Star Trek XI

stokeriño

(this is an old thread I changed the title of, so as to help you with your confusion at this stage :shifty: Simon Pegg stuff is further down.)

Heroes villain lands Spock role

Heroes villain Zachary Quinto is to star as Mr Spock in the latest Star Trek film.

The Paramount Pictures film, whose working title is Star Trek XI, revolves around the first encounters between a young Spock and James T Kirk.

Leonard Nimoy, who played the original Mr Spock, will play an older version of the character in the new film.

Quinto plays Sylar in the hit US TV drama, which recently made its terrestrial UK debut on BBC Two.

The new Star Trek film will be directed by JJ Abrams, who created hit TV drama Lost and directed Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible III.

Christmas release

"We have a great director, a wonderful actor playing the young Spock... the answer is, it was logical," said Nimoy, explaining his decision to return to the role.

"This is really going to be a great movie. And I don't say things like that lightly," he told a gathering of 6,500 fans at San Diego's Comic-Con.

The latest movie, the 11th in the series, will be released in the US on Christmas Day 2008. The lead role of Captain Kirk has yet to be cast.

The original Star Trek TV series, created by Gene Roddenberry, ran from 1966 to 1969.

It went on to spawn 10 feature films, numerous spin-offs and a billion-dollar industry of books, computer games and consumer products.

Heroes, which was recently named programme of the year by US television critics, captured an audience of 4.3m when it debuted on BBC Two on Wednesday.

It has previously run on the UK's Sci-Fi channel and in the US, on NBC.

It follows the story of a group of ordinary people with superhuman abilities who are brought together to prevent a catastrophe.

- BBC.co.uk

Better than Ben Affleck, huh? :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Quinto will be awesome as Spock. He plays Sylar cold, almost Vulcan-like at times, and he looks very much like Nimoy. This news has certainly changed my opinion on this film. I was a bit nervous about this new film, with all the sodding Affleck and Damon rumours, but Quinto has changed my outlook on the whole film.

• 2 months later...

I figured I'd bump this rather than create a new thread (since it's all very similar stuff, and I made it originally so can change the thread title...). But, news just in:

Comic Pegg set for Star Trek film

Hot Fuzz star Simon Pegg is poised to play Scotty in the new Star Trek movie.

The British comic has been offered the role of the chief engineer, played by James Doohan in the classic TV series, his manager has told BBC News.

The film, directed by Lost creator JJ Abrams, focuses on the early lives of Captain James T Kirk and Mr Spock.

Star Trek's 11th big screen outing also stars Eric Bana, Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, and filming is due to start next month.

Screen success

Pegg's manager Dawn Sedgewick said he had been offered the part, which was now subject to "the usual paperwork".

US actor Chris Pine is in talks to play the young Captain Kirk, trade publication Variety has reported. Bana will play Nero, and original Spock Nimoy has a cameo role.

The film will show the crew meeting at the Starfleet Academy and embarking on their first mission.

Pegg, 37, found fame in TV comedy Spaced and went on to find big screen success by writing and starring in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

His other films include Run Fat Boy Run and the forthcoming How to Lose Friends and Alienate People.

Abrams and Pegg previously worked together on Mission: Impossible III, starring Tom Cruise.

I don't see how it'll work, but I mark for Pegg in anything. >_>

• 5 weeks later...

In even more random casting news, Winona Ryder just got cast to play Spock's mom.

On a completely off-topic point, I think Ryder looks so much sexier now than 15 years ago.

Okay, carry on with the WTF remarks.

(Oh, the article mentions that Canadian badass Bruce Greenwood is also in the film.)

Edited by ROC

On a completely off-topic point, I think Ryder looks so much sexier now than 15 years ago.

But she looked even better eighteen years ago than fifteen years ago or now. Veronica Sawyer was all sorts of beautiful.