NFL Overtime

OGpistolpete

I think NFL Overtime stipulations has always been under fire, because of how College Football does their overtime. Personally, I think College Football's overtime system is much better than the NFL's, because almost everytime, in the NFL, whoever wins the toss, wins the game, because it's much easier to drive down field and hit a field goal than to do what the teams in College Football do.

1. Because NFL kickers are 100x better than College kickers.

2. Because if your defense doesn't get a stop, your offense doesn't get a chance to try to take back what your defense just gave up, unlike in College overtime, and unlike in the regular game.

3. Because college overtime is much more entertaining.

Anyone else think the NFL should convert to a College system-type overtime?

Eh, I actually don't mind the current system. Obviously, you can argue it's not fair, but people forget that defenses do have the power to stop an opposing offense and force a punt. And probably most important to the NFL is that it doesn't have the risk to go on and on and on like college OT...at least not in the regular season.

A college style system might be great in a playoff setting, though.

If they switch it to College rules they would have to some way fix the scoring at the end. Because you don't want the game to be like 35-31 at the finish when starting OT it was 14-14. It just makes things all scrambled. They would have to figure a way out like hockey. No matter how many goals you get in a Shoot Out you just win by 1 in the final score.

If anyone understood that, that would be the best way if they converted to NCAA overtime rules.

What I like about it though, is yes, while usually having first crack at the ball is a huge advantage, sometimes it can hurt. Al Harris's interception returned for a TD in OT against Matt Hasselbeck a few years ago was huge.

The Jets had the ball first today too, and didn't win.

If it were up to me, I would incorporate a 5-minute continuous overtime period with each team having their full complement of 3 timeouts. If it remains tied, then the game is a tie in the standings and we would all go home happy and drunk. (H)

Tug-of-war! Whoever wins the toss gets the first play from the fifty-yard line. Wherever that play ends up is where the other team comes onto the field for their play (so if one team runs the ball for a 6-yard gain, the other team's play starts at their own 44 yard line). First team to score wins, but if someone scores on the first play then the other team gets one play from midfield to try to tie it; after that it's next score wins.

Tug-of-war! Whoever wins the toss gets the first play from the fifty-yard line. Wherever that play ends up is where the other team comes onto the field for their play (so if one team runs the ball for a 6-yard gain, the other team's play starts at their own 44 yard line). First team to score wins, but if someone scores on the first play then the other team gets one play from midfield to try to tie it; after that it's next score wins.

Gotta admit, that would be plenty entertaining. It's a pity it'd never be implemented (some team like New England would whine about how their style of play isn't built around the big gains and shit).

I like the College system, and like someone said earlier, just put one touchdown for the winning team, instead of having a ridiculously high scoring overtime. It'd be fair for everyone, because you'd need both your offense and defence to come through in overtime.

It's fine. Kickers in college are shaky, at best, from the 25 yard line. Kickers in the NFL can make that all day. If you want to do that, make it from the 40/50 and in. I still say its fine. If you're defense can't keep the other team from driving down the field, you don't deserve to win anyway.

They should totally do what the XFL did to determine who got the ball first. Put the ball at midfield, and have one guy from each team run at the ball, and whoever gets possession of it wins.

Either that, or play 'Duck, Duck, Goose' in the middle of the field.

I think if your defense can't make a stop when it counts then you shouldn't win, and shouldn't be awarded with an opportunity to do so

Exactly. It's a two sided game, offense and defense. If your defense screws up, then that's it.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to making it you have to score a touchdown in OT for the win, since not every team has Pele for a kicker, but still, that's the way the game is played - using the tools you have to win.