Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

Seriously, have people watched the Premiership the last couple of seasons? No-one is saying Chelsea have won the league, but with how Man U and Chelsea have performed in seasons just gone, a 4 point gap even at this stage of the season is something of note, because Chelsea don't drop that many points.

I think all the top four teams will drop more points than they have in recent seasons. The likes of Man City, Newcastle, Spurs, Villa and Pompey are more than capable of taking points off them, whilst teams like Reading, Blackburn and even the Fulham's have shown that, on their day, can beat them.

You just mentioned Fulham so I'd agree with you, didn't you? :P

But yeah, nearly all the teams who were around the UEFA spots last year have improved the squads, so it should be a tighter season....which is what it needed to be.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, have people watched the Premiership the last couple of seasons? No-one is saying Chelsea have won the league, but with how Man U and Chelsea have performed in seasons just gone, a 4 point gap even at this stage of the season is something of note, because Chelsea don't drop that many points.

I think all the top four teams will drop more points than they have in recent seasons. The likes of Man City, Newcastle, Spurs, Villa and Pompey are more than capable of taking points off them, whilst teams like Reading, Blackburn and even the Fulham's have shown that, on their day, can beat them.

You just mentioned Fulham so I'd agree with you, didn't you? :P

But yeah, nearly all the teams who were around the UEFA spots last year have improved the squads, so it should be a tighter season....which is what it needed to be.

The whole Premiership itself is deeper. With it being such a rich league the gap between the top and the bottom is slowly shrinking. There's only so much money Chelsea and Man Utd can viably spend, other clubs are getting close to the level of being able to spend similar amounts. Sure Chelsea and Man Utd will have more money, and it'll be easier to fix their problem. But if spent right, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton, and others could surely get themselves right up at the top.

But there's only so much quality. The best players will still want to go to Man Utd/Chelsea then Arsenal or Liverpool, while other clubs (on the basis of this summer) spend stupid amounts of money on average players.

There's a lot more quality in the sport than 10 years ago though. There's only so many world class strikers Man Utd and Chelsea can buy up. And even then, that doesn't mean they'll perform or help the club much.

But there's only so much quality. The best players will still want to go to Man Utd/Chelsea then Arsenal or Liverpool, while other clubs (on the basis of this summer) spend stupid amounts of money on average players.

There's a lot more quality in the sport than 10 years ago though. There's only so many world class strikers Man Utd and Chelsea can buy up. And even then, that doesn't mean they'll perform or help the club much.

The point is we'd have had a hugely different start if we had even two or three of our injured starting players healthy. Unfortunately the ones we have injured are key to the team. I'd highly doubt Everton would have had the two wins they've begun with if they had, say, Arteta, Johnson and Lescott out injured.

Guest Ringmaster

Plus our strikers can't score.

I was watching highlights of Blackburn and whoever it was they were playing, but turned off the TV when I heard "Why is Blackburn's shirt not featuring any black? It's all blue!".

Give them some decent service rather than Jenas' "crosses" and Malbranque's nearlies and they'll be knocking them in in no time.

Would you still be glad if, at the end of the season, your in 18th/19th/20th position :P

I personally like Steeeeeeeeeeed, and think Boa Morte is decent too, although recently, he hasn't really impressed me as much as he used to when at Fulham.

The point is we'd have had a hugely different start if we had even two or three of our injured starting players healthy. Unfortunately the ones we have injured are key to the team. I'd highly doubt Everton would have had the two wins they've begun with if they had, say, Arteta, Johnson and Lescott out injured.

Right, WHY WHY WHY are people betting on Jol to be the next manager sacked?! Why the hell do we want him sacked?! So we've lost two games with injury issues...This is the guy who LAST YEAR got us into fifth for the second year running as well as a couple of cup semis and a quarter in Europe - who has made some excellent signings for the season who are currently injured or haven't fully gelled yet....

I'd personally say we need to KEEP HIM as manager WHEREVER we finish in the league. For me he's brilliant and is great for post-match interviews.

Baines is a proven premiership left back. Bale has not played in the Premiership. They are three key members of our squad.

Fernandes looks like he'll complete his deal this evening and might even be in the squad tomorrow, and it also looks like Yakubu is on his way too.

ALL HAIL MOYES.

You can't call somebody who hasn't played for your team yet a massive part of your squad. Sure, he may become one but not until he actually plays for your team. For all you know he could suck at Everton and you'll replace him next season, it doesn't matter how well he did at Wigan. You may predict him to become a major part of the team but until you've actually seen him play for you and seen how well he fits in, you can't logically say he's a massive part of your squad.