(Un)Official L33tist Music Thread.

ROC

Okay. before I go to bed, while I remember. Heard a bad ass song today, but no idea what it is. It's a dance/electro song. I presume somewhat popular, kind of Daft Punk'y. The vocals are like distorted/computerised...kinda...can't explain good. I remember it goes "I go to work on you, until you feel alright", and something about disco lights, I think. Basically just the same shit repeated. But it's a cool song. Any ideas? I presume it's fairly popular, as a lot of people seemed to recognise it. Or they're like me, and will dance to anything. :shifty:

It's MSTRKRFT's "Work on You". I was skeptical at first, but it says exactly what you mention in the first fucking line so, not hard to figure out at all.

(And AHA, YOU LIKE SOMETHING FROM THE DFA1979 GUYS AFTER ALL!)

Edited by YI

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Plan B for re-introducing me to the greatness of Miss Holly Golightly. Fantastic and under-rated musician, right there. Also loving Os Mutantes, Camera Obscura, The Concretes and Flat Duo Jets (think the White Stripes before the White Stripes) at the moment.

I've not heard much of Holly Golightly outside of Thee Headcoatees and her work with Billy Childish, but I'm inclined to agree.

It's all pretty good, but anything off the album "Truly She Is None Other" is her best work. I'd rate it higher than her Headcoatees stuff, and higher than most of her other Billy Childish collaborations, because it's pretty much the best example of her finding her own voice and style a lot moreso than she had done previously. Not to mention it's (like, I think, all of her work) produced at Toerag, but produced amazingly well all the same.

Okay. before I go to bed, while I remember. Heard a bad ass song today, but no idea what it is. It's a dance/electro song. I presume somewhat popular, kind of Daft Punk'y. The vocals are like distorted/computerised...kinda...can't explain good. I remember it goes "I go to work on you, until you feel alright", and something about disco lights, I think. Basically just the same shit repeated. But it's a cool song. Any ideas? I presume it's fairly popular, as a lot of people seemed to recognise it. Or they're like me, and will dance to anything. :shifty:

It's MSTRKRFT's "Work on You". I was skeptical at first, but it says exactly what you mention in the first fucking line so, not hard to figure out at all.

(And AHA, YOU LIKE SOMETHING FROM THE DFA1979 GUYS AFTER ALL!)

Edited by Mr. James Murphy

Okay, so "Dinosaur Egg" by Scout Niblett is one of the best songs ever. It's about how she's got a dinosaur egg, but she wants it to hatch, because when all of her friends come round on Friday, they'll be expecting to see a dinosaur, not an egg, and how she wants her robot slave to start working, because she doesn't want to have to serve everyone drinks herself. And other stuff.

Love it.

Far from l33t...but the "...ticking like a clock" bit is strangely arousing. :shifty:

And besides it falling to absolute lyrical shits in the second verse, "One a whore, nothing more, I'm sorry that'll never change" makes me giggle. I might have to get the album. :shifty:

Oh My God. I fucking love it. It's the first Strung Out acoustic song that I think works really good. There's a live Angeldust vid up as well from the same place. It's alright, but doesn't work as well as this. It's made 100 times better by Chris's "HUUUH", Jordan's knee slap drumming and by the fact they're actually doing it on what appears to be a fucking quarter pipe. Plus it's possibly my favourite song on BHOLA. :wub: And Jason gets his words muddled again. :shifty: I also love the fact they're all smart-casual outside of Jordan, who's like in shorts. I always think Jordan and Rob have looked kind of old (Especially when Rob was podgier), but Jordan really does look like a dad in a midlife crises here. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Correction: Beirut IS fucking immense. It's just one guy. Playing everything. Which makes it about seventeen times more awesome.

Edited by Q: Are We Not Men?

A: We Are Devo!

I saw the name, and had to respond to it. And somehow, I just knew it was Skumfrog with the Devo name. I dig it.

And to make this sort of relevant, I suggest people check out Digital Leather. They're a very cool modern synth group for people that are interested in electronic sort of music.

Guest Not The Ring

I'm fairly certain it's just one guy. He also had some pre-Beirut tracks, if you can dig them up, they're awesome too.

Also, Turzi is awesome. They're half-French, half-Canadian and they make odd music that's kinda post-punk electro-indie with a twist of drone. Their album is fantastic. I mean, they're so awesome their guitarist/keyboard player is called Hard Dick Gunther.

http://www.myspace.com/turzi

I think you're right about Beirut. Though he does have a live band (obviously). But yeah. Great, great, great, stuff.

About Beirut

a trumpet from Paris, farfisa organ, accordion, piano, ukelele, mandolin, glockenspiel, violin, cello, tambourine, The air powered organ I bought on twelth street, Congo drum donated from the neighbors....A broken microphone stolen from the university of new mexico

Okay. Everyone, get "The Same Channel" by Fat Jon & Styrofoam, electro meets hip-hop. I don't know why I haven't heard of this before, as I love Styrofoam and it's been out for a year or so. Not quite up there with some of Styrofoam's own albums, but it's still really quite interesting. "Bleed" inparticular is a standout track.

Also rocking the new Bad Religion release, "New Maps Of Hell". Seems solid, if uneventful at first. "Requiem For Dissent" is the first song that screams out at me as being great.

I really like the quirkiness and sweetness of Basia Bulat. Though, I don't see it as an album that will get played all that much. But it's definately solid, and really sweet.

Really not enjoying the new Silverstein. I guess I may have just outgrown them. With me basically only listening to their earlier material for nostalgia these days.

And "Icky Thump", I fairly enjoy. But it's nothing amazing. Nothing quite lives up the randomness and awesomeness of the title track.

Edited by YI

Just realised the new Rooney has leaked. I'm happy. :)

Not as good as the first album. :( But then again I wasn't expecting it to be. The new version of Tell Me ("Tell Me Soon"), isn't as good as the version that was doing the rounds late last year. :(

Some HUGE Queen influences on here. Which I'm not really fond of. As Rooney were one of the few indie bands with a very distinct style.

"When Did You Heart Go Missing", "I Should Have Been After You" (Which is SO Queen), "Don't Come Around Again", "Paralyzed" and "Believe In Me" are my favourite. NOWHERE near as good as the first album. :(

Edited by YI

• 2 weeks later...

Just got "Ghost" by Radical Face. It's by one of the guys from Electric President. It just sounds like Electric President, with less electronic stuff. It's awesome. "Welcome Home, Son" is absolutely fucking immense. Seriously people, you should track this thing down, or that track at least. This could easily be the 2nd Electric President album, in fact I may just pretend it is. :shifty: as the name Radical Face, is every kind of suck. But whatever. It's great.

Edited by YI