MMA News and Discussion Thread

Apparently, Spike and UFC are figured that the PPV from Ireland will only be bought by hardcore fans, so there is little point in advertising too much on TV. They're putting most of their energy into the show after, which is probably a good idea, given that the shows following that until May are going to be lacking big main events.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

UFC 92's buyrate did either noticeably better than Randy/Brock (according to Dana) or very slightly worse (according to the lowest estimates available), which is a huge surprise.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Other notes from this week's Observer that I haven't seen in this thread:

-Lesnar/Mir will be on 5/23 most likely

-Liddell's next fight will either be on the same card or on the April show from Montreal

-Hughes/Serra will also be 5/23 (man that show's stacked)

-Possibility of UFC 100 being on the 4th of July in Las Vegas (talk of Evans/Rampage, TUF coaches, and maybe GSP or Penn)

-Roger Huerta is leaving UFC

Edited by Mr. Potato Head

Huerta originally took the time off from UFC to finish school, but got offered a role in the movie adaptation of Tekken. After that, Lions Gate Entertainment signed him to a three movie contract. According to him, he has intentions of returning to the UFC after his three movies are done.

According to The Olympian, a newspaper in Washington State, UFC veteran Jeff Monson has been arrested and is charged with first degree malicious mischief for spraying an anarchy symbol on a state capitol building in Washington. He is now being charged with a Class B felony and faces a maximum sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

Monson has mentioned that the graffiti was an act of protest against the economic disparities between the rich and poor and the war in Iraq.

Credit: fiveouncesofpain.com

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned but apparently Wanderlei has shot down a rematch with Liddell as the ME of UFC 96, citing that he only wants to fight every 6 months.

Shogun did not look good. Accurate striking, but very sluggish, gassed half way through the 2nd, kept his hands low, allowing Coleman to answer with jabs. Even with Mark exhausted, Coleman was still able to get some good take downs and get dominant positions.

Coleman asks for another rematch, I say give it to him. Shogun did not look good. I say if Coleman wasn't a beaten up, middle aged man, that was his fight to finish.
Hopefully for Shogun this was just cage/ring rust, because his stock does not go anywhere with this win at all.

Also, Joe was pretty annoying going on about Jeremy Horn's ability to defend himself in the fight. Palhares has 10 fights, a grappling-MMA crossover, just finally starting to face good competition, on his way to convincing victory over Horn, very well rounded fighter with maxed out experience, all Joe can talk about is how good of a job Horn was doing of surviving. Clearly Palhares is on his way to big thinks, exceeding expectations against Hendo and now handily putting away Jeremy Horn. Would have been more fitting to drop a few more pro-Palhares comments as the fight wore on.

Anyways, Hendo vs. Franklin is on now
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Hendo by split D. First round, Hendo. Third round, Ace. Second round was a close call, Franklin had some time to score on the feet, but Hendo was able to take control for what seemed like a more than half the round on the ground in top position. I'd love to see these guys hook up again, great fight.

Side note: Hendo caught Franklin with an accidental headbutt in the first which marked up Ace nicely and then caught Rich with an accidental eye poke in the final half miniute of the third round, just as Ace was getting ready to try to finish it. Franklin wasn't really able turn it on in the dying portion of the fight after it.
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Based on tonight's performance, if Liddell brings anything like his 'A' game Shogun is gonna get dropped. And early. I was actually a little disappointed with the stoppage in that fight, felt that the referee didn't give him a chance to show he'd recovered. Plus with less than a minute remaining it'd have been an interesting decision.

Photos of Semmy Schilt and Alistair Overeem actin' all chummy with Mr. President.

A few of them are here ----> http://www.mmanews.com/other/Photos:-Alist...Dana-White.html

Bigger photo ops have been taken with less aftermath, but it's kind of a random event to invite Alistair and Semmy to, in Dublin, assuming the trip was courtesy of the UFC. Anyways, the more notable things about the photos, besides posing with an ecstatic Dana White, is the that Alistair seems to have arrived in a kimono, while Semmy looks like he is ready to hit up the singles bar. Note the Dana White impersonator in the Overeem picture.

Never really paid much attention to Martin Kampmann's move down to 170, but I'm glad he won. I think Kampmann could be a true force as a six foot welterweight. I've very much become a fan of his over the last few years. He doesn't get much hype, I'd put money on Martin changing that at 170. I keep on forgetting about the dude, but Kampmann, more often than not, impresses and I like his stock to rise this year.
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm not even going to lie, I didn't even realize the fights were even on last night. For some reason I was thinking next week.

The results don't surprise me much though.

Same as this, totally forgot it was on. Rampage/Jardine sounds awesome, really looking forward to that.

Shame about Henderson winning. I just honestly don't enjoy the guy at all and just find him boring to watch to be honest.