Wintersun -- 8.5/10

Kamelot -- 8.5/10

Ensiferum -- 8/10

Edguy -- 9/10

Dream Theater -- 8/5/10

DragonForce -- 8.5/10

Down -- 8/10

Blind Guardian -- 7.5/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 9/10 (if you haven't heard them: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JO7TZGgBbOw)

Bands I haven't heard much of

In Flames

Suidakra

Necrophagist

This is my first visit to this board, I just wanted to see the musical tastes here (at least within the genre that I like the most)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you and I will get along just fine.. :shifty:

Iced Earth -- 7/10 (their songs sound even less different to each other than Motorhead's, but hey, most of 'em are good)

Hammerfall -- 8/10

Nevermore -- N/A (Really should check them out if you almost gave them the same score as Edguy)

Symphony X -- 5/10 (There's only so much guitar wankery I can take. Yes, even me. And if I want guitar wankery, Malmsteen does it better).

Wintersun -- N/A (See Nevermore).

Kamelot -- 8/10 (One of very few bands that manage to be Power Metal, good and American, all at the same time ¬_¬).

Ensiferum -- N/A

Edguy -- 10/10 (Tobias Sammet owns your soul, and sub-lets it at the weekends without telling you).

Dream Theater -- 7/10

DragonForce -- 9/10

Down -- N/A

Blind Guardian -- 9.5/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 8/10 (Too screamy. But still awesome).

In Flames - 7/10 (Also too screamy. Although Paranoia is one of my favourite songs).

Other bands I on my regular playlist:

Sonata Arctica - 10/10

Rhapsody - 9.5/10

Stratovarius - 7/10

Machine Head - 4/10 (I don't know why they're still there...)

Finntroll - 7/10

Korpiklaani - 7/10 (except for Beer, Beer, which clearly deserves a 10)

Kotielielertoroisssuuus (fuck knows how you spell it. Unless you happen to be Finnish, then you probably do know, but still) - 8/10, even if I don't know wtf they're singing about ¬_¬

Lordi - 8/10

Edited by Farmer Reil

Guest Pringle

Iced Earth -- 8/10 - Were amazing when they had Matt Barlow on vocals but theyve declined a bit since. They still are a great band to listen to though. Barlow is apparently coming back to metal with the band Pyramaze

Hammerfall -- 9/10 - Good old Power Metal, its cheesy sometimes but Hearts on Fire is amazing to sing along to when wasted

Nevermore -- 6/10 - Overrated in my opinion, just one of those bands I cant get into

Symphony X -- 10/10 - This is a band who I would gladly commit genocide to see live

Wintersun -- 9/10 - Great band, saw them live supporting Amon Amarth, Jari is a sound bloke to match

Kamelot -- 8.5/10 - Great Symphonic Influenced Power Metal...can get a bit repetitive but all round, quite good

Ensiferum -- 1010 - One of the best new bands ive heard...plus they have the worlds hottest keyboardist (L)

Edguy -- 9/10 - This band is criminally unknown to the rock mainstream. They are amazing

Dream Theater -- 9/10 - In terms of Prog, only Rush can beat these

DragonForce -- 7/10 - Good band, talented, but all the songs sound the same xD

Down -- 5/10 - Another band ive just not been able to get into

Blind Guardian -- 7.5/10 - Hansi Kursch has one of those voices that sticks with you and they are great musically.

3 Inches of Blood -- 0/10 - BAD, HORRIBLE, JUST AWFUL

I think you and I will get along just fine.. :shifty:

Nevermore -- N/A (Really should check them out if you almost gave them the same score as Edguy)

Symphony X -- 5/10 (There's only so much guitar wankery I can take. Yes, even me. And if I want guitar wankery, Malmsteen does it better).

Wintersun -- N/A (See Nevermore).

Edguy -- 10/10 (Tobias Sammet owns your soul, and sub-lets it at the weekends without telling you).

Other bands I on my regular playlist:

Sonata Arctica - 10/10

Rhapsody - 9.5/10

Stratovarius - 7/10

Finntroll - 7/10

Iced Earth -- 8/10

Hammerfall -- 8/10

Nevermore -- 6/10

Symphony X -- 6/10

Wintersun -- 7/10 (You introduced me to them. They're alright, but nothing spectacular)

Kamelot -- 8/10

Ensiferum -- 4/10

Edguy -- 9/10

Dream Theater -- 9/10

DragonForce 9/10

Down -- N/A

Blind Guardian -- 8/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 8/10

In Flames -- 8/10

Sonata Arctica -- 9/10

Rhapsody -- 9/10

Stratovarius -- 9/10

Machine Head -- 8/10

Lordi -- 9/10

Down are quality. The first album, 'NOLA', is class.

Nothing better than waking up on a hot Saturday morning at Download, and seeing them play.

I've only heard of a few of the bands which are listed, soo..

Dream Theater - 8/10

Dragonforce - 5/10

Down - 8/10

In Flames - 7/10

Machine Head - 9/10

Iced Earth -- With Matt Barlow 10/10. With Tim Owens 8/10

Hammerfall -- 7/10

Nevermore -- 9/10

Symphony X -- 10/10

Dream Theater -- 10/10

DragonForce -- 8/10

Down -- 10/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 6/10

You and I are going to be good friends. Matt Barlow is god. <_<

Besides the low rating for 3IoB, excellent.

Glorious Burden was really good, but my favorite album is Night of the Stormrider. Angels Holocaust and Stormrider are my two favorite Iced Earth songs. Alive in Athens is the 2nd best live album I've ever heard, behind Scream for Me Brazil by Bruce Dickinson, which was simply electric.

Oh, and Barlow is awesome, but I'd have to rate it like this.

1. Bruce Dickinson

2. Ronnie James Dio

3. Barlow

Edited by RKOwnage

Iced Earth -- 9/10

Hammerfall -- 8/10

Nevermore -- 9.5/10

Symphony X -- 8.5/10

Wintersun -- 8.5/10

Kamelot -- 8.5/10

Ensiferum -- 8/10

Edguy -- 9/10

Dream Theater -- 8/5/10

DragonForce -- 8.5/10

Down -- 8/10

Blind Guardian -- 7.5/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 9/10 (if you haven't heard them: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JO7TZGgBbOw)

Bands I haven't heard much of

In Flames

Suidakra

Necrophagist

This is my first visit to this board, I just wanted to see the musical tastes here (at least within the genre that I like the most)

Most of those bands I don't really know much about. I've heard a bit of 3 Inches of Blood and they were alright for what they were doing. Dragonforce I used to dig quite a bit, but recently I've become bored with their sound. I also used to mark hard for Nevermore but have pretty much forgotten about them.

As for metal, I'm mostly a thrash guy these days. I've taken a liking to bands like Kreator, Sodom, Venom, Animosity, Celtic Frost, Aggression, Slayer, Bolt Throw, and especially Toxic Holocaust and Bludwulf. I think I like these style of bands due to a sort of punk influence in their music in the drumming patterns, and that some of these groups were heavily influenced by the west coast hardcore bands.

Yeah, put in a bunch of heavy/power metal bands that I rarely, if ever listen to. Okay.

Only ever listened to 3 Inches Of Blood (8/10) and Dragonforce (8.5/10). Necrophagist is technical as fuck and their solos really does remind you of Malmsteen. Some songs are worth listening for the solo alone.

My tastes range more in death metal (both brutal and melodic). That makes up 90% of my music. The rest is assorted stuff like Chimaira, Machine Head, etc.

Edited by sirdavinator

Glorious Burden was really good, but my favorite album is Night of the Stormrider. Angels Holocaust and Stormrider are my two favorite Iced Earth songs. Alive in Athens is the 2nd best live album I've ever heard, behind Scream for Me Brazil by Bruce Dickinson, which was simply electric.

Oh, and Barlow is awesome, but I'd have to rate it like this.

1. Bruce Dickinson

2. Ronnie James Dio

3. Barlow

Edited by Farmer Reil

Only ever listened to 3 Inches Of Blood (8/10) and Dragonforce (8.5/10). Necrophagist is technical as fuck and their solos really does remind you of Malmsteen. Some songs are worth listening for the solo alone.

My tastes range more in death metal (both brutal and melodic). That makes up 90% of my music. The rest is assorted stuff like Chimaira, Machine Head, etc.

I'm not much of a metal guy, so I'll just do this for the bands I've heard.

Iced Earth -- 5.5/10 (Alright. Find them totally overrated on here)

Hammerfall -- 2/10 (Really didn't dig from what I've heard)

Nevermore -- 8/10 (Good band, good, good band)

Edguy -- 8/10 (Good band. Cheesy but in an awesome way)

Dream Theater -- 9.5/10 (The mack daddies. I actually prefer them when they stray away from the rougher, metal edge. "......Scenes From A Memory" is one of my favourite albums ever. They do have their flaws though)

DragonForce -- 6/10 (Fun music, but totally overrated. THEY HAVE ONE FUCKING CHORUS!!! :shifty: )

In Flames -- 9.5/10 (Great band, horrifically catchy. One of the few metal bands I generally listen to a lot)

And yeah, any fans of "Into Eternity" here? Now that's some good stuff.

Edited by YI

Iced Earth -- With Matt Barlow 10/10. With Tim Owens 8/10

Hammerfall -- 7/10

Nevermore -- 9/10

Symphony X -- 10/10

Dream Theater -- 10/10

DragonForce -- 8/10

Down -- 10/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 6/10

You and I are going to be good friends. Matt Barlow is god. <_<

Besides the low rating for 3IoB, excellent.

Oddly enough, The Glorious Burden is my favorite IE album, but that's more because I'm a big Civil War buff. But Barlow might be the best metal vocalist of the last 15-20 years.

He just joined Pyramaze. Which is very cool.

Iced Earth -- 9/10

Hammerfall -- 6/10

Nevermore -- 6/10

Symphony X -- 7/10

Wintersun -- 10/10

Kamelot -- 7/10

Ensiferum -- 10/10 (only their S/T though. Everything else I'm not a huge fan of.)

Edguy -- 8/10

Dream Theater -- 9/10

DragonForce -- 7.5/10

Down -- 6/10

Blind Guardian -- 10/10

3 Inches of Blood -- 9.5/10

Other quality acts.

Lordi - 8/10

Necrophagist - 10/10

Turisas - 10/10

In Flames - 8/10 (Everything up to Clayman. Everything after Clayman I do not like.)