Official Halo 3 Beta Topic

abundant

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah.

Just played a few rounds with Ellis, we both suck. It's a fun game, but I, still, don't see what all the fuss is about. A lot of the time I was chasing someone down and emptying my clip into them only for some other random guy to appear and snipe me from somewhere, but eh. I agree with Dan that Gears is better, but I don't know if it's because it's slower and more tactical, because I haven't had enough time to find the best way of playing Halo, or because I simply don't like fps's. I'll likely end up buying the game in due course, but only when there's absolutely nothing else I want >_>

It was balls. I invite Kaney in and the game tells me it's loading information from XBL. I get bored and go to the main menu to look around, Kaney gets angry and reinvites me. Within seconds we're starting a game. <_<

But yeah, we had some training games that were ok and then Kaney went off. I went in a solo slayer game and came third, I started off well but trailed away. Then I was in a Team VIP game that was a lot of fun and we won like 10-3 or something.

Dare I say I actually might like this game? I think it'd be cool if a lot of us had it and had some games going. I seem to prefer the team stuff so I can slack off and let someone else go express their uber skills.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStatsHal...r=Ample%20Salty

Heh, I forgot about the Oddball game. Basically me and Kaney exchanged turns with the ball whilst everyone else ran around killing each other and not taking it which pissed off Kaney.

Edited by Richard Ellis-Bextor

I've never played Halo multiplayer before, but after playing Gears and Crackdown for the past few days, it seems really, really slow.

I keep wishing for a Run button, 'cause it feels like my Spartan is just plodding around waiting to get sniped.

Edited by Doc Funky

That's one of my hates of the Halo games. You're so SLOW. It's like your maximum speed is 'light jog' and the slowest speed is 'snail's pace' when you pick up a missile pod or a turret gun. The snail's pace is so annoying, as when you drop those guns you just THROW them away as if they're lighter than a bag of crackers.

Of course, it's still just a beta. I'll be leaving Bungie some hopefully helpful feedback on their forums.

Another thing that kind of annoys me is that you can power up the plasma pistol on Snowbound and still walk through the plasma doors, but if you were to shoot it through the plasma door, it won't work. Surely there's no difference? And it would be cool if the power drainer disabled the plasma doors...seems weird thhat it stops everything from working and the doors are completely fine. Maybe just a graphical disturbance to show that it's having SOME effect but it still acts as normal. :)

It's SO BORING.

It takes forever to walk anywhere <_<

Played VIP, and you get one of two games: either the VIP camps in their original spawn (near impossible to get a kill), or the VIP camps somewhere up in the rocks that's a huge pain in the ass to get to (not even worth it as his buddies camp & snipe as you try to jump up the rocks).

Territories also wasn't fun, as you end up standing around waiting to get sniped as you try to claim a spot. (Also we had a guy quit before we even started, so it was 4v3. Even boringer.)

Played Rumble Pit...not sure how it decided that 5 players with >15 RP were a "Close Match" to me with my 2...

Hehe, it's anything but boring. I do hope they make the walking speed much faster however. But it's still just a beta, this is the game half a year at least before it will be ready. The reason for the beta is so they don't need to keep updating it after it comes out, a lot of the bugs and general annoyances will not even be in the Halo 3 release.

VIP is a great gametype, if you know how to kill their VIP. Sticky grenades (plasma or spike) will kill if it sticks him. The noob combo (plasma pistol + battle rifle/carbine) will work. Assassinating will work. Shotgun and melees will also work. The needler is insanely powerful now (that's why you can only hold one at a time as opposed to Halo 2 where you could dual-wield) and can also work. The 'noob bomb' which is the power drainer also works exceedingly well. It's easiest if your VIP goes in and focuses only on killing the opposing VIP's 'guards' then retreating to safety so his three teammates can go in and take out their VIP without the risk of having your own VIP killed. As the VIP, the best weapon to have is the shotgun by far, so if you get VIP go and see if the shotgun's there (underground in the middle where the two bases meet by the plasma door). You will be practically invincible.

Territories requires you to pretty much kill their whole team and get two or three people in the same territory (it goes faster it seems). That should get at least one territory. On a big map like Valhalla sometimes you only need to kill two of their team and have your team split up and try to take 4 different territories, because the map is so big you can only really be killed by long range weapons (sniper, missile pod, laser) which is easily avoided by covering behind rocks, ledges, parts of the base and caves.

And ranks mean nothing, Halo 2 should have taught you that. It sounds to me like you just have bad teammates most of the time who don't seem to help you when you need it. Playing a team game without any teamwork is futile. Unless the other team REALLY sucks. Which has happened a few times to me (whipping teams 3 v 4 after one of my friend's Xbox froze yet again).

First time I was VIP, I had one guy yell at me on the mic to stay in the base, and then another one yell at me to not stand around idle and do something less than 2 minutes later. :thumbsdown:, I'll stick with CoD3 unranked.

First time I was VIP, I had one guy yell at me on the mic to stay in the base, and then another one yell at me to not stand around idle and do something less than 2 minutes later. :thumbsdown:, I'll stick with CoD3 unranked.

• 2 weeks later...

I can now host custom games on the beta and it is fucking...spectacular. It's one of the funniest things I have ever played. Possibly THE funniest things ever. I feel like I'm going to throw up, my throat is killing me and my face is red raw. If you can, try and download the video from my file share bit, they're fucking insane. :D

Seriously. I CANNOT wait for Halo 3 anymore. It's fucking unreal what you can do in custom games.