MMA News and Discussion Thread

Yeah, that was last week and they played some of it on either MMA Live or Sherdog Radio --- can't remember which, maybe it was something else, but I heard it. :shifty:

Add that to Dan Hardy calling him a gimmick fighter and that his gimmick is that he revels in his Irish heritage *shrug*. Marcus then retorts that having a red mohawk and the bandana are more of a gimmick than someones heritage [/touche].

For the record, I'm on the Marcus Davis War Wagon for this fight. Hardy seems like a complete douche.

The fight should be great, but yeah, I don't really like Hardy at all. But Davis is wonderful.

Yeah, that was last week and they played some of it on either MMA Live or Sherdog Radio --- can't remember which, maybe it was something else, but I heard it. :shifty:

Add that to Dan Hardy calling him a gimmick fighter and that his gimmick is that he revels in his Irish heritage *shrug*. Marcus then retorts that having a red mohawk and the bandana are more of a gimmick than someones heritage [/touche].

For the record, I'm on the Marcus Davis War Wagon for this fight. Hardy seems like a complete douche.

I'm not sure I like Davis more than I hate plastic paddy's.

Confirmed Fighters for TUF10:

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (3-1)

Zak Jensen (7-3)

Marcus Jones (4-2)

Matt Mitrione (0-0)

Roy Nelson (13-4)

Brendan Schaub (4-0)

Darrill Schoonover (9-0; 12-0 as amatuer)

Wes Shivers (0-1; 6-0 amatuer)

Wes Sims (20-11)

Abe Wagner (6-1; 0-2 amatuer)

Justin Wren (10-1)

Open

Open

Open

Open

Open

Five open slots we don't know yet... but found these names at FightBomb.com

Likely:

Jon Madsen (2-0; trains out of the HIT Squad)

Jim York (10-2)

Scott Junk (6-2)

Mike Wessel (6-1)

Unlikely: Jared Kilkenny (9-6) - Source says he was set to be on the show; Another source says he failed a physical and he's not.

Confirmed Fighters for TUF10:

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (3-1)

Zak Jensen (7-3)

Marcus Jones (4-2)

Matt Mitrione (0-0)

Roy Nelson (13-4)

Brendan Schaub (4-0)

Darrill Schoonover (9-0; 12-0 as amatuer)

Wes Shivers (0-1; 6-0 amatuer)

Wes Sims (20-11)

Abe Wagner (6-1; 0-2 amatuer)

Justin Wren (10-1)

Open

Open

Open

Open

Open

Five open slots we don't know yet... but found these names at FightBomb.com

Likely:

Jim York (10-2)

Scott Junk (6-2)

Mike Wessel (6-1)

Unlikely: Jared Kilkenny (9-6) - Source says he was set to be on the show; Another source says he failed a physical and he's not.

Have you seen any of the other fighters apart from Kimbo in action at all Biggz?

Wes Sims used to be in the UFC and is only really remembered for stomping on Frank Mir's head repeatedly during a match and getting knocked out at 4:59 of the first round in another match. He appears to have gone back down to local level shows and seems to be winning a lot more these days. Trains with the Hammer House, which is the camp that Randleman, Baroni and Coleman train at. He's a big dude, like 6'10 and weighing in at the top end of the weight class.

Roy Nelson has done the rounds with IFL, Bodog and Elite. He generally loses to recognisible name fighters but does have pretty heavy hands. He's a pudgy fella though, which I think will be his downfall.

I've not really seen any of the others though, but having run some names through Sherdog most of them seem to be nearer 265 than 205, which would indicate that they're looking for people that are going to stay at heavyweight and not move down in class like Rashad did the last time they did a heavyweight TUF.

Edited by NBT

Outside of Slice I've seen:

Marcus Jones (4-2) - Trains at Gracie Tampa under Rob Kahn, has solid ground game, no fight has last over 2:37. Likes to bang, has a suspect chin, should use his jits more. Not terrible though, former NFL player, good athlete.

Roy Nelson (13-4) - Former top ranked HW. Heavy hands, heavy... everything, decent ground game, and don't let his size fool you. He's the favorite... think of it sort of like Mac Danzig, not in talent, but on the show. Experienced, decent guy who's game is far superior right now. At least a semi-finalist and quite possibly the winner. Did well against Arlovski, his loss to Monson was somewhat controversial (I scored it for Monson too).

Wes Sims (20-11) - Former UFC contender, but he's not all that great. Has more mental problems than physical... although he has the HammerHouse cardio aka next to none. His experience should carry him early in the competition at least past the first round of fights.

Scott Junk (6-2) - Been in the UFC before, only losses are to Christian Wellisch and Ricco Rodriguez.

Mike Wessel (6-1) - Former pro football player, been in the UFC and got TKO'd by Hardonk.

Jim York (10-2) - Fought James Thompson at Sengoku shortly after Thompson's bout with Slice on CBS. Heavy hitter. Has to cut down to 265, only saw his bout with Thompson.

Haven't Seen:

Zak Jensen (7-3) - Pulled out of a fight against fellow cast membe Justin Wren for TUF Tryouts. Rematch. :shifty:

Matt Mitrione (0-0) - Former NFL player, good athlete. Has to cut weight. Trains with Jake O'Brien.

Brendan Schaub (4-0) - Another ex-football player. Trains out of Greg Jackson's camp - training partner of Shane Carwin. 2008 Colorado golden gloves champion and 2008 Colorado BJJ Absolute Advanced Grand Champion.

Darrill Schoonover (9-0; 12-0 as amatuer) - Formerly held some random promotions' HW and LHW titles, so seems he'll be the smallest guy against a talented group of huge men. Probably see him cut to 205 in the UFC if he shows promise against the big guys.

Wes Shivers (0-1; 6-0 amatuer) - Supposedly took Rex Richards' spot on the cast. Shame, Richards would have been excellent on the cast.

Abe Wagner (6-1; 0-2 amatuer) - Apprently idolizes Cro Cop. Not quite sure what that means.

Justin Wren (10-1) - Greco wrestler who turned to MMA after injury against former #1 Greco Champion. Lived at the Olympic training center. Went to Iowa State to wrestle under Sanderson. Trains with Lutter.

Well Shivers just took someones spot when they couldn't, so probably availability on limited time helped. As for Mititrone, it probably helps he trains with a UFC fighter and got an endorsement for officially trying out. Probably impressed the guys and with O'Brien backing him he got on the show.

Question about UFC 99:

I read a lot of people saying that this is a great card. That's mostly because there will probably be some spectacular KO's... But I personally think it is a somewhat weak card as it lacks a decent main event. I'm glad that Kongo replaced Herring as I think both the Frenchman and Velasquez can claim n°1 contender status when succesfull, but both aren't main-eventers yet. The actual main event is Franklin vs Wanderlei. Both Franklin and Wanderlei Silva are nowhere near top contender status at this time, imo. Franklin left middleweight as he got beaten twice by Anderson Silva. Then at light heavyweight, he can't get passed Henderson. Wanderlei is 1-4 in his last 5 matches and has been knocked out by Rampage, Henderson and Mirko Cro Cop. He lost a decision to the meanwhile retired Chuck Liddell (who wasn't the big star anymore he once was) and had a win against unstable Keith Jardine...

So, now onto my question:

How long has it been ago that the two main-eventfighters of a UFC event came off a loss?

And do you guys agree that this is a bit of a weak main event?

How long has it been ago that the two main-eventfighters of a UFC event came off a loss?

UFC 76 with Liddell vs. Jardine from September 22, 2007.

And do you guys agree that this is a bit of a weak main event?

Not really, it makes sense as it is in Europe and no one in North America will buy these events on PPV due to the early start time of 3PM EST/12PM PST. They almost never put on high profile main events with the only big main event being Jackson vs. Henderson for the unification of the 205 pound titles, and that wasn't on PPV and instead shown on tape delay on Spike. So this continues to fit right in with the rest of the European cards.

Personally don't see the Main Event as weak, I'm actually looking forward to see what Franklin does. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking so, but I feel like this is an important match for him and in my mind, a must win if he wants to be taken seriously again. The overall card doesn't have me majorly hyped up, but I'll be watching. And it's no surprise with the hugely stacked UFC 100 coming up, which should be fantastic.

I've not bothered looking over this thread or any others so forgive me if this has been discussed, but what is everyone's take on Cyborg/Carano that's coming up in August? It's only over the last couple of months I've had the chance to check the two out and I'm pretty torn between the two, really like them both. I'm probably siding towards Gina (favourite wise, but I actually think Cyborg will win), but I'm really surprised as to how excited I am to see this fight :wub:

The CSAC agreed to let the Carano/Cyborg fight go five minutes in their five round 145 title fight. That's great and hopefully they keep the rules and other comissions soon follow and all allow 3 (and 5) 5-minute rounds for all women fights from now on.