(Un)Official L33tist Music Thread.

ROC

The new Strung Out song is in fact so awesome I could cry.

http://www.myspace.com/strungout

You can download it from the myspace. It's too fucking good. Better than 9/10 of EIO. I'm so-so fucking stoked for this album.

I WILL MAKE YOU ALL LOVE THEM TOO, DAMNIT!!!

And in other news. Tiger Army has leaked. I just haven't given it a proper listen yet, But it seems good.

Edited by YI

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, Pitchfork is shitting itself happy over the Battles album Mirrors and the Dan Deacon solo effort. I have only heard Battles...and weird as fuck would probably describe it best.

Having only heard the Battles EP, I can already say 'yummy' :shifty: They make a sublime sound.

Also, this morning has reminded me just how excellent Maximo Park are. Not many bands can make me grin from ear to ear within a matter of minutes. How big are they in America, out of interest?

Also, this morning has reminded me just how excellent Maximo Park are. Not many bands can make me grin from ear to ear within a matter of minutes. How big are they in America, out of interest?

I'm not huge on Maximo Park. I just hate 'Geordie' singers, and he's not even fucking geordie. He's from Billingham or somewhere. And my dad's from Billingham and sounds fuck all like that. To be honest, I like them musically, a fun band, but the vocals grate on me after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Battles are wonderful. I spent significant amounts of time on the Plan B forum debating what colour they sound like >_>

I'm really going off "rock music" lately, been listening to a lot of jazz, post-rock, drone, avant-garde stuff, even Motown Phil Spector girl band stuff....anyone got any suggestions of interesting/good stuff I might like that isn't bass/guitar/drums/vocals?

Steely Dan? Ugh. Fucking dreadful. Not to mention not being especially jazz. As far as jazz stuff goes, I'm thinking more '70s era Miles, latter-day or "Love Supreme"-era Coltrane, anything involving John Zorn, Acoustic Ladyland, that kind of thing.

Guillemots sound alright from what I've heard, I might try and get hold of more of their stuff. I heard them and Decemberists around the same time, and only bothered getting in to one of them...could you recommend me any tracks to check out?

Of Montreal I like rather a lot, although Barnes-y's got a little hit-and-miss lately. I've always got room for twee indie nonsense, though.

Never could get into DFA1979.

I'll check out The Rumble Strips, though, never heard of them before. What can I expect?

As far as 'jazz', goes, you really cannot go wrong with Don Ellis. The version of "Indian Lady" on "Autumn" is still one of the coolest things I've EVER heard. And I really thank my dad for getting me into this kind of music. A little Maynard Ferguson is good for it's sheer cheesiness, though it's basically just 'commercial' bebop. It's great fun too. You've also got bands like The Addison Groove Project, The Motet, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, The St Petersburg Ska-Jazz Review and Motek you could look into as well. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're after though.

Stars Of The Lid are a must. Ambience at its fucking best. "(Stars Of The Lid) And Their Refinement Of The Decline" is the most beautiful album I've heard in an age. It's just so fucking beautiful.

Moving Mountains are great as well. I picked up their album, "Pneuma" earlier this week, and it's beautiful. At their heart they're a 'rock' band, but very atmospheric and progressive, remind me of Dredg, but a little more 'out there', I guess.

Freak Kitchen's self-titled album is pretty fucking random and weird. There's absolutely no correlation between this and the rest of their albums. They started kind of like Primus, minus the awesome bass (And the Claypool vocals)...then there was this...then they became a very melodic based hard rock band (With badass solos). But this album is just strange, in some places it's between the two, but in others, it's just random like "Six Dildo Bob & The Bluegrass Samba From Hell", which is the best song name ever. They also don't take theirselves seriously in the slightest, "I am so proud of my haircut!!!" just goes to show that. Fairly guitar based though.

Erik Mongrain, acoustic virtuoso, or whatever. Really catchy stuff. Nothing quite matches up to the mighty "Airtap", but it's still a good listen. What he can make a guitar do, amazes me.

Small Blue also sent me some songs by "Twink", which are just downright fucking strange - http://www.angelfire.com/stars/twink/music/boysandgirls.mp3 I can't really track down anything else by them/him though. :(

You could look intostuff like Panda Bear, Apples In Stereo etc. for stuff vaguely familiar to Of Montreal.

Edited by YI

I got the Battles album ages ago, I just couldn't get passed the second song without thinking "ugh, what the fuck is this?" and listening to something else. But the songs on their myspace were better I think, that I remember anyways.