Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Admin

Makes sense to create the topic today - the fixtures are released tomorrow.

What I'm wondering is is that if Sheffield United to take their plea to Europe, and win, will they just replace West Ham and take over their fixtures? Or will the fixtures be redrawn for a 21 team Premiership?

Also, I'm tipping Utd to retain their title. With Ronaldo playing as he is, Ferdinand and Vidic rocks at the back, and Rooney's ability to change a game, you can't really look past them. Oh, and there is the small matter of Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson. I also can see Derby staying up, not sure how, but I have the feeling in my blood >_>

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparantly if shef win then the premier league next year will have 21 teams with 4 being relegated

Its going to be a wierd year for the league, with a lot of clubs being bought out by billionaires and what not, although im happy, rovers are going to be bought out by an american billionaire :D

Guest Ringo Masterson

Also, I'm tipping Utd to retain their title. With Ronaldo playing as he is, Ferdinand and Vidic rocks at the back, and Rooney's ability to change a game, you can't really look past them. Oh, and there is the small matter of Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson. I also can see Derby staying up, not sure how, but I have the feeling in my blood >_>
Edited by Ringo Masterson

• Admin

It's far too early to judge who can win the Prem. We have to see if Chelsea sign anyone, if Liverpool actually gets a striker that won't suck and if Arsenal will get anyone too.

Agreed - this is just my gut feeling as of today.

I'm hoping United can retain their title, but how would a 21 team premiership work exactly, as each team plays each other twice. Would it still work out that way?

Yes it will, it will just mean that every week, one team gets a free weekend, Everyone will still play each other twice, totalling 40 league games. IF Sheff U get it anyway.

I am predicting Man U to retain their title this season, Liverpool i will optimistically go for second, and Chelsea & Arsenal 3rd & 4th.

Discounting Sheff Utd, ill say Wigan, Derby & Fulham will be relegated.

Guest Not The Ring

Not the greatest opening few months for Sunderland, see no reason why we can't take 3 points against Tottenham though. I'd like 6/7 points by the time we play Liverpool in the 4th game.

I know it's months away but I'm hella looking forward to this season. Aside from the small possibility of a 21-team Premiership, it just looks so close on paper. The top four should only be stronger this season, especially United, Chelsea and Liverpool if they can land that frontman who'll score consistently for them. Then all the teams coming up look like they could avoid relegation for sure, while a lot of the teams in between have had heavy investment. Villa, Spurs, West Ham, Reading, Bolton, Newcastle, Portsmouth, Everton, Blackburn and Middlesbrough will all be aiming for a top half finish and possible UEFA Cup spots, with even some of those looking for a shock CL place.