Transfer Thread

ONO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think at some point Tottenham are going to see they spent the same on Bent as Henry was sold for and just think "oh shit."

I don't think we're spending exactly the same on Bent as Henry cost. Close to it perhaps but not actually £16m. If they rejected our £13m bid because they value him at £17m and we're supposed to have reached a compromise, it's likely to be £15m tops I'd have thought. Which is still too much for him, really. That's surely going to send Defoe on his way and I still don't see Bent as anything but a substitute behind Keane and Berbatov. Unless Jol is crazy enough to split them two up.

The fact that we've paid the same for Bent as Barcelona paid for Henry is a joke and highlights the lack of English talent and drastically overpriced nature of British players.

But I'll be the optimist and look at the positives - he's young, has scored goals for 2 seasons in the Premiership so is proven, rejected more money at West Ham (so is clearly here to suceed, not for a payday) and doesn't appear to be a disruptive influence.

Now buy a left-winger, that Kaboul and a centre-midfielder who isn't Reo-Coker please.

Even if its above £10m I'm still going to laugh at Spurs.

That pretty much leaves Defoe out, and Martin O'Neill says signings will happen. Well, I got that much, its just been too quiet to be honest.

Edited by Lost Soul

Tottenham have signed England striker Darren Bent from Charlton for a club record £16.5m.

Bent, 23, passed a medical on Thursday and signed a deal for up to six years with the transfer fee being paid in instalments.

He said: "Tottenham have a lot of young English players and it's a young squad, it's a squad going forward and that's the direction I wanted to take.

"It's exciting times for me and Spurs and hopefully I'll show what I can do."

According to the Guardian we've agreed a price for Torres, and now all we need to do is agree personal terms. I'm holding off on buying the shirt just yet, because I've got a horrible feeling he could have a Gerrardesque change of heart at the last second, but even so, very promising news.

I'd be sad to see Garcia leave because I think he's one of the few players in our squad that can make a goal out of nothing, but if it means we improve our front line tenfold then I'm all for it.

• Admin

DARREN'S A SPUR!

We are delighted to announce the signing of England international striker Darren Bent from Charlton Athletic.

The 23-year-old joins after making 77 appearances for the Valley side in which he scored 37 goals in all competitions during his two-year spell in South London. He began his career as a trainee at Ipswich Town, where he made 141 appearances and scored 55 goals.

The Cambridge-born player won his first England cap against Uruguay in March 2006 at Anfield before doubling his tally at Old Trafford when Greece provided the opposition in August.

Sporting Director Damien Comolli said: “Darren has showed fantastic motivation and desire to join the club and we are absolutely delighted to have him.

“He recognised we have a project here and as a player he wants to work with Martin Jol and showed that all the way.

“The two signings we’ve completed so far in Darren and Gareth Bale offer us massive improvement in terms of the squad, players with great potential whose best days are in front of them.”

Manager Martin Jol commented: “Darren’s strength is his stamina. Normally players will make runs three or four times in 45 minutes, he will do it all the time and if you manage to play balls behind the defence, he will be there. That’s what I like about him.

“He has pace, he links play well and can see a pass - he can exploit the space and play as well.

“He knows Spurs is the place to be and that’s something to be proud of.”

Speaking for the first time as a Spurs player, Darren added: “Tottenham have a lot of young English players and it’s a young squad, it’s a squad going forward and that’s the direction I wanted to take. They seem to be getting better and better every season and I would love to be part of that.

“It helps a lot that I know a few of the lads from England internationals and I’m sure they will help me settle in. It’s exciting times for me and the club, hopefully I’ll show what I can do at Tottenham and we’ll go on to win things.”

Still a shitload of money. At least its being paid in installments over three seasons.

Tottenham have signed England striker Darren Bent from Charlton for a club record £16.5m.

Bent, 23, passed a medical on Thursday and signed a deal for up to six years with the transfer fee being paid in instalments.

He said: "Tottenham have a lot of young English players and it's a young squad, it's a squad going forward and that's the direction I wanted to take.

"It's exciting times for me and Spurs and hopefully I'll show what I can do."

Next time save yourself some money and buy someone like Henry.... :lmao:

Not trying to wind up the Arsenal fans, but I'd rather have someone like Bent at the moment, then Henry, who give two years or so, I don't think will be banging in the goals as he used to. Fair enough, he had injuries this season, but when he played, he wasn't as impressive as he has been. Add the age of Bent against the age of Henry, I think comparing the two deals is pointless, and that, although over-priced, Spurs have got a good signing in Bent. I mean, Bent was the 3rd highest scorer in the Prem 2 seasons ago, and still scored a decent amount last season with a poor Charlton side.

Naturally, I'm looking more in terms of a long term investment than anything.

Edited by Liam Byrne

TheArsenal, I'm not sure if you realise, but Henry is 30 and Darren Bent is 23. That's seven years more playing time, which will equate (Spurs fans hope anyway) to an extra 200 league games and about 70-100 league goals. How many millions does that usually cost?

On my side of the fence there's some fantastic news. Our best two players, two players that not one club in the Premiership wouldn't like to have (and I don't think that's too presumptuous), have signed for five whole years (Cahill and Arteta). I could not be happier.

According to the Guardian we've agreed a price for Torres, and now all we need to do is agree personal terms. I'm holding off on buying the shirt just yet, because I've got a horrible feeling he could have a Gerrardesque change of heart at the last second, but even so, very promising news.

I'd be sad to see Garcia leave because I think he's one of the few players in our squad that can make a goal out of nothing, but if it means we improve our front line tenfold then I'm all for it.

The Garcia deal is independent of the Torres deal, but I think it's basically so we can say 'right, give us £5m for Garcia and then we can meet the release fee for Torres'.

Torres is an awesome player though, his scoring record for an average side is very good, and you don't get made captain at such a young age (19, I think) without being a bit special.

Reports in Spain suggest that Manchester City have lodged a bid for Fernando Torres but the Spanish international is still set for a move to Liverpool.

It is believed that three clubs, Liverpool, Internazionale and Man City have met the demands of Atletico for their prized striker.

However, Torres is set on a move to Anfield as talks continue between the two clubs - with a deal likely to be finalised within the next few days.

The news of City's interest is likely to have come on the behest of their manager-elect Sven Goran Eriksson - but their bid is almost certainly doomed to failure.

Liverpool have been brokering the Torres deal for the last week and they finally look set to seal the transfer this weekend.

The move has been smoothed over after Rafa Benitez relented and allowed Luis Garcia to move in the opposite direction.

Reports suggest that Garcia was keen to return to his homeland, where he is currently in the final stages of recovering from a long-term knee injury.

Garcia is valued at €5million (£3.3million) and will seal his deal, like Torres, in the coming days.

Edited by Turbonegro