Premiership 2007/08

Lineker

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I could see on that yellow card was that after he showed it, he pointed towards Terry. I'm almost 100% positive that we will hear that as the explanation when all is said and done. As far as the penalty, it was a bit soft, but I can sort of see the case for why you might make the call. That being said, it was harsh and maybe Liverpool deserved better. All that matters is that Chelsea have not gotten 3 points and that we are top!

The only thing I could see on that yellow card was that after he showed it, he pointed towards Terry. I'm almost 100% positive that we will hear that as the explanation when all is said and done. As far as the penalty, it was a bit soft, but I can sort of see the case for why you might make the call. That being said, it was harsh and maybe Liverpool deserved better. All that matters is that Chelsea have not gotten 3 points and that we are top!
Edited by therockbox

Liverpool got screwed there... Essien should've been off and no way in god's name was that a penalty, he was stood 2 yards away. Also Chelsea were about 5 yards back for a freekick but got away with it because the referee didn't even look.

Edit: How anyone can justify that penalty is beyond me, Malouda jumped into Agger, that was clear from the referee's angle, Malouda never even appealed for the penalty.

Edit 2: He'll still have to do a report, so we'll find out eventually.

Edited by - Matt -

Well by that reasoning Terry should've been off then. He showed a yellow card twice, the first to Terry the second to either Essien or, at least by your reckoning, to Terry again.

I'd like to raise a point and read other people's opinions on it. At some point all of us have watched footy at home and swore at the useless ref, and today is no different. There are far too many match-changing refereeing desicions that go wrong each week. But do you think that if one of us was reffing a Premiership match, we'd be able to make desicions which we see to be so obvious on TV or in the stadium?

My own opinion on this is that the great majority of refs ARE shit, and some can't keep up with play adequately enough. Others are too indimidated by players, or too strict, or too easily conned by divers. There are a lot of reasons. I think that if an average bloke (with passable eyesight and the ability to run enough to keep up with play) went and refereed a top flight game there would be a lot less bullshit.

Edited by Jack_Attack

Which then resulted in the Chelsea team crowding around the ref in typical Chelsea fashion. If that's the Ben Haim incident wasn't Styles booking Terry for the first time? I remember Andy Gray saying how the Chelsea players especially Terry shouldn't be crowding around the referee.

Also Styles wasn't going to give a free kick for Torres running into Ben Haim (so he shouldn't) it was the Chelsea players going mad and going on at him that prompted him to give the free kick apparently for dissent.