(Un)Official L33tist Music Thread.

ROC

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ringy is a God. Southland are great :wub:

I'm still currently rocking the SO, BhOLA. Got a new song, "More Than Words", which is on the first 5000 copies of the album. Much more of an old school vibe to it, which is good, it's catchy. My oppinion on the album has fallen slightly, it's great. But I'm not sure where it stands in relation to the releases by the Mad Caddies, Modest Mouse, Cooper Temple Clause and Big D (Who are all the step under Stars of The Lid, which was just in a world of badass of its own). There's 7/8 REALLY GREAT songs, and the rest, whilst all pretty good, all seem to have downsides.

The new Mandy Moore has a handful of good songs. A lot more 'grown-up', I guess. Some of the songs do little, if anything for me, but others reek of cool. She's totally fucking hot as well. Which helps.

Also picked up, "Astronomy For Dogs" by The Aliens and "I Believe In You, Your Magic Is Real" by YACHT. The latter is really quirky and catchy indie/electro pop. Probably wont be for everyone, but it's a fun listen. The Aliens are great. Lots of the songs have a 60's vibe. Some songs drag on a bit, but the melodies are good. The new Minus The Bear is top notch as well.

The new Joseph Arthur is really dissapointing. I loved "Nuclear Daydream", but "Let's Just Be" does fuck all for me. Far too many songs. Production is weird, as it sounds like it's recorded in a shed. Again, I appreciate that he's trying to push the boundaries of being another 'soppy' acoustic guy. But too many filler songs. Doesn't feel like a 'real' album. And "Shake It Off" is the most fucking disgusting thing I've heard in my life.

Been giving Justice a listen as well. Nothing phenomenal. They have some alright songs, but they seem to run ideas into the ground. Would be good for a drunk/off your tits dance though.

Getting hold of the new Dizzee Rascal and Beastie Boys at this very moment.

Edited by YI

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think I'd be able to get into a Beastie Boys that's just instrumentals. To me, that destroys a good deal of the charm of the Beasties which is their wordplay. And contrary to some I've talked to, I did like To The 5 Boroughs knowing that it wouldn't be another Hello Nasty or Paul's Boutique.

I thought it was kinda shit when I first heard it but it's definitely grown on me recently.

I haven't heard any other songs from the new album but I've usually always liked the White Stripes singles more than the actual album material.

Well when you do hear it. "Rag and Bone" is probably my favorite song of theirs.

All is well in the world of arrogance and elitism;

Done Recording!!!

Recording Completed

Hey! We're back in lovely scenic New Bedford (Bri's back in his homeland with Wolverine and Voivod) after a wonderful three weeks or so in Ft. Fun finishing recording our as-yet-untitled (workin' on it) third full length with Bill Stevenson, Jason Livermore and Andrew Berlin at the Blasting Room. Thanks to those brilliant individuals AND Johnny, Mark, Jason and also all the interns (especially Aaron) for making the record go so smoothly for us. Everyone outdid themselves, and that's saying alot considering their amazing track record over there.

Enough suckin' dicks.

We're finishing up the sequencing. It's gonna be a 13 song joint this time. A few songs are over the five minute mark. They're for the stoners. The vast majority of the record is fast. Very very fast. Actually, I think the whole thing's fast. The other two songs we recorded will find their way to you in special ways after the record's out. Those two songs aren't that fast (comparatively) so they didn't make the record. We really like them alot, so they will get released, but hey, they weren't fuckin' fast enough!! OK?! This one's built for speed.

Anyway, we're now compiling our ideas for artwork together and hopefully will be working with some particularly talented fellows soon to make our random ideas come to life. As fans of Mute Print and the Ruiner maybe could tell, we take the artwork very seriously (even though, as I'm told, nobody buys cds anymore! this shit true?!) and we put lots of effort and time and thought into making sure it goes way over most people's heads! Avoid success!!! We're going for a nice mix of both records' art in style and tone, I think we really got it musically, which was the goal. We fuckin' killed ourselves on this one to make sure we didn't disappoint you guys, the ones who have come see us play live the past two years. These are "live" songs for sure. Some are very Mute Print-esque, some remind me of Smackin' Isaiah, our biggest influence!

We're gonna try to get the art done in time to make a late August release via Nitro Records and Hot Sauce. MP3s will come, we'll let ya know when.

Let's die while we're young.

-trevor

Edited by YI

See, I like LCD Soundsystem, but I don't really get the fact that he's some kind of 'genius', which I've seen a lot of people hail him. He writes good electro/dance-punk, whatever it is. And that's about it. He's not some sort of new wave god. He's also not an absolute cunt for an American. I think that must be it. But yeah. I know someone who licks his arse to the highest degree.

See, I like LCD Soundsystem, but I don't really get the fact that he's some kind of 'genius', which I've seen a lot of people hail him. He writes good electro/dance-punk, whatever it is. And that's about it. He's not some sort of new wave god. He's also not an absolute cunt for an American. I think that must be it. But yeah. I know someone who licks his arse to the highest degree.

Von Südenfed is better.

I don't like what I've heard so far (that being "Rhinohead" and "Flooded", both thanks to Emperor Fuckshit)....Rhinohead is pretty generic...it's like a Fall B-Side with an electro beat...and Flooded is just dreadful. Mark E Smith should be doing so much better than that.

They're still better than LCD Soundsystem.

Four Tet and Steve Reid is the past, present and future of elitist electro, though. Incredible stuff.

I never got too into DFA1979, but I do enjoy referring to them as "Polite-ning Bolt", having spent time on the Lightning Bolt forums.

Guest Ringo Masterson

The Race's new album is fantastic. It's not technically "the Race" seeing as they broke up, but it's their lead singer and whatnot. He wrote the thing while on a trip across Siberia from Odessa to Beijing, hence it's a concept album about going through Siberia and it has this mixes electro, modern indie and post-punk in addition to having this sort of "snow/ice/cold" sensation to it I can't really describe. It just feels like the sort of album you'd listen to in late autumn or winter.

Just awesome stuff.

Edited by Ringo Masterson

PROTEST SONGS...IN RESPONSE TO MILITARY AGGRESSION!!!

Ass and I can't wait until the new Against Me! It's going to be a much more rock styled album, but I'm still hoping it will be good. The video for "White People For Peace" is up on youtube. It's pretty good, made even better by the random wrestling moves...WRAP AROUND DDT!!!!!

AGAINST ME! - "White People For Peace" - VIDEO

In other video news...and Strung Out news :shifty:. The video for "Calling" is now up. And as far as videos for 'indie' bands go, it looks really good. However, the matching attire and DUAL SOLO~! makes it seem cheesey as fuck. Looks great though. Definately better than "Analog" and "Mind Of My Own" (It's amazing how young they look in that vid), but not sure if it's better than the "Cemetery" video. There's just something about a hot, emo angel wandering around the streets that makes a great video...mostly that she's hot...but yeah. :shifty:

STRUNG OUT - "Calling" - VIDEO

And in my final act of SO shilling. You can stream the ENTIRE, "Blackhawks Over Los Angeles" album on their myspace site. www.myspace.com/strungout

In other news, I'm still trying to figure out if Battles are shit or not. I really quite like "Atlas", it's a could, dancey song. The bit around 1:15, is really sweet as well.

Edited by YI

I love Plan B for re-introducing me to the greatness of Miss Holly Golightly. Fantastic and under-rated musician, right there. Also loving Os Mutantes, Camera Obscura, The Concretes and Flat Duo Jets (think the White Stripes before the White Stripes) at the moment.

I love Plan B for re-introducing me to the greatness of Miss Holly Golightly. Fantastic and under-rated musician, right there. Also loving Os Mutantes, Camera Obscura, The Concretes and Flat Duo Jets (think the White Stripes before the White Stripes) at the moment.

I've not heard much of Holly Golightly outside of Thee Headcoatees and her work with Billy Childish, but I'm inclined to agree.

Okay. before I go to bed, while I remember. Heard a bad ass song today, but no idea what it is. It's a dance/electro song. I presume somewhat popular, kind of Daft Punk'y. The vocals are like distorted/computerised...kinda...can't explain good. I remember it goes "I go to work on you, until you feel alright", and something about disco lights, I think. Basically just the same shit repeated. But it's a cool song. Any ideas? I presume it's fairly popular, as a lot of people seemed to recognise it. Or they're like me, and will dance to anything. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Okay. before I go to bed, while I remember. Heard a bad ass song today, but no idea what it is. It's a dance/electro song. I presume somewhat popular, kind of Daft Punk'y. The vocals are like distorted/computerised...kinda...can't explain good. I remember it goes "I go to work on you, until you feel alright", and something about disco lights, I think. Basically just the same shit repeated. But it's a cool song. Any ideas? I presume it's fairly popular, as a lot of people seemed to recognise it. Or they're like me, and will dance to anything. :shifty: