made some territory gains in a war with the French. They decided to try to attack me. I shored up defense on my bordering territories, but blokaded all of their ports on their main land. I must have captured about 10 ships from them. It also allowed for me to rape their colonies, as I occupied all the ones I knew about doubling my South American and Carribbean territory. With the war score so high in my favour they gave up all their colonies(6 territories) and Anduluca(I believe) which was a center of trade in exchange for peace.

I feel sort of bad slaughtering the Indians, I'm going to work my way down to the Inca Nation soon enough. In about 15 years the rest of the world will see the territories I've uncovered so the question for me is do I focus that time settling the territories. I've got about 50-60% of them in my control right now. Or so I blaze down the America's to attack the apparently quite strong Inca's.