Music Recommendations: 60's/70's

Rashid

For the last year, I've been hooked on rock music of the 60's/70's. Mainly Zeppelin, Floyd, Queen, Beatles, Dylan, and The Who.

Judging from the bands/artists I just mentioned what are some bands/artists of the 60's/70's you'd think I'd like? I was thinking of giving David Bowie a try, but want to know some recommendations from you first.

Simon & Garfunkel - folk/acoustic

Cream - blues rock

The Doors - psychedelic

early Fleetwood Mac - blues rock

Frank Zappa - blues/jazz/rock etc.

Jethro Tull - prog rock

Jimi Hendrix - blues rock

The Kinks - blues rock

Lou Reed/Velvet Underground - rock

Neil Young - folk

Nick Drake - folk

Santana - latin/rock

Status Quo - psychedelic(early)/hard rock(later)

Steely Dan - jazz rock

Weather Report - jazz fusion

Edited by metalman

David Bowie is a definate must. Bowie has taken the best of every era and molded it into his sound, so even when he wasn't commercially successful, his music was still kickass.

Also, KISS. Aside from the general problems people have with them these days...KISS played good 70's rock and roll.

Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs and Low are probably your best bets for an introduction to Bowie.

As for my personal '60s loves, you can't go wrong with The Velvet Underground, the first Pink Floyd album, Soft Machine, The Beach Boys (get "Smiley Smile", "Pet Sounds" and "Holland", three of the best albums ever recorded), or The Zombies (especially Odyssey & Oracle).

'70s...early Roxy Music, can't go wrong. Amazing music.

More along the lines of Zeppelin et al, Diamondhead are quite interesting, although a little later chronologically, it's the same kind of blues-rock mentality. Some Tim Buckley could be worth checking out too..."Happy Sad" tends to be a good starting point there, or you could throw yourself in at the deep end with "Starsailor", although that's a little inaccessible.

The Monks are an interesting curio, as well as being an incredible band in their own right when you consider they were around '64 or so.

Try something of everything.

- Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps

- Crosby, Stills, Nash& Young - Ohio (it's a single [two songs], but still outstanding)

- Roxy Music - Stranded

- Coltrane - A Love Supreme

- Talking Heads - 77 or More Songs About Buildings and Food

Edit: Skummy knows where it's at. Roxy Music is really worth a try. And somehow Pet Sounds missed my list.

Edited by caucasianheat

Check out the band Blue Cheer. They were around that time and never really got as popular as the rest of the bigger classic rock bands but they're a good band that I doubt you would've heard of.

If you like the heavy stuff, check out

Deep Purple - In Rock & Machine Head

Rainbow - all three of their 70s albums

Uriah Heep - Demons & Wizards

Blue Öyster Cult - Agents of Fortune

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog

Van Halen - VH

David Bowie is a definate must. Bowie has taken the best of every era and molded it into his sound, so even when he wasn't commercially successful, his music was still kickass.

Also, KISS. Aside from the general problems people have with them these days...KISS played good 70's rock and roll.

Problems?

Problems?

Problems?

Probably that they "sold out," which to me is code for "they're shite."

Haha, sold out, I assumed that was it. People who say KISS sold out are so right, but they've also got to realise that it's perhaps the best thing about KISS bar their music of course. Besides the fact, who can blame them for wanting to make a shitload of money?

Problems?

Probably that they "sold out," which to me is code for "they're shite."

Skummy had won the thread with the Monks, until Captain Cuntbag made the save with Blue Cheer, unfortunately, Cloudy countered with MC5. Basically, those are three fantastic recommendations. And my additions:

C.A. Quintet - I recommended them to 9 to 5 once, I don't know if he liked them, but they kick ass regardless. It's very good psychedelic rock, it's what I'd think of if somebody said "Psychedelic Rock".

Arthur Brown - This fellow helped bring pageantry to rock and roll along with a great sound. He was a spectacle for his time period (just check out the sig) but also produced great fucking music. His band was fantastic, and his vocals were absolutely powerful. His album "Crazy World of Arthur Brown" is his masterpiece, it's somewhat reminiscent of Frank Zappa's work, albeit more serious and dark.

Frank Zappa - Speaking of which, check him out as well.

Alice Cooper - His biggest claim to fame came in the 70s, but his best work was on his first two albums, Easy Action and Pretties For You. The album is a far cry from his basic 70s rock (which still kicks ass), but leans closer to a garage rock sound.

The Sonics - Probably one of the most influential garage bands in the 1960s. They are looked back at as a major influence on heavy rock in general with their screeching vocals and low fi sound. This is one of the birthplaces of dirty sounding rock and roll.

Davie Allan and the Arrows - I think some surf rock is worth mentioning. Davie Allen and the Arrows were a great surf band in the vein of Dick Dale and Link Wray (check them out as well). It's pretty straight forward, though it should be noted they did the music for the Peter Fonda movie "Wild Angels".

Iggy and the Stooges - I wouldn't forget the good old Stooges by any means. Where the Sonics left off, the Stooges (and MC5) picked up and reinvented the wheel. These guys are about as fucking raw as it gets, just a fantastic sound all around. This shit is potent and needs to be heard by any real rock and roller.

Fifty Foot Hose - Somehow, these guys might pull off the whole strange, psychedelic sound better than the C.A. Quintet. Not to say that they are better, but they do have a very strange charm about them.

Also, look out for the Nuggets compilation which showcases some of the best garage rock acts of the 1960s. It's probably one of the coolest compilations ever made.

As some have mentioned, Ziggy Stardust is a must have.

Definitely hit these

- The Stooges

- Velvet Underground

- MC5

I don't think anyone's mentioned the New York Dolls, they're worth a look for sure. Like The Rolling Stones, but a fuck load cooler.

If you're open minded and want to try something a bit different, check out the following:

- Captain Beefheart

- Suicide

- Television