iPod Playlists

Benji

I just thought this'd be an interesting point of discussion, not the songs, but the type of playlists you have on your iPod or generic MP3 player.

For me, I have almost all Smart Playlists:

"Most Played": Shockingly, my 100 most played songs for chart effect.

"Music Videos": Music videos, d'uh.

"Recently Added": Any songs added in the last two weeks so I know what I haven't listened to yet.

"Recently Played": Any songs played within the last fortnight.

"Top Rated": Any 4* and 5* rated songs.

My only regular playlist is the "Current Playlist", which is about 25 songs that I'm enjoying at the moment.

Last 10 Played - Self explanitory

Phoenix - Bunch of songs with Phoenix in the title, used for working out a potential theme music for a CAW

Top 100/25 Played - Again, SE

360 - A work in progress collection of the songs that come pre loaded on the 360 hard drive

Madden 04 - Small ensemble of the Madden 04 soundtrack

On The Go 1/2/3 - Some playlists i've set up whilst out and about

Policia - Caus browsing via Albums is hard work

Punk Goes 90's - See above

untitled playlist - A bunch of songs I was burning to CD to rip to my 360 to play whilst I zombie killed in Dead Rising

That is all.

90's music - Music from the 1990's.

Music Videos - Video Playlist for all my music videos.

Top Rated - 4 & 5* Songs

Recently Added - New Music Added to my ipod

Recently Played - Songs recently played

Top 100 Played - Yeah too 10 songs I've listened too.

Bus - Music for playing on the bus, though I don't really this anymore.

Danfest - From the topic that was on here about creating your own festival I created Danfest :)

Never Played - Music I don't listen to.

I only listen to one album at a time, and I want I switch from album to album if I just want to listen to one song.

If I'm really stuck for something to listen to, I get to the library and just shuffle a song and see if it strikes my mood.

I'm such a playlist geek. Up until recently I had like 50, including a bunch of convoluted smart playlists.

playlists based on song ratings (so a playlist for * songs, a playlist for ** songs etc.)

playlists based on decade (1950's onwards)

playlists based on genre (I put genre information in the comments section in iTunes, since it allows multiple genres)

playlists based on artist (mostly for rap artists, collecting all their songs and songs they featured on)

playlists based on labels (I have a Kill Rock Stars playlist, a Rawkus Records playlist etc.)

a playlist of 100 songs, rated ****+, sorted by "most recently added".

a playlist of songs by female artists/bands with female singers.

a playlist of songs by UK & Ireland artists.

a playlist of songs by Nordic/Scandinavian artists.

a playlist for 'freestyles'

a playlist for diss tracks and rap battles

a playlist for cover songs.

a playlist for all songs from TV shows

a playlist for all songs from TV adverts

a playlist for all wrestling-related songs

The thing is, I rarely actually listen to them. I just tend to stick on my playlist of songs rated 4 or 5 stars and listen to that, or I create On-The-Go playlists based off artists I feel like listening to.

My 4G iPod is busted and I haven't used it in months so lets see if I can remember all of them:

HIM Mix - All my favorite HIM songs

Mikey Mix - A bunch of Mike Patton songs (mainly from FNM, Fantomas and Tomahawk)

D&D Mix - Songs having to do with fantasy elements (mostly 3 Inches of Blood, The Sword, High On Fire and Mastodon)

Techno Mix - Mostly remixes

Hot Stripper Mix - Some poppy, chick-friendly music

I'm sure there's a few more. I was about ready to put a Dir en grey playlist on as I had just procured their discography but then my iPod died. :-(

On my Zune:

A sleeping playlist (Relaxing songs that help me sleep)

A singing playlist (Songs I like to sing along to)

...and playlists for the following bands, with my Top 30 songs of theirs:

Against Me!

Alkaline Trio

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Cake

Coldplay

David Bowie

Foo Fighters

Incubus

Local H

Misfits (Graves/Only Era)

Nine Inch Nails

Offspring

Pixies

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Reel Big Fish

Weezer

The White Stripes

Edited by Ash J. Williams

I have a playlist of everything on my hard drive, on shuffle.

Other than that, my only playlist is my 'ShopSafe' playlist, which is basically the above but with songs removed that are inappropriate for the shop. Which reminds me, must remove Finntroll from that. Didn't go down too well :P

While this topic is here though, I have a sort-of-related question. Are there any media players for the PC with a sort of 'smart shuffle' option?

Due to raiding my friend's hard drive a few weeks ago, I now have the entire Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson, Queen, Slayer and Machine Head discographies. As a result, practically every other song is by one of those bands (mostly Queen or Bruce, for obvious reasons). I'm looking for an option to shuffle between artists, rather than songs at random. Or just a shuffle that realises "hey, these five bands have a shitload of songs, so I'll give them all decreased chance of being played'.

Edited by Farmer Reil

n/a

I am an album man. I just whack albums on and listen to them. Fuck playlists.

Yup; that's how I roll too. My mp3 player has no playlists, it's just a couple albums. Ghostface Killah's More Fish, the Dangerdoom album, etcetera.

n/a

Yup; that's how I roll too. My mp3 player has no playlists, it's just a couple albums. Ghostface Killah's More Fish, the Dangerdoom album, etcetera.

n/a

While this topic is here though, I have a sort-of-related question. Are there any media players for the PC with a sort of 'smart shuffle' option?

Due to raiding my friend's hard drive a few weeks ago, I now have the entire Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson, Queen, Slayer and Machine Head discographies. As a result, practically every other song is by one of those bands (mostly Queen or Bruce, for obvious reasons). I'm looking for an option to shuffle between artists, rather than songs at random. Or just a shuffle that realises "hey, these five bands have a shitload of songs, so I'll give them all decreased chance of being played'.