MMA News and Discussion Thread

They never used to show UFC live on Bravo though did they? I hope we still get that. When will the channel actually officially go away? Will it still be around to show UFC 100?

Three whole posts above yours

However, negotiations are ongoing to get back together before UFC 100.

So, stay tuned for more information. As it stands now, UFC 100 would not be on Setanta.

From Marshall Zelaznik, president of the UFC’s UK division:

“It was with great regret that we ended the relationship with Setanta. Over the last two years, Setanta has helped the UFC become the biggest indoor sporting event in the British Isles. They were the right partner for us at the right time as we continued to build the sport of mixed martial arts and our brand. Throughout the last few weeks we have been kept informed of the situation at Setanta. Therefore, we are in a position to ensure our UK and Eire fans will not miss any of this summer’s huge UFC events — commencing with UFC 100 in July. We will be announcing the new home of UFC shortly but assure our fans they won’t miss any of the upcoming super-fights.”

The UFC is currently negotiating a new broadcast deal with a new network, presumably Bravo, home to UFC programming prior to the deal with Setanta or even Sky.

-MMAMania.com

If they want to continue with PPV over here it has to be Sky Sports. Shows on Bravo were often shown on a 48 hour tape delay. (edit: I may be wrong on this, but I believe Bravo doesn't have the facilities to run a live show.)

Edited by Pariah

From www.mmaweekly.com:

Not only was Toughill eager to speak about her experience on Time Warp, but she’s excited to announce that she’s lined up her next fight.

“I don’t know who my opponent is yet, because they’re talking to a couple of people, but I’m fighting August 15 on the undercard for the Strikeforce show,” said Toughill. “It’s pretty amazing that they’re having two female fights on that show, and is a huge thing for our sport.

I think this is a very good move of Strikeforce. They have to start thinking what they'll do after Carano Vs Cyborg. The winner will be the first female champ and needs a worthy contender. Someone that preferably the fans allready have seen. Erin Toughill vs ? as a sort of n°1 contenders match is a really good idea imo. I think it's probably going to be Roxanne Modafferi or Sarah Kaufmann (if she's fit allready after her matches with Miesha Tate & Baszler). Tara LaRosa would be cool too... What do you guys think?

And to be a bit chauvinistic: Strikeforce should sign Belgian Cindy Dandois. She beat Marlies Coenen in her first MMA match!

Man, first the football and now this. :( . Sentanta was so awesome. I'd hate for them to go to Virgin 1, because I don't get that channel and I really want to see UFC 100. I'd love it if they got on Sky Sports, or hell Bravo at the very worst. For some reason I could see Five picking them up but I Doubt it.

According to Sherdog, Roger Huerta will finally return to finish out his contract at Fight Night 19 against Gray Maynard. With Maynard undefeated and if he gets a win over Huerta, this could probably put him in line for a title shot in 2010.

Edited by Fitzy

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That could be a really exciting match. Meltzer speculated the other day that Clay Guida's new role could be as a Fight Night headliner - it seems as though Fight Night is quickly becoming a 155-pound showcase.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Looking at the UFC 100 card, why is Akiyama/Belcher on the main card? I get that they want to get Akiyama over, but surely Coleman/Bonnar would have far more mainstraem interest? (Plus I'd rather see Jon Jones than either of those matches, but that's just me.)

Looking at the UFC 100 card, why is Akiyama/Belcher on the main card? I get that they want to get Akiyama over, but surely Coleman/Bonnar would have far more mainstraem interest? (Plus I'd rather see Jon Jones than either of those matches, but that's just me.)

I'm REALLY hoping to get that at least shown as a filler. That is one of the fights I'm most excited for.

So that I don't double post:

I was looking at stuff regarding Sapp/Lashley and realized that in his 10-4-1 record, Sapp has only beat one fighter who has a winning record. For sake of a fair argument, Lashley has only beat one man with a winning record although he only has 3 professional fights under his belt. Also, 5 of Sapp's 10 wins have come against fighters with little experience at five or less fights under their belts.

Looking at those numbers has really amped up my excitement for the fight as I think Sapp may be taking Lashley lightly due to his history of defeating lesser experienced fighters.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

Alan Belcher probably deserves the main card slot more based on wins than Stephan Bonnar does. While I am a huge fan of Bonnar, I agree with the decision that he should be put on prelims as he hasn't really done anything lately. He's lost to Jon Jones when he probably should have been able to beat him and before that has two wins in 2007 over Eric Shafer and Mike Nickels which is hardly impressive. And before that he lost to Griffin and Evans and probably should've even lost to Jardine before that one...So really, I think that while he is more popular, he doesn't deserve the spot yet. He needs to get out there and earn that main card spot again. It's like Brandon Vera and Kendal Grove. Both guys are/were popular and aren't doing so well as the last time they fought they both got put on the prelims.

As for Guida being a headliner for Fight Nights - that's the right place for him. He's the go to guy for exciting fights. He's charismatic and very popular and has several fight of the nights to his name. So he belongs there.

Tim Boetsch and Mike Ciesnolevicz are out of the UFC. Boetsch looks to be moving to Strikeforce for his next fight. Apparently Boetsch was released quietly sometime after his last fight in March, as I don't recall it ever being mentioned on any site and not here, either.

Edited by Fitzy

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Belcher/Akiyama deserves the spot based on wins/rankings/etc., but you know as well as I do that the majority of UFC fans would rather see two so-so guys with names they recognizes than two great fighters that are barely on their radar. :P

Meh, they are already getting Lesnar/Mir, GSP/Alves, Henderson/Bisping, they have enough popular fights. :P

I am surprised that they didn't give CB Dollaway a spot on the main card though. :shifty: Here is a guy who doesn't look too impressive and lost to someone with no MMA experience two times with the same extra armbar and somehow got on the main card of the big year end event. And even if it is only a prelim, he gets on another huge events. Why do they like this guy, I'll never know.

Spoilers for Lashley/Sapp, C+P straight from Sherdog:

Bobby Lashley vs. Bob Sapp

Round 1

Lashley shoots a double-leg immediately and takes Sapp down. He pounds on Sapp from Sapp's open guard. Lashley throws short elbows and moves into half guard. He could easily pass but stays in half guard and punches. No major blows have gotten through yet. Two minutes into the round. Lashley is scoring points, and Sapp has made no effort to get up. A big right hand from Lashley gets through. Lashley opens up with more rights, and Sapp turns away and taps. The ref misses the tap, and Lashley punches some more until the next tap is seen at 3:17.

Damn.

Because they spent $$$ on Sexyama. That's why. Akiyama needs to look better than he has, his speed has dropped off and that could hurt, but this is good for the middleweight division and UFC in Japan. That's why it's on the main card. And I'd MUCH rather have this than Coleman-zombie vs. Bonnar. Although I hope we see Jones. Still VERY disappointed with it being UFC 100 they didn't do a 4-hour PPV.

Looking at those numbers has really amped up my excitement for the fight as I think Sapp may be taking Lashley lightly due to his history of defeating lesser experienced fighters.

Nah, Sapp is a character and fights for money. He has always been a celebrity rather than fighter.

And as such this was an easy fight for Lashley. Went about how I expected it, once you hit Bob he wilts and cries.