Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

A few years ago there was a situation where Middlesborough played an ineliglble player and were docked points. I believe they went on to be relegated that season.

Wrong. They didn't show up because they had so many people out. I bothered to turn up to the game as well. >_>

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different cases though. Boro failed to fulfill their fixture duties to the league, West Ham fielded a supposed illegal player. The rights and wrongs regarding the Tevez case we can (and have) debate on end for pages more but the thing is Boro got docked points for a different crime.

I still get pissed off that Bury realised they had played an illegal player in the FA cup, owned up to it, and then got done worse for it than West Ham. Okay a visit from Ipswich in the cup wasn't worth 5.5m but to a team like Bury the money that would have brought in would be far more valuable to them than West Ham's 5.5m fine.

The problem is that, while £5m is an astronomical amount for a fine (Hell, it's nearly 2 weeks wages for some Premiership players :shifty: ) West Ham will now earn £60m or so because they stayed up. Sheff Utd, poor litle paupers that they are, will only get a £20m parachute payment.

So, if my maths is correct: West Ham gained £55m by virtue of not having points docked. Sheff Utd lost £40m by virtue of West Ham not having points docked.

If I was Sheff Utd I'd be fighting the decision until all avenues were exhausted. £60m can buy Bryan Robson a lot of crappy players.

• 2 weeks later...

Different cases though. Boro failed to fulfill their fixture duties to the league, West Ham fielded a supposed illegal player. The rights and wrongs regarding the Tevez case we can (and have) debate on end for pages more but the thing is Boro got docked points for a different crime.

I still get pissed off that Bury realised they had played an illegal player in the FA cup, owned up to it, and then got done worse for it than West Ham. Okay a visit from Ipswich in the cup wasn't worth 5.5m but to a team like Bury the money that would have brought in would be far more valuable to them than West Ham's 5.5m fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'll beat Sunderland on Day One. While I like Keane, and respect the football they played in the Championship last season, a team with our quality and ambition should be beating newly promoted teams. I'd suggest Sunderland need to buy a bit of quality, Koumas would be a good place to start, or they're desperately in danger of heading straight back down, regardless of their manager's future prospects.

If King is injured we've bought the French U-21 Captain Kaboul for £8.2 million, he has to be alright. I expect big things from Bale, if both ours and Man Utd's scouts see something in him we must have a real prospect. Hopefully Berbatov can avoid a difficult second season and pick up where he left off. Lennon needs to start taking more responsibility, which means more goals and that goes for all of the midfield really. I don't think we conceeded so many because our defense was poor, it was because our midfield failed to defend adaquately.

As for the title race, I get the feeling Chelsea will do it, regardless of who they sign. United have by the looks of things an amazing squad, as Chelsea seemed to this time last year, but rotation can be a problem. Liverpool always seem a team more suited to European football, buying one of Europe's most over-rated strikers has changed nothing in my eyes, while I expect very little from Arsenal.

Guest John Wayne Ringy

Looks like Blackburn have gotten really lucky in the Intertoto cup, what with the Poles deciding they wanted a rumble after the game. Probably gonna get a bye or something.

• Admin

Looks like Blackburn have gotten really lucky in the Intertoto cup, what with the Poles deciding they wanted a rumble after the game. Probably gonna get a bye or something.

Nah, the Lithuanians will get put through by default now (they were 2-0 up anyway).