(Un)Official L33tist Music Thread.

ROC

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...anyone who has the Look Mexico album...hook me up. I had it...but it...dissapeared. :shifty: And I can't remember where I got it from. :shifty:

Ignore...it's okay.

Edited by YI

I've been checking out Part Chimp's "I Am Come" album a lot lately. Very very, interesting stuff. They really succeed in doing that theoretical "wall of sound" form of indie rock I like. If I had to compare it to a group...I guess it'd be like Secret Machines, which also have that "wall" approach.

Don't you love it when you discover a musican totally randomly? Like I just realised the hot woman shooting at me on the cover of "An American Paradox", is actually a singer from Canada called Anik Jean, and despite half of her songs being in French, she's great.

And the Look Mexico album is awesome.

Klima is really seet as well.

The new Flunk is a little hit and miss, but pretty much everything I've heard from them has been like that.

John Vanderslice (The distortion kind of annoys me at times though), Minus Story, People Press Play, Parenthetical Girls, Mice Parada and Animal Collective are all good.

Guest John Wayne Ringy

Anik Jean used to be a VJ on the French-Canadian version of MTV, she then started singing, she's surprisingly not bad.

And I think you're spot on with the comment on Vanderslice, there's way too much voice distortion on the album.

And the Mum album is delightfully great.

I dedicate all of my semen to Ringy for telling me about The Magnetic Fields and 69 Love Songs (the whole thing costs the same as a normal CD over here). Yes I'm very late coming to the party but for those not yet there get this album.

I echo any amount of love for 69 Love Songs.

I also repeat my love for Scout Niblett. Listen to Scout Niblett. And soon. If not sooner.

New Gogol Bordello is wonderful, too. Likey muchly.

Edited by Skummy Guðmundsdóttir

• 2 weeks later...

Back on the punk-rock kick. Got some albums from 2006 I don't have yet, as well as some stuff from 2007. Plus got the pmx album I had a while back, as well as the demo stuff of new material. I'm definately in the 'tech-punk' mood (eg. stuff like Whippersnapper, A Wilhelm Scream, Protest The Hero etc).

Got;

"After Dark" by Alucard

If you like Protest The Hero...check this out. Probably not as good as "Kezia", but still a great album

"Rise And Shine" by pmx

Best Scottish band ever...some cool technical stuff, brilliant melodies

"Cross The Void (Demo EP)" by pmx

At first they sounded like "Buddha" period Blink, then went on to be the band in "Rise And Shine", here it seems different again...occasionally sounding a bit indie and emo-y...I dunno...still shreds...poor sound though

"The Antioch" by Mourningstar

At times of reminds me of Strung Out with Davey Havok's talented twin brother who doesn't look like a girl, on vocals :shifty:

"Lets Run Faster When We Have Lost Our Way" by Spare Lead

Some nice, fast, poppy styled punk. Nothing ground breaking, solid album.

"Democracy Of Spreading Poverty" by Straightaway

French pop-punk styled band. Reminds me a lot of the last BeerBong album. Wouldn't surprise me if they're on the same label. The drumming especially is a stand out.

"Histories" by Go It Alone

Seems like a good hardcore punk album. A lot more variety in style than most of the other albums in the genre seem to have

"The Most" by Down To Nothing

Again with the hardcore punk. Better vocal work than Go It Alone, with the kind of 'shouting' vocals. Fast and frantic. pretty good.

"We All Go Down Together" by Attitude

Brilliant vocal work here, granted it wont be everybody's thing. Potentially one of my favourite punk releases from last year, which I just put off downloading for so long.

As part of my attempt to get back in the loop, I've picked up:

Jonah Matranga - And

Otep - Ascension

Au Revoir Simone - The Bird Of Music

Stars - In Our Bedroom After The War

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

Broken Social Scene Presents: Kevin Drew - Spirit If...

and Love Is All - Nine Times That Same Song

I likes what I's heard, so far.

That is fucking brilliance.

On the 'synth-pop- front. Whilst 'electro' the new Relative Q is great. No real vocals, but still some sweet little melodies.

http://www.myspace.com/relativeq (There's no new songs up though)

Also the Piano Magic 'side projects' are all seem cool. The Klima album is really sweet, check it if you like Imogen Heap/Regina Spektor etc.

http://www.myspace.com/contactklima

and the Future Conditional album is pretty good too

http://www.myspace.com/futureconditional

Oh, and the new, New Buffalo is fucking great

http://www.myspace.com/newbuffalomusic

Edited by YI

Justice & The Field are fucking amazing. They make my life so much better.

Been listening to a shit load of Bloc Party as I'm seeing them in September. They areeeee fucking awesome. I've even been able to dig their second CD.

Been digging the Format. Me and the boyfriend have been loving that album and its played nonstop here.

Someone mentioned Toyko Police Club... I hung out with Toyko Police Club because a friend of a friend was the drummer in the band until he left. Word.